Where the old coins still run free

25 posts

» Quick access to the last post

I have identified 16 nations where there's still a chance of pre-1965 coins still circulating in daily business.

1) USA = Cents and nickels from the 1930s-1950s are commonly found in circulation on an almost daily basis, and are still interchangeable with those from the 1860s.  Silver dimes and quarters can still circulate alongside the current copper-nickel coins, so there's a ghost of a chance that you could find a dime or quarter from 1794 in your pocket.

2) Canada = Cents and nickels from the 1920s could still turn up, and dimes and quarters from 1858 could hypothetically be found in the wild.

3) Switzerland = The 10 and 20 rappen coins from 1879 could still be circulating, easy since the design has not changed!  Maybe the 5 rappen coins too, despite a color change in 1981.

4) Haiti = The 5, 10, and 20 centime coins are still made to the same size and weight as they were in 1907, so it's possible that a century-old copper-nickel coin could be found among the steel coinage today.

5) Panama = With the stability that comes with being tied to the US dollar, Panama's old 5, 10, and 25 cent coins from 1929 could still circulate.

6) Japan = 5 yen coins from 1949 could still circulate, and 1 and 10 yen coins from the 1950s might be hiding in Japanese pocket change.

7) Jordan = The 5 piastre coin from 1949 could still be found among the current coins!

8) New Caledonia = Coins from 1949 could still be circulating in the aluminum denominations.

9) Seychelles = The 25 cent coins from 1951 are interchangeable with the current design.

10) China = The fen coins date back to 1955, and seem to still be in production.

11) West African States = The coins of 1960 might still be found circulating.

12) Liberia = The coins from 1960 still could be used.

13) Tunisia = Like Liberia, the Tunisian coins from 1960 are the same as the ones made today.

14) Mali = The coins of 1961 might still be in use.

15) Kuwait = The coinage has remained consistent since 1961!

16) Suriname = The oldest coins still in use in South America can be found in Suriname, dating back to 1962.

While I am familiar with the old coin scene in America, I would love to hear firsthand accounts from some of these countries... do you really find old coins there?
It's not easy to find circulated old Canadian coins after RCM's "alloy recovery program"  :(

QuoteAlloy recovery program keeps Canadians’ pocket change fresh

Coin sorting machines such as those owned by Coinstar, are at the front line of a program to remove older coins from circulation.

Thanks to a little-known program operated by the Royal Canadian Mint, Canadians may have the newest coins in their pockets at any time since Confederation.

Called the alloy recovery program, it is system where older-composition coins are culled out of circulation and replaced with new versions. The old coins are mutilated and then melted for the value of the metal, mostly nickel for most coins.

The program was instituted in 2004, shortly after the introduction of plated-steel coins. It was introduced for the recovery of coins from five cents through to 50 cents. While the older five-cent coins were struck in cupro-nickel, the other values were all solid nickel.

The program also solved a problem for the vending industry, as the newer coins were slightly lighter than the old nickel pieces. That meant machines had to be calibrated with broader tolerance for differences in weight than normal.

For the Mint, the program not only generated revenue in the form of metal sales, but it created demand for new coins to replace those removed from circulation. The revenue from making replacement coins was not particularly large, but it did allow the Mint to keep presses running. In the 2013 annual report, the Mint said the program “generated capacity that could be used for foreign orders.”

The success of the program means that very few coins more than 10 years old remain in circulation.
Interesting Cerulean, thanks for sharing!

Quote: bbybugsIt's not easy to find circulated old Canadian coins after RCM's "alloy recovery program"  :(
 That really Sucks  :o
Taking a break from swapping for a while, but still interested in pre 1799 Spanish coins, I will make time for that!

Looking for pre 1783 coins
Yes Cerulean i think the US is really the only place left. I just got a 1937 penny in VF to XF. Free ! Found on the ground  at the store parking lot. People just drop there pennys here.
It is, what it is, or is it.
In Sweden you can still find the 1kr coin and if luck is with you, you might find a 2kr coin, they are both still legal to use. But they won't be after 30 June 2017, when we have gotten the new coin design.

http://www.riksbank.se/Documents/Bilder/Sedlar_kampanj/2013/sedlaromynt_kampanj_tidplan_high_130613_sve.jpg
You forgot to mention Sierra Leone. Coins minted in 1964 still circulate and could be found in circulation. Indeed, these coins are found very often in circulation.
Regards
Kuna
Check my doubles. ;)
Thanks for the post, I have lived - live in 1, 5, 6 and 15 in your list... actually in Japan I hope I can get any of those 1949 500 Yen coins in my change.

I remember back in panama I was able to get just a few of panamanian coins as there was too much us coins in circulation too.
JustforFun...
Mali switched back to CFA Franc in the 1980's so no Malian Francs to be found in circulation anymore.
Quote: KunaYou forgot to mention Sierra Leone. Coins minted in 1964 still circulate and could be found in circulation. Indeed, these coins are found very often in circulation.
Regards
Kuna
At about 3,500 to the U.S dollar, I doubt that.

Australia still has 5, 10, 20 and 50 cents from 1966+, easy to get as their mintage was large. I have got the pre decimal coins of the same size in change as well. But people think they are not legal tender.
"Such is life" Ned Kelly
Guatemala: coins issued in 1965 are still in circulation. The older ones were made of silver, but they have the same diameters, so maybe it is possible to find them also.
Speak of the devil, I found a 1947 nickel in my change today.  I'm going to enjoy this phenomenon while it lasts!
6) Japan: Yes the "pika-pika" reeded 10 yen coins still circulate, and the old "kyujitai" 5 yen coins are also still in circulation, although I doubt the unholed, US occupation coins are still used today.
Kenny

- Verifying your Asian and British-territorial coins everyday with the best quality photos and the best information.

Check out my Facebook, Kenneth Gucyski.
Yes, very well for you examine.

I can conferme 12 of these countries.
Nothing in Europe !

kind regards
Acid Burn

Visit http://www.grandoblone.it
Quote: KennyG6) Japan: Yes the "pika-pika" reeded 10 yen coins still circulate, and the old "kyujitai" 5 yen coins are also still in circulation, although I doubt the unholed, US occupation coins are still used today.
I hope I can find some of them... so far I just get the normal ones (not reeded) and I havent found any of the commemorative ones.
JustforFun...
When I was young back in the 80's you could find 1948 shillings in the UK, 1948 coinage from Holland, 1949 Bank Deutscher Länder issues in Germany and 1949 Belgian Francs. All gone since Euro and since the UK introduced tiny size 5p & 10p coins.
in USSR you could also find 3 and 5 kopeks from pre-1961 coinage in 1985-1988.
Quote: Enlilninlil
Quote: KunaYou forgot to mention Sierra Leone. Coins minted in 1964 still circulate and could be found in circulation. Indeed, these coins are found very often in circulation.
Regards
Kuna
At about 3,500 to the U.S dollar, I doubt that.
What do you mean?
Check my doubles. ;)
I think it is a lovely collection, Cerulean, Swiss coins really make it to your change daily. Last time I was there I picked up a 1923 10 rappen from a grocer... so the legend goes on!
Kuna, he means that 3500 Leones is currently worth 1 USD. So those 1964 20 cents coins from Sierra Leone are worth 0.0057 cents US or 0.035 lipa :-)

The copper-nickel is worth more.
Quote: jokinenKuna, he means that 3500 Leones is currently worth 1 USD. So those 1964 20 cents coins from Sierra Leone are worth 0.0057 cents US or 0.035 lipa :-)

The copper-nickel is worth more.
Yes, I know but still they are found in circulation very often. But prices are very low there so you can bay more for 3500 Leones in Sierra Leone than for 1 USD in USA.
Regards
Kuna
Check my doubles. ;)
Maybe these coins are still used. With the current situation in that region I will not travel over there to try to prove you wrong :-)

I just find it very hard to believe anyone would still use those 1964 coins. The current coin series goes from 10 to 500 leones, which is 0.0028$ to 0.14$. Of course people are pretty poor over there and make around 1$ a day (where 50$/day is typical for poorer US citizens) so let's assume 50:1 purchasing power, even though basic necessities are often relatively more expensive in poor countries and luxuries are often more expensive because they need to be imported.

With this 50:1 the purchasing power of 0.20 leone would be comparable to 0.0057$. That's less than a penny and from my experience even the poorest US citizens don't bother to bend over to pick these of the streets, except for me but that reason must be apparent for all of you :-)
SInce they changed the size of our currency the earliest you'll find coins in NZ is 2006  :(

Except the $1 and $2 coins which I think go back as far as 1990
You know Cerulean here another way to look at this topic.I think there are more older Canadain coins in circulation here in the US then Canada. I get 1 to 3 pennys a month still.  Mainly 1960 and 1970. And i just got a 1975 5 cent coin from Canada. I sometimes get 1 cent and 5 cents coins from the 1950's.
It is, what it is, or is it.
Quote: bbybugsIt's not easy to find circulated old Canadian coins after RCM's "alloy recovery program"  :(
Canada's Alloy Recovery Program is the numismatic equivalent of dynamiting the historic district.  

At the national level, they are literally gathering up a whole century of Canadian history and burning it in the name of profit.

It should be a crime.  I would be very embarrassed if the USA ever did something like this (except for those Susan B dollars).
Quote: jokinenWhen I was young back in the 80's you could find 1948 shillings in the UK, 1948 coinage from Holland, 1949 Bank Deutscher Länder issues in Germany and 1949 Belgian Francs. All gone since Euro and since the UK introduced tiny size 5p & 10p coins.
What about Ireland?

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 15:39.