300 countries club

514 posts

» Quick access to the last post

Lets see the list of unusual countries.
In black, countries that no one of the "300 countries group" gets :(
Then in decreasing order of difficulty, down to the purple.
Only one member of the "300 countries club" doesn't own these purple countries, so, they are easier to get :)

update Jan. 6th 2016

252 countries in common:

Members:

318 - Al Louarn (Brittany)
311 - Chasinva69 (USA)
391 - Erdvilla (Mexico)
305 -> 328 - eug (USA) :8D
322 -> 326 - Frenchlover (France)
351 - geraltttt82 (Poland)
320 -> 321 - jadejackal (USA)
303 -> 305 - jelle (The Netherlands)
311 - mic-w-nl (The Netherlands)
299 -> 300 - muzz0000 (Southern Hemisphere)
325 -> 326 - Numismaticroy (UK)
332 -> 333 - Yorkie (UK)
Referee of south atlantic islands
good job i hope to get there some day.
It is, what it is, or is it.
Congrats!!
“A man without a hobby is only half alive.”
Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Looks like 299 to me, as I see Hutt River in your list.   0:)

Serious though, congratulations!
Hutt River is also on the map (8
Quote: jadejackalLooks like 299 to me, as I see Hutt River in your list.   0:)
298,  French Antarctic territory also shouldn't count as a country  :°
I notice it only as Token (unfortunately :( )
Unfortunately, but let's not overlook that this is a huge accomplishment.  I even have Seborga and Hutt River in my "countries" list.  It is just friendly teasing on our part.  I've been stuck at 277 for a while now.
Yeah, not taking away from the accomplishment, it's certainly good work to track down coins from that many countries.  I don't think I've even hit 100 countries yet....but then again I probably collect differently from you.
Quote: jadejackalUnfortunately, but let's not overlook that this is a huge accomplishment.  I even have Seborga and Hutt River in my "countries" list.  It is just friendly teasing on our part.  I've been stuck at 277 for a while now.
Fortunately there are some token countries, if not, my Oceanian coin book would be much thinner :D
Quote: neilithicYeah, not taking away from the accomplishment, it's certainly good work to track down coins from that many countries.  I don't think I've even hit 100 countries yet....but then again I probably collect differently from you.
Me neither since I focus on specific areas but... Great accomplishment nevertheless especially with Leichtenstein krone. I have the 1910 version and it's a great little piece
I also concentrate on areas, but also pick up anything else I like along the way, which is why I have a few countries that have lots of coins (UK, Fiji, Canada etc) and then a lot of countries with just a few coins.  I'm concentrating on the UK, USA and Canada this year.
Congratulations Frenchlover! I am at 260, hoping to arrive someday at the "300 club" !
Check my coins for sale:
http://www.ebay.com/usr/lidianb
https://www.facebook.com/lidianbcoins/  
congratulations.

i am in below 90 club  :snif:  :snif:
Main Referee for Hutt-River
Very nice! Congratulations!

What is the next goal?
Quote: Muenzenhamstercongratulations.

i am in below 90 club  :snif:  :snif:
I just checked...me too.  Currently 670 coins from 86 countries.
Still re-cataloging and slimming down, but now at "949 coins: 512 different types from 53 countries".
Just completed "G". I may reach 100 countries by the time I get to the end of the alphabet, hopefully.

Well done on your 300 countries.
http://www.facebook.com/NumismaticsUK
I'm not an expert in any kind of coins, but I reckon I'm good at research and will do my best to help. Feel free to tell me my identifications/valuations/gradings are wrong. It's the only way I'll learn.
Quote: Chasinva69307
It would be interesting to know what countries you got in addition to mine :)
And you've got such an interesting swap list :8D
Congratulations!
I'm not gonna join the club in near future,  but some day...
Fantastic Frenchlover.  I'm aiming for only half of that this year - to get to 150 countries.  
Quote: Frenchlover
It would be interesting to know what countries you got in addition to mine :)
And you've got such an interesting swap list :8D
o.k., i’ll put my list on “view” for awhile.
I'm at 262 now, but doubt I'm ever going to get there as I'm running out of countries that actually have circulation coins.

So no Belarus nor Niue for me.
Affordable French-Feudal coins only for your eyes :D  :

http://www.ebay.fr/sch/Monnaies-/11116/i.html?_from=R40%7CR40&_nkw=Charles+II+De+Gonzague&_sop=15
http://www.ebay.fr/sch/i.html?_odkw=sedan&_sop=15&_from=R40%7CR40%7CR40&_osacat=11116&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xsedan+henri&_nkw=sedan+henri&_sacat=11116
http://www.ebay.fr/sch/i.html?_odkw=sedan+henri&_sop=15&_from=R40%7CR40%7CR40%7CR40&_osacat=11116&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xarches+charleville&_nkw=arches+charleville&_sacat=11116

And ... "Zeeland" Dutch republic is also get-at-able :D

You've got at least 8 countries I don't own only in your swap list :8D
You made this club and you didn't let me know? You are evil!

By the way, for me it is easier posting what I am missing:

Of those, which are/where French? I think I am pretty close on completing that secondary goal of a complete French realm.

Currently I am bidding in two auctions for a German New Guinea and Hunnic Empire coins, so if I get lucky I would remove those two by the end of the week. And then a long pause to save up and then visit the auctions again to try finding more missing ones in a month or two.

P.D. Today I was so close on getting a cheap Cilician Armenia coin, but I fell asleep because I haven't slept well in the last week, and today afternoon I finally was so comfortable in my sofa that only 13 minutes away from the end of the auction I fell asleep and woke up 2 hours later to find out someone outbid me by 50 cents  8.  Whatever, I really needed that rest.
Numista referee for the "Viceroyalty of the New Spain" (most of it).
History through coins.
Eli V
I'm at 261, but hopefully I'll reach 300 in the end of the year. My top goal for the moment is to get at least 1 coin from each modern country.  :D
Coin referee for: AZE, FRO, GRL, US-HI, KOR, KGZ, MLI, MHL, MMR, PRK, UZB, SML, TAT, TWN, TJK
Banknote referee for: AGO, AZE, BLR, ECS, GEO, HTI, KAZ, KGZ, KOR, MNG, MRT, PMR, PRK, ROK, SWE, TJK, TKM, TUR, UZB, WSM, ZWE
Quote: erdvillaYou made this club and you didn't let me know? You are evil!
I suspected you might not prevent you from joining the club :D
Quote: FrenchloverLets see the list of uncommon, but findable, countries.
These following underlined countries are owned only by one "300 countries group" grantee :8D
Non underlined countries are owned by only two members. 8)

Ajman
Anguilla

Tonkin
United Arab Republic
Who owns the Emirates coins? I'll have to save at least a month for the cheapest one for every one of those (at least that is the plan).

I might close a deal today for a Russian Caucasia coin, and those aren't cheap. The coin looks like crap, but it is recognizable, so it is passable for me; specially since those even in  VG are worth between 60 and 160 dollars, so a VG or G+ aren't that bad of a choice when trying to save money  :P

Also, you didn't answered which of my missing countries where/are French.

And I hope the club grows as currently most of the underlined coins are from my collection  :~

Also, you should place the members ids at top of the first post, so that we can know eachother easier by looking at top of the thread.
History through coins.
Eli V
Russian Caucasia; which should actually be renamed as Armavir as it is the only region that made coins for that territory; deal successful!

With this 350 reached!
History through coins.
Eli V
erdvilla: i have no idea how you havemanaged to collect 7 tannu tuvan coins. there is a lot ot 7 coins out now on ebay for "just" $2,500!!!!  B)
Coin referee for: AZE, FRO, GRL, US-HI, KOR, KGZ, MLI, MHL, MMR, PRK, UZB, SML, TAT, TWN, TJK
Banknote referee for: AGO, AZE, BLR, ECS, GEO, HTI, KAZ, KGZ, KOR, MNG, MRT, PMR, PRK, ROK, SWE, TJK, TKM, TUR, UZB, WSM, ZWE
Quote: erdvilla
Of those, which are/where French? I think I am pretty close on completing that secondary goal of a complete French realm.
French langage countries :

Dahomey - Unaffordable

Iles de France et Bonaparte  - When you'll be millionaire   :P

Ivory coast - be careful, there're many coins that are not referenced in Krause  - especialy all coins from http://www.africamint.com/  (8

Niger - Not referenced in the Krause :D

And I think that's all
Quote: ngdawaerdvilla: i have no idea how you havemanaged to collect 7 tannu tuvan coins. there is a lot ot 7 coins out now on ebay for "just" $2,500!!!!  B)
Asked a Russian fella for local sales over there and he linked me with several sales for crappy-looking (not lower than F thou) Tannu Tuva coins in an average of 80$ at local auction sites (average 1/10th of what you would find at international eBay), so after saving for a long time I was finally able to confirm the purchases. International eBay has of course very few of them, most NGC certified which are no less than 800$ each, that is why I asked to someone near to the source. It usually happens that local coins are often cheaper near their origin, while once outside they tend to get the extra punch of "exotic coinage". Now I only need to wait for the snail-speed mail to deliver them, got them sent into 5 separate envelopes to reduce risk.

Similar of what I did with some ex-French coinage, Frenchlover here linked me to some eBay.fr sales of them, and the prices where again usually 1/10th of those in main eBay.com, I simply marked them as Watched and then switched to the normal eBay to conclude the purchase as doing so in French could get me in trouble in mid-translation of shipping or extra charges that I wouldn't understand. Thanks Frenchlover!

A great advantage of trusty Numista members that are willing to help you beyond the normal swaps.

I guess it is very similar to what happens with Mexican Revolutionary coins here.
History through coins.
Eli V
Quote: FrenchloverFrench langage countries :

Dahomey - Unaffordable

Iles de France et Bonaparte  - When you'll be millionaire   :P

Ivory coast - be careful, there're many coins that are not referenced in Krause  - especialy all coins from http://www.africamint.com/  (8

Niger - Not referenced in the Krause :D

And I think that's all
Brittany, Frisia and Windward Islands not French?

Also, Dahomey doesn't seem that unaffordable, just needs a month or two of saving... maybe three depending if I am lucky in the auctions, like this one, only problem with US sellers is shipping, they usually charge almost half the value of the coin in shipping, wish it was an European seller, they would charge 15$ at most for Registered mail:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GANVIE-1971-Dahomey-100-Francs-Silver-PROOF-African-RARE-Coin-mintage-4650-/381152859001?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item58be7b1379

I insist that "Iles de France et Bonaparte" must be grouped with Reunion, just like "Îles de France et Bourbon" and "Île Bourbon" where. It would save me a lot of effort, as I am sure it would be nearly impossible to even see that coin for sale at eBay, and if someday I see it it will surely be over $1,000. In that case I'll just print the coin images and paste them over a plastic chip  (8
History through coins.
Eli V
I can help you with Dutch Republic.
Pleae check my own coin shop:

https://www.lastdodo.nl/nl/shops/Jelle097

World wide shipping for the real shipping price!
Quote: jelleI can help you with Dutch Republic.
Have it for swap, or can buy/link a sale for me?

If you buy it for me I can repay you in swap coin whose value covers up your expenses.
History through coins.
Eli V

If you buy it for me I can repay you in swap coin whose value covers up your expenses.
5 to 10 euro's.

I can sent you pictures
Pleae check my own coin shop:

https://www.lastdodo.nl/nl/shops/Jelle097

World wide shipping for the real shipping price!
Quote: jelle

5 to 10 euro's.

I can sent you pictures
Sure, PM, or open a swap with any coin and we can discuss it there.
History through coins.
Eli V
Another good soul helping to fill my coin World.

Dutch Republic gotten (still need to ship and receive it) Thanks to jelle for the help!
History through coins.
Eli V
I hadn't noticed that I got a "free country". Numista admins finally decided to move the Egyptian "lone wolf" UAR coins to the UAR section; previously only the Egypt + Syria coins where there, and those cost no less than $250. But now they finally decided to move all the UAR Eagle coins there, which suddenly gave me 5 UAR coins, yay!

This made up for the French Antarctic Territories since those where finally moved to the Tokens. Lost one and gained one; Karma I guess.

Now move "Illes de France et Bonaparte" to Reunion and the World will be a better place.
History through coins.
Eli V
I only have 151 countries so far, but goal is to get all countries starting at 1900. Not sure how many countries that is and if 300 is possible that way. I really enjoy this website, have added lots of countries with swaps. So far everyone has been great with swaps.
Quote: EerovisserI only have 151 countries so far, but goal is to get all countries starting at 1900. Not sure how many countries that is and if 300 is possible that way. I really enjoy this website, have added lots of countries with swaps. So far everyone has been great with swaps.
I think it is possible to reach 300 with your current post-1900 focus. Africa is a good source for name changing countries during the 1900s.
History through coins.
Eli V
Africa is the continent I have the least countries, really have to work on that. If there is anyone in US with lots of African coins to swap check out my swap list and see if we can make a trade.
God dammit! Didn't got the German New Guinea coin, I was willing to bid a good sum of money for it, as those in direct sales are really expensive, but by the time I submitted my bid the auction closed, damn clock hasn't been working as it used to do before, don't know if it is an eBay bug, or if they decided to punish me for bidding in the last seconds and the clock now doesn't count as before.

Well, no point in crying now. I saved my money, so I might look for something else, or simply save it up for the Emirates endeavor.
History through coins.
Eli V
Quote: erdvilla... I saved my money ... for the Emirates endeavor.
I don't understand what's your problem with emirates coins, there's no problem to get'em in Europe and I've got some in my swap list :°
Quote: erdvilla... I saved my money ... for the Emirates endeavor.
I don't understand what's your problem with emirates coins, there's no problem to get'em in Europe and I've got some in my swap list :°
:~  Ajman, Fujairah, Ras Al Khaimah, Sharjah, and Umm Al Qaiwain?
History through coins.
Eli V
Does someone has an idea where I can get a not so expensive Danish India coin (a.k.a. India Danish Tranquebar coins)?

It is the only India sub-division I am left to get, but so far the few I've seen at eBay are no lower than $80 for G grades, there are two for $17 with shipping (US Sellers have the highest shipping costs) but those are in I think P01 grades, I mean they seem like rusted bits of metal with some faint lines which might just as well be natural marks in the metal.

So I want to know if any of you guys can find some decent prices Gs or higher, or is it that all these are very pricy?
History through coins.
Eli V
By the way, Araucania & Patagonia has being finally tossed to the Tokens section, it was weird as all but two coins where already there, so the last two have been finally dropped to the Tokens category.

I think this it how it goes:

KM#123 = Official coin (With any capital letter after the # allowed for several uses, except X)
KM#Tn123 = It IS a token, but one that had monetary usage (usually made as a proxy for the official coins), hence it deserves the Official coin as well.

KM#X123 = This one falls in the middle; several experts consider it an official coin, while many others consider it a Medal or Token, so for collector's sake that already paid a lot for NGC, PCGS certifications and who told them they where coins, they are left in the middle for anyone to choose.

X#123 = Nothing can't be clearer than saying that anything with this means eXonumia; tokens or medals. This is the category used for tokens, fantasy coinage, medals, and such. So I think eventually all these will (or at least should) be moved to the Tokens sections (even when this means I'll loose some in my countries total).
History through coins.
Eli V
only  (8 217 here- but only been collecting seriously for just over 1 year,watch out i am on my way 8)
Frenchlover, I insist you should update the top post with the names of the members, and maybe as well with the names of those users with 199 or less, 200-249, 250-274 and 275-299, to see their evolution.

P.D. Hutt River has been indeed kicked to the tokens section, but for some reason unlike Araucania & Patagonia, the name didn't disappeared from the Dashboard, just like Micronesia.
History through coins.
Eli V
Anyone has increased their number lately?

Or reduced them, as tokens are being finally moved to that section? Easy way to find that out, look at your collection list, tokens appear at top, if you see one there that previously was in your in your coin section under a country then you have been officially "tok'ned"
History through coins.
Eli V
I am up one at 275 now.  Which is odd because I lost a few to things being moved to tokens and I don't remember specifically adding a new country.   :~

Must be getting forgetful in my middle age.   :°
Quote: jadejackalI am up one at 275 now.  Which is odd because I lost a few to things being moved to tokens and I don't remember specifically adding a new country.   :~

Must be getting forgetful in my middle age.   :°
I think some coins that where in the tokens section had been vindicated and now that they have a proper KM# they have finally been put under countries. I know this first hand because 4 coins I added to Mexico more than 6 months ago where suddenly dropped to the tokens section, but I recently got the new coin catalogs and they now have a KM# so I asked and they where moved back to the coin section.

Also, there is the United Arab Republic, before only the coins that where minted when Egypt an Syria where together where the only ones there, and now all the Egyptian ones with the UAR Eagle where moved over there, so most users got a free country there, as they are proper UAR coins, but many people only considers the Egypt + Syria coins as the real UAR ones, but officially Egypt was the UAR for longer, so they do count. Not to mention you can get Egypt UAR coins for cents, while Egypt + Syria UAR ones cost over $100 the cheapest.

While several X# have been sent to the tokens section. So if you are planning on adding new countries be sure they have a proper KM# as those from countries that share currency in Africa that are made under the countries themselves are often made by people wanting to make a huge profit out of un-authorized usage of their National seal. And they can freely make huge profit during 2-5 years until they are finally deemed X# (eXonumia).

I am planning on adding Ivory Coast next, and I did my job and looked at the books and asked for addition of the KM# to all coins with them, as well as the addition of any missing coin to the country present in the catalogs, and now Ivory Coast is up to date with he catalogs and I can safely search for one of those proper coins.
History through coins.
Eli V
Update after assaulting a museum:

On the cancelled countries:
-Hutt River and South Sudan: Everything has been officially moved to the tokens as all are X# Exonumia, but the names for some reason remained at the Dashboard, so they need a manual override.
-Micronesia: Maybe is the same as the previous two, as everything has been in the tokens section for over a year but the name remained.
-NMI: This one is special, because most of the coins on it are tokens, but others haven't been defined as either, so it is in doubt, but actually no official coin has been recognized, so temporally I consider it to be out of my sight as I don't plan on falling for a fantasy coin which will eventually be deemed a token.

The remaining 27, lets just say 1 per month (or every 2 months) would be impressive, so lets just leave it at 1 per 4 months  :P  And a handful of them should be left out completely, I prefer to buy a car.

Update: Seborga has only tokens, so that ones is kicked out as well.
History through coins.
Eli V
360 countries? That is crazy.

Seborga should probably be moved to tokens.  Not really a country but some sort of principality.  If you want to look at it.  Maybe it should stay, maybe not.

I guess the next thing to think about is that there are probably ancient and medieval countries to be added.
The flag for South Sudan looks like the Azores flag  :P  
Quote: jadejackal360 countries? That is crazy.

Seborga should probably be moved to tokens.  Not really a country but some sort of principality.  If you want to look at it.  Maybe it should stay, maybe not.

I guess the next thing to think about is that there are probably ancient and medieval countries to be added.
Oh, true, all are X#, so they are exonumia, yay! one less. But being fair I think I have one or two in my collection that are completely X#s (Lundy and Sealand) so to be fair I am at 358 if those are moved to Tokens  :P
History through coins.
Eli V
To be fair Lundy (the original ones) and Seborga tokens (to some extant) actually circulated so I do feel those are on a different level than Sealand or Hutt River.
Quote: jadejackalTo be fair Lundy (the original ones) and Seborga tokens (to some extant) actually circulated so I do feel those are on a different level than Sealand or Hutt River.
Maybe, but the are categorized as Exonumia, but unless someone decides to move them they will still count in my total  :P  But I won't actively search for a Seborga one.
History through coins.
Eli V
Quote: jadejackalTo be fair Lundy (the original ones) and Seborga tokens (to some extant) actually circulated so I do feel those are on a different level than Sealand or Hutt River.
1) It's deemed necessary to precise "the original ones" for Lundy coins  :D

2) Coins and note are circulating in Hutt River, there are a bunch of news paper articles about it :8D
http://www.reocities.com/CapitolHill/5829/NCh02.html

Do U know how much permanent inhabitant in Hutt River ?
Amazing in comparison with theamount of tourists :8D
My original Lundy coins I mean the 1/2 and 1 Puffin that have the year of 1929.  Those were the ones that got Martin Harman in trouble, as the tokens were circulating in the local tavern (and mentioned in the court trial).

I guess that Hutt River does have circulating coinage, but it seems more gimmicky to me.  I've been a strong proponent of removing Hutt River from the country list.  I suppose we should do the same for Lundy and Seborga.
Quote: jadejackalMy original Lundy coins I mean the 1/2 and 1 Puffin that have the year of 1929.  Those were the ones that got Martin Harman in trouble, as the tokens were circulating in the local tavern (and mentioned in the court trial).

I guess that Hutt River does have circulating coinage, but it seems more gimmicky to me.  I've been a strong proponent of removing Hutt River from the country list.  I suppose we should do the same for Lundy and Seborga.
Just like Disneyland or other attraction parks with their internal coins, poor Homer SImpson.
History through coins.
Eli V
Quote: ngdawaThe flag for South Sudan looks like the Azores flag  :P  
Hutt River and Micronesia too. They have the same color pattern.
History through coins.
Eli V
Quote: Frenchlover2) Coins and note are circulating in Hutt River, there are a bunch of news paper articles about it :8D
http://www.reocities.com/CapitolHill/5829/NCh02.html
Do they have any OFFICIAL exchange value (other than souvenir and collectible) outside of Hutt River? I think that is what differentiates X# from KM#Tn; that they eventually where recognized by at least one other country to be used at least in the regions surrounding the origin with a specific exchange rate.

Lundy old and new are special cases, as you can see they are X#Tn, so even when they where meant to be souvenirs they eventually did had a defined exchange rate with the UK, indirectly, because of the Post Stamps from Lundy.

I also noticed HR where returned to the coins section, seems some users are reluctant to accept they are exonumia. But it is fine, because until the Tokens section isn't improved to be a mirror of the Country section it is quite annoying to handle a collection over there with all the countries in a single menu. It would be a great improvement for Numista to add a link on the left menu to Exonumia right under the Country list one, that would take you to a similar Country list but entirely made of tokens and such, and then each country could handle their exonumia by dividing them just like currency is under each country.

I personally will stay away from entirely X# pseudo-countries, as you can't deny it is exonumia (over priced exonumia that is). In Mexico's list we have been pretty strict, moving everything starting with X# to the tokens section, so I don't see why a country which is entirely X# shouldn't, not that I would actively try to get them moved, but categories exist.

I would get one if I ever find it very very cheap, so that it is worth the money as a souvenir, as that is why I would like t have one, as a simple souvenir.
History through coins.
Eli V
I wonder if the "Grand Duchy of Avram" and their $2,000+ fantasy coinage would ever have the same discussion as with Hutt River.

P.D. Got a Hutt River "coin". If someone wants to get a cheap one just in case, there are some new published sales for 5€ at eBay, if you want to get one for the souvenir. As most coins are usually 10€+
History through coins.
Eli V
I might get a "lovely" coin from ZEGG :D
I have Biafra  :O

But I am only at 262 countries. Could get another 15-20 but after that it will get mighty expensive. Some easier ones I am still looking for:

China Empire
China Japanese puppet states
Austrian Netherlands
Austrian states
Swiss Cantons
German New Guinea (pretty expensive but not impossible. What would a VF pfennig cost?)
Hawaii (very expensive)
Biafra is usually more expensive than GNG or Hawaii (Dimes are the easier to get IMO). I was interested in a Biafra coin at eBay, but the only seller under 80$ is from the US; and he doesn't offer First Class Mail (max 6$), he only offers Priority (no les than 15$), and that always bugs me.
Most Europe sellers only charge 2$ for shipping; 5$ with registry.
FCMail is quite safe as it is tracked just like Registered mail here in Mexico, but many US sellers refuse to provide it. So I'll keep looking for a Biafra coin... and a GNG one.
History through coins.
Eli V
WTF!? Now Yemen is back on my missing countries. Did someone moved the coins to other sub-divisions?
History through coins.
Eli V
Quote: erdvillaWTF!? Now Yemen is back on my missing countries. Did someone moved the coins to other sub-divisions?
Looks like Yemen has been split up in Yemen and Yemen Arab Republic
Quote: Eerovisser
Quote: erdvillaWTF!? Now Yemen is back on my missing countries. Did someone moved the coins to other sub-divisions?
Looks like Yemen has been split up in Yemen and Yemen Arab Republic
So, some coins that previously where in Yemen, where moved to YAR, right?

I was arranging a swap and was about to close the deal, but saw the user had almost all the coins that where left in Yemen, so I asked to hold it a couple of minutes and picked those, they are quite cheap, so he gave them away for free in the swap  :P  That was a problem that got solver quite fast.

I don't mind Admins correcting the Arab countries coinage, specially since that gave almost all users an instant United Arab Republic coin, when before it was quite hard to get one, as initially only the Egypt + Syria coins where considered UAR coinage, but since Egypt retained the UAR name for longer, their coins are way easier to get, and this made the UAR turn from a class-4 country (highly expensive but not impossible for an amateur) to a class-1 (anyone who can pay mail can get at least one coins from there).
History through coins.
Eli V
I am trying to get to 300 countries, but I only do 1900-date. I am far away right now at 152 countries would you be able to help me out at all with a swap ?
Quote: EerovisserI am trying to get to 300 countries, but I only do 1900-date. I am far away right now at 152 countries would you be able to help me out at all with a swap ?
Sure, thou I mostly have Mexican coins for swap, but if you want take a look at my list you can open the swap. I collect US coins by date, so if there isn't too much on your list that could interest me you can always pick a bunch of cents, nickels, dimes, up to Sacagawea dollar (the one with the eagle, as the thematic ones I only collect D and P but not Position A and B ) and add the dates and mints and there will surely be a bunch that I don't have.
History through coins.
Eli V
That damn annoying Hutt River is back in my country list.  Just when I think things are moving in a positive direction...

Latest countries are Sharjah (just recently purchased), Byzantine Empire (coins I have had for a while but were not in the catalog), Tibet (don't know why I didn't have one before) and a coin from the Srivijaya Kingdom.  I need to add the Srivijaya Kingdom to the catalog, but don't exactly have all the information so hopefully someone else can fill in.
Quote: jadejackalThat damn annoying Hutt River is back in my country list.  Just when I think things are moving in a positive direction...

Latest countries are Sharjah (just recently purchased), Byzantine Empire (coins I have had for a while but were not in the catalog), Tibet (don't know why I didn't have one before) and a coin from the Srivijaya Kingdom.  I need to add the Srivijaya Kingdom to the catalog, but don't exactly have all the information so hopefully someone else can fill in.
There are many users who raised their voices to have it back. Consensus hasn't been reached, so as for now, just go with the flow. Just know that coins with X# are exonumia, it depends on you if you want to stay away from them or not. I was reluctant to get a Hutt River token, but yesterday saw some for 5 Euro + shipping from Spain (2-3 Euro), so I got one as a souvenir. Before yesterday they usually where 10 Euro + shipping (from Australia, so like 20 Euro).
History through coins.
Eli V
I hope we can reach some sort of consensus.  An ideal solution would to be some sort of per user configuration where you could check "Yes, please include crappy countries in the list" so the rest of us don't have to see them.  Don't get me wrong, I have a bunch of tokens.  Hard times tokens, notgeld, Canadian Municipal Tokens, but I feel they are different because they circulated and had some use.  Micro-nations are not my thing.

Anyway, I am not at 281 counties.  Only 19 more to go to catch up with you Frenchlover, and a heck of a lot to go to catch you erdvilla.  I have Libya and Azerbaijan coins coming in the mail so hopefully today I'll get to knock two more off the list.  I also have a Carthage coin but need to figure out how to add it to the catalog in a meaningful way.  I feel like I am actually getting close to the 300 countries club.
Quote: jadejackalI hope we can reach some sort of consensus.  An ideal solution would to be some sort of per user configuration where you could check "Yes, please include crappy countries in the list" so the rest of us don't have to see them.  Don't get me wrong, I have a bunch of tokens.  Hard times tokens, notgeld, Canadian Municipal Tokens, but I feel they are different because they circulated and had some use.  Micro-nations are not my thing.

Anyway, I am not at 281 counties.  Only 19 more to go to catch up with you Frenchlover, and a heck of a lot to go to catch you erdvilla.  I have Libya and Azerbaijan coins coming in the mail so hopefully today I'll get to knock two more off the list.  I also have a Carthage coin but need to figure out how to add it to the catalog in a meaningful way.  I feel like I am actually getting close to the 300 countries club.
I reached 300 with 95% swaps only, except for my initial 11 countries (or where they 7? I don't remember). Then from there it has been a 35% swaps - 65% eBay and other local auction sites (local for the coins I look for) as those sites have better prices as the coins aren't considered that rare; hence my Tannu Tuva and Russian Caucasia (a.k.a. Armavir). And some French ex-territories thanks to frenchlover.

The ratio has fallen so much because for the post-300 countries most users who have them for swap are searching for pretty specific coins, want TOO much for them (I consider too much if it goes over a direct sale with shipping on eBay, in which case the decision is obvious), or are dead, 6+ months from their previous swap, ghost, mute, swindler-users, or don't answer the swap proposition for over 2 weeks.
History through coins.
Eli V
Quote: jadejackalAnyway, I am not at 281 counties ...  I feel like I am actually getting close to the 300 countries club.
Welcome soon on board :8D

Quote: jadejackalAnyway, I am not at 281 counties ...  I feel like I am actually getting close to the 300 countries club.
Welcome soon on board :8D

300 Club is now a country too?

:°
History through coins.
Eli V
La la la la la, I can't hear you.

;(

:~
Quote: FrenchloverWelcome soon on board :8D
By the way Frenchlover, was my idea a bad one?

Of adding the member names up on your first Post, by editing it every now and then.

With users in the thread with 300+, 275-299, and 200-274 (and why not 199- as well, no one knows when a 199- will suddenly starts madly growing). To see their progress, and countries no one in the thread has, instead of those only a few have. It would be cooler to see those countries disappearing over the time when a user finally gets a coin from there, or maybe... maybe, an empty list if we combined our collections and we where able to complete the World!

If users take the time to post in the thread it would be nice to recognize them, and promote their growth.
History through coins.
Eli V
I'll see what I can do
New country added to the Dashboard: Srivijaya Kingdom

But no coins at the country list yet, so must be a New Coin request, lets see if it gets processed.
History through coins.
Eli V
I added the Srivijaya Kingdom (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Srivijaya).  But it was removed and the coin was moved to the Malay peninsula, which does make a lot of sense to me but what ever.  I do find it annoying that legitimate countries who were sovereign for over four centuries are shuttled into strange categories while a wheat tax dodge in Australia can make a real country.  :(
Check the Germany Vs India issue.

India is divided into:
Princely
Kingdoms
Mughal
Potuguese
Danish
Dutch
French
British
Republic
Ancient

Some of them with >10 coins.

Germany is divided into:
States
Imperial, Weimar, and Reich
DR
FR

And the States mixes independent entities that could be countries on their own with hundreds of coins each. The mixing of the German States is on the same level of nonsense as trying to mix all Colonial India into that; India - Colonial. And that causes unrest for many other Insert country - States mixes. So, your reauest being batched onto Malay shouldn't raise any brow.
History through coins.
Eli V
South Sudan is out of the Dashboard  :wiz:

It does have coins; they where authorized in 2011, but then factions starter fighting over power and the economy was stalled and the coins didn't got released. Everything other than 1, 5, 10, 25 and 50 piasters coins are fantasy coinage, so you should stay away from them as private mints will try to profit on the country's current state and try to pass fantasy coinage for the real deal.

Also, since Xavier is back and active it seems he is doing an update to the map, as it won't load in the mini version, only in the Maximize link. Let us hope this will mean all countries / territories / kingdoms without land up until now are finally linked to their proper historical limits.

And Lundy was split into Tokens and Lundy country, when all are tokens to be fair, but well, the older ones where pegged to the Lundy Post stamps that where on their own pegged to the UK Pound, and hence the Lundy older tokens (which should only be the 1929 ones) being considered coins loophole was born.
History through coins.
Eli V
"Medal" country!?

Are the tokens being linked to that one as the site is updated?
History through coins.
Eli V
Are the BES Islands legitimate coins, tokens or something else?  They don't have KM numbers and they don't have X# numbers....
Quote: jadejackalAre the BES Islands legitimate coins, tokens or something else?  They don't have KM numbers and they don't have X# numbers....
They are official coins. Those Islands recently left the Netherlands domain and switched to the Dollar, and those are their first official coins, but even when they left the NL they still portrait the ruler in them, but so far only when something important happens, not like the Commonwealth nations portrait the Queen (I hate their lack of originality). But yes, the 3 BES coins are legit.

The lack of catalog numbers is because small countries take longer for Krause to validate their coins, and this is used by private mints to use their arms and names to profit with tokens, but be safe that those 3 from BES aren't that case.
History through coins.
Eli V
I am at 290 with recent purchases that I am waiting on.  They didn't come today so hopefully they will show up early next week.   (;0

Of other annoyances is how arbitrary some of the country listings are (again with the rant, I know).   0:)  Today I found a 1 Prutah from the first Jewish Revolt.  Now granted I did not check the catalog before I bought it, but I knew that I needed a Judea coin and the price was cheap and there were nice partial legends I could make out.  Imagine my surprise when I found the coin in the catalog, not under Judea where a thinking man would expect it, but under Ancient Rome.  Now I know Judea was under Roman control, but that is the whole point of a revolt, they were trying to regain their independence.  By what stretch of the imagination is a coin minted by a revolting government a Roman coin.   ;(

Anyway, 290 means ten more to go.  I am so close....
Quote: jadejackalI am at 290 with recent purchases that I am waiting on.  They didn't come today so hopefully they will show up early next week.   (;0

Of other annoyances is how arbitrary some of the country listings are (again with the rant, I know).   0:)  Today I found a 1 Prutah from the first Jewish Revolt.  Now granted I did not check the catalog before I bought it, but I knew that I needed a Judea coin and the price was cheap and there were nice partial legends I could make out.  Imagine my surprise when I found the coin in the catalog, not under Judea where a thinking man would expect it, but under Ancient Rome.  Now I know Judea was under Roman control, but that is the whole point of a revolt, they were trying to regain their independence.  By what stretch of the imagination is a coin minted by a revolting government a Roman coin.   ;(

Anyway, 290 means ten more to go.  I am so close....
I understand the point. But in those cases you must stick to the catalog; as the revolt was under the Roman Empire. And it would be harder to determine if an independent government ever formed or if it was only a revolt.

Example of revolt with independent goverment could be Biafra. It is easier to determine this one as independent briefly due to the modern times occurrence.

Example of revolt with independent government but that remained under the same nation; most of America. This is why you don't see separation between
Mexico
Independence
1st Empire
1st Republic
2nd Empire
2nd Republic

And a Revolt with independent government and separation in Mexico - Revolutionary. But this is a Numista separation, as Krause doesn't separate it from main Mexico but does add Revolutionary to all; so for organizing it is best to split them.

So unless that revolt managed to take control of the region with a stablished government; then it is simply a Revolt inside the empire.
History through coins.
Eli V
erdvilla,
But the first revolt is pretty well documented.  One of the most documented events in ancient history and on of the sure events we drape other events around.  Jerusalem destroyed, the Second Temple gone, Masada, the capture of Josephus, the year of the four emperors.

Plus on wildwinds: http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/greece/judaea/t.html

Oh well, I'm over it now.  The coin was an important piece of history that has been on my to get list for a while now.  Regardless of any perceived insufficiency of the catalog on my part.  0:)
With secession from the empire and independent government creation? Or where they suppressed too fast for that to occur?
History through coins.
Eli V
167 countries so far.

Only 35 more left till complete world map coverage - but only 7 of them are more than a speck on the map; most are tiny island nations and principalities.
HoH
"Dot nations" have their charm. Specially islands. But as Numista map includes Micronesia and Easter Island then you won't fill it as those don't have coins, only fantasy coinage that doesn't fill them. On the other hand, there is a bunch of extinct nations that aren't included in the current map. Maybe now that Xavier is making improvements he would includs those with their geographical and historical boundaries. I would like to finally see Hawaii in the Pacific and not as a sub-category inside ths continental USA. And there is a bunch of islands with coins that don't have their dots in the current map.
History through coins.
Eli V
I have 314 countries at the moment but can't seen to get any higher!

Quote: numismaticroyI have 314 countries at the moment but can't seen to get any higher!

Still you have an impressive amount of different types, and even then your map has some nice coloring. I have more countries but just a bit more than 1/3rd of types. As I've been focusing on wider territorial coverage, and this has left me with thinner populations. I hope that in the following years I can engross the type amounts as there are just a few countries left to get.

History through coins.
Eli V
After "Caucasian Khanates" was obliterated I remain at the same as those where moved to the newly created "Persianate states". Seems the French side of the site is really messing up catalog sub-divisions.
History through coins.
Eli V
Quote: numismaticroyI have 314 countries at the moment but can't seen to get any higher!

Yeap :8D
Anew member, I'll update files, and ... you'll find one or two bargain countries still available ;)

20,000+ coin!??!?! That's....a lot  :P

I'm currently at 263  :)
There are at least these following countries affordable :
- France Feudal
- Lorraine
- Madeira Islands
- Saint Pierre et Miquelon
- Spanish states
- Tokelau

... and Hutt River :D
There are at least these following countries affordable :
- France Feudal
- Lorraine
- Madeira Islands
- Saint Pierre et Miquelon
- Spanish states
- Tokelau

... and Hutt River :D
I think Belarus is quite easy as well. Dunno why just few 300s have it.

Again, this guy has some easy access ones:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Coins-World-/256/m.html?_ssn=stampsosaurus&_armrs=1&_from=R40&ghostText=&_nkw=belarus&_sop=15

Starting from 10 dollars with Registered mail shipping included, so anyone with 10 dollars available can add Belarus to their collection. I got mine from swaps several months ago, but if I hadn't, then this would had been quite the nice alternative.
History through coins.
Eli V

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 09:52.