World coins chat: Honduras

9 posts
Honduran numismatic history is similar to Guatemala's. Honduras issued some Real provisional coinage between the CAR breakup and introduction of the Honduran Peso in 1862. By 1880 it as decimalized in 100 centavos, phasing out the Real coins.

In 1931, similar to Guatemala with Quetzal, Honduras renamed the Peso to Lempira to make it really 'Honduran'. Lempira was a Lenca (native American) who revolted against the Spanish conquistadores in the 1500's and is a national hero in Honduras. Lempira is depicted on the current 20 and 50 centavos coins.

At introduction, a Lempira was worth half a US dollar and this lasted until the 1980's. Now there are around 20 Lempiras in a buck. The 20 centavos coin is nicknamed "daime" because it was exactly worth a dime for a long time.

I own only a modern set of Honduran coins. That said, the designs hardly changed since 1931, mostly the metal compositions did. I have never seen any Honduran Peso or Real coins before. I think they are pretty rare.
One more country to search
Administrateur du catalogue, référent de nombreuses nations antiques et de la Lorraine.
Catalogue administrator, numerous Antique nations and Lorraine referee.
I had some friends going to Honduras regularly, and I kept asking for them to bring me some coins back, finally they told me that they never see coins there, they don't use coins anymore.  bummer  :(
Taking a break from swapping for a while, but still interested in pre 1799 Spanish coins, I will make time for that!

Looking for pre 1783 coins
I have a very interesting and rare coin from Honduras, I truly got it by luck, as it was in a bulk lot I bought from a local collector. I think he over looked it as junk, its in poor shape but it is Awesome to me, and searching to find more about it is when I discovered the history of the Central American Republic.  

I made this coin page with my coin, so as you can see the coin is in poor shape and the date is not readable, however with help from Numista members we deduced the date from other factors about the coin!
check it out https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces19958.html
Taking a break from swapping for a while, but still interested in pre 1799 Spanish coins, I will make time for that!

Looking for pre 1783 coins
Quote: "redsmithstudios"​I have a very interesting and rare coin from Honduras, I truly got it by luck, as it was in a bulk lot I bought from a local collector. I think he over looked it as junk, its in poor shape but it is Awesome to me, and searching to find more about it is when I discovered the history of the Central American Republic.

​ I made this coin page with my coin, so as you can see the coin is in poor shape and the date is not readable, however with help from Numista members we deduced the date from other factors about the coin!
​check it out https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces19958.html
​this is a Guatemalan coin, probably from the Central American Republic era. The obverse reads " libre crezca fecundo " (may it grow free and fertile), referring to the Ceiba tree, which is Guatemala's National tree. On the reverse it shows five volcanoes that symbolize the five Central American countries, and the fact that we have a lot of volcanoes in Central America.
Trade only within the US.
On a second look, I can't tell if it is Honduran, Costa Rican or Guatemalan. The mint mark is not clear at all. I still think it is from the Central American Republic though.
Keeping with the theme, I just picked up this little 1951 VF fella from a Numista Swap....

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces3013.html

I was very happy to get :) on my quest to 300.
It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble.  It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so.  Mark Twain
Quote: "Peter M. Graham"​Keeping with the theme, I just picked up this little 1951 VF fella from a Numista Swap....

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces3013.html

​I was very happy to get :) on my quest to 300.
​oh yeah, i have one of those. That's a nice coin.
The "problem" with Honduras is that their highest denominator coin is half a Lempira. With has a worth of $0,02 and therefor hardly used. Only so-called Pulperias have them because you could buy 1 sigaret for the so called toston coin.

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 10:22.