Removing yellow tape residue from coins

4 posts
I know this has probably been asked a million times, and I should have learned how to deal with this a long time ago, but it's just never come up for me before. I found a pair of 1976 Bicentennial Ike Dollars (https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces3366.html) with horrid yellow tape residue on one side of each. It's not like they're worth much more than face value, so I'm not too concerned about damaging them, but I'd like to know how to remove the residue without "cleaning" the coins (for future reference). I've heard suggestions to soak them in isopropyl alcohol or in coca-cola, any other advice?
Tax Tokens: the greatest worthless collectible.
Rubbing alcohol should do the trick. Soak it a bit and then take a cotton swab or similar and gently take the glue away, rolling will reduce the chance of scratching the coin surface ... but you weren't concerned with inducing damage so you can use more force if necessary.
Another way to remove glue residue is by using oil (for kitchen use) and a paper tissue.

Dip the tip of the paper tissue in oil and keep on gently rubbing the dirty spot. It may take up 5-10 minutes of rubbing to see the result, but gradually, you will see the glue go off. When necessary add a dip of oil. Afterwards clean with water and soap to remove the oil.

This trick can also be applied to glue remains of price tags on other products.
Rubbing Alcohol or pure acetone will remove it no problem but the coin will have a stripe where the residue was as this part of the coin will not have toned the same as the rest of the coin.

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 16:03.