Additions to your collection - June 2015

56 posts

» Quick access to the last post

Pinch and a punch for the first of the month, time to show your June purchases/swaps/presents/finds
I was finally able to get a 5 mark lodz ghetto 1943 for a decent price: 45 dollars including shipping from poland.
 Recent purchases, yet to arrive, so pictures from sellers ...

UK 50 Pence Olympics - Shooting. A nice rotation error which maybe the seller did not notice.

'Portugal $1 Escudo 1927 1928 1929 1930 1945 1951 1957 1959 1961 1962 1965 1966'

'GREAT BRITAIN 2002 PROOF PATTERN SPECIMEN TRIAL 10 CENTS ESSAI'

'A collection of Botswana coins'

'7 x assorted pre-decimal JERSEY coins (1931 - 1964)'

'10 world coins 1855 - 2000 (2 silver)'

'ISLE OF MAN - 1972 WEDDING COMMEMORATIVE CROWN - PROOF-LIKE UNC'

'Art Nouveau silver jetton by Devambez, ca. 1880: the Angels'

Seven various 2 Zlote UNC Polish coins, most of which I already have, but wanted more.

EDIT: Now the next day and I won two more items ...

'Gibraltar 2007 2 Pence (The Queen 60 years of marriage)'
The rare double-portrait coin; I wanted it since 2011 when james wolfe showed one he had.

'Bronze "National Medal for Success in Art" 1885, Victoria'
Very beautiful portrait (by W Wyon, who also designed coins), and Roman numerals date is 1856 MDCCCLVI and the 1885 as listed by the seller is on the edge, with the winner's name.
The superb 'diademed' bust of Queen Victoria was the work of William Wyon and was adopted for the Penny Black postage stamp issued in 1840.
Struck in bronze, 55mm in dia. and weighing 80gms.
Same here, purchases made yesterday and today, pics from sellers also.

1797 cartwheel penny, extremely fine condition, still has some lustre, never seen one in this condition before, doesn't look like it saw much life in circulation.

2 Francs, 50 mils, 5 lira and 1897 half crown.

2 Morgan dollars, got them cheap because the seller misspelt the listing. "morgen doler" and it was in the "world coins" category. When I use eBay I do not put in any words to search for, I select coin category and then view all of the coins on eBay, granted there are over 36.000 results but you don't miss any like the spelling errors.

1904 Half Crown, Now to get the 1903 and 1905, not sure I want to get them off eBay but there are no coin dealers near me to visit to get a coin of that calibre. If I am spending over a grand then I want to make sure 100% that it is authentic. once I get them, I will have completed a full run from 1887 -1967, then I will keep working my way back. This was the very first goal I set myself when I started collecting in march this year.

and this 9KG British job lot to keep me busy for an hour or two.

Restoration addict : Verdigris Removal : Zinc White spot removal : Iron Rust Removal : Silver brooch/necklace mount Removal
Quote: ZacUKRecent purchases, yet to arrive, so pictures from sellers ...

I really like the little English islands like Jersey, Guernsey, Isle of Man, Lundy, etc.  It's one area I'm thinking of getting into later, but I still have plenty more things to concentrate on, so it won't be for a while
Quote: neilithic

I really like the little English islands like Jersey, Guernsey, Isle of Man, Lundy, etc.  It's one area I'm thinking of getting into later, but I still have plenty more things to concentrate on, so it won't be for a while
I don't consider Lundy as an emitting nation, unlike Crown Dependencies or Overseas Territories. For me it's a stupid micronation like other fantasy coinages. But these dependencies or territories are much interesting, mainly as common  due to shared characteristics with the sterling pound.
Administrateur du catalogue, référent de nombreuses nations antiques et de la Lorraine.
Catalogue administrator, numerous Antique nations and Lorraine referee.
Well, I purchased a 1909-VDB Lincoln cent and a 2009 D U.S. mint set. I also picked a couple of uncirculated coins from Rhodesia Nyasaland, a 1957 1/2 penny and a 1961 penny-KM numbers 1 and 2.   
A come on, the Lundy coins are even more interesting than the other islands due to their checkered history, plus with only 4 coins to collect it makes it a nice small (but pricey) set to pick up.
The Lundy coins, I think are only worth getting the '29 version.
Yeah the 1929 are the "real" coins that actually circulated before the owner of the island was arrested for illegally minting coinage.  I've seen them for sale for NZ$50. But it would be nice to get the re-issue to complete the set....or is that my OCD talking?
Quote: neilithicYeah the 1929 are the "real" coins that actually circulated before the owner of the island was arrested for illegally minting coinage.  I've seen them for sale for NZ$50. But it would be nice to get the re-issue to complete the set....or is that my OCD talking?
Hard to say...I see what you mean but I think the 1929, hold the real value.
Not bought much in June so far.  Got these Georgia coins coming in the next day or so:

and kids getting me this coin as part of my fathers day present, which should arrive at the end of this week:

Hehey!
Thank you, Neil for this topic

My first Junes coins:

Buy it here, in Moscow

and some stamps to my collection:

Buy this lot from Volgograd, Russia
Best regards,
Ilya.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
pustoshkinia@gmail.com
These 2 are sellers pics but they were cheap ! Both 99p the 1 double completes my year type set !

99p is a good price for the crown.  They sell over here for NZ$7-$10
1st swap in June (swap+buy, we swaped and i bought 2 Lats coins)

This swap i close one of my 2015 goals - complete Latvian commemorative coins.

This lot i bought here in Russia

different years coins for my USSR collection by year

This 5 coins (the same) i bought here in my city (1 for me and 4 for swaps or re-sells)

And very interesting coins from Belarus
bought them from Belarus

One of them is square coin   :8D
Best regards,
Ilya.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
pustoshkinia@gmail.com
Mint Set turned up today, I bought it purely for the Elizabeth 1st proof. People were selling that coin on its own for £35+, I got this set for £39.99, all the other sets were £50+

and this German  1877E 50 pfennig

Got my eye on this unusual silver crown now.

Restoration addict : Verdigris Removal : Zinc White spot removal : Iron Rust Removal : Silver brooch/necklace mount Removal
 A few more recent purchases (images and titles from sellers) ...

2003 Silver-plated "Shall not contain Tania goddess"

1872 Queen Victoria - St Pauls - Thank you for return of health HRH Prince of Wales

1830 Guernsey 4 Doubles

Art Nouveau Lady & the Lyre - Music Academy - Antique Art Medal signed F RASUMNY

1981 Gibraltar Charles & Diana Royal Wedding Crown

1991 Gibraltar Charles & Diana 10th Anniversay Prooflike Crown - Royal Yacht Britannia

A collection of Falkland Islands coins

1992 Belarus Banknote Set 50 Kapeek - 100 Rublei 4 pcs Uncirculated Banknotes

2012 Zambia animal coin set 4pieces
Picked up a couple of good coins today. The first is a 1945 U.K. penny. It has a little verdigris and light spotting but it is still a nice coin.

The other is a proof 1971 Malawi Kwacha.

Just picked up a biafra 1 shilling from 1969, for just 15 dollars!!

All this, for $40. I think it was a good deal :)

This is my first properly medieval coin! Very exciting. Luckily for me, it came pre-attributed... it's a dirham from the Mongol emperors in Iran, issued by Öljaitü, who reigned from 1304 to 1317.

3 from Bhutan. Very interesting designs on these coins from such a remote place.

Toro's art deco "coin of the future" from Bolivia. This one belongs in every collection because of its completely unique design.

Just a small issue from Brazil. 1930s South America must have been a hotbed of experimental coin design :.

A provisional issue from Guatemala - I really like all crude provisional coins, and this one has a unique design. It looks like they were trying to copy the Lincoln cent.

In Hungary there was a narrow window of time after WWII but before communists took over. It's possible to find coins from this period, but they are uncommon (my guess is that the new regime tried to get rid of them as quickly as they could). The Kossuth shield design is nice.

Two issues from Portuguese India. Portuguese India is now the modern Indian state of Goa, after the Indians realized in 1961 that they could totally take Portugal in a fight. The Portuguese garrison wisely surrendered and today Goa is one of India's smallest states, with a population of 1,457,723 - a drop in the bucket compared to India's 1,210,193,422. Statistically, 1 out of every 830 Indians live in Goa. So coins from Portuguese India are nowhere near as common as coins from British India or the Republic of India.

This Iraqi rial has been cleaned, but that's lucky for me because there's no way I could afford an uncleaned one. Bonus: I can touch it as much as I like.

A pound from the Isle of Man with a neat cricket design. Interestingly, its edge has segmented reeding and no lettering.

Small change from Luxembourg.

A tiny denomination from Russia.

Joining my collection of Reuleaux heptagons - 1 tala from Samoa.

Finally, a nice coin from South Vietnam.
I wasn't aware of that olympic shooting coin. What Olympics is it from ?
If you don't stand for something you'll fall for anything
I wasn't aware of that olympic shooting coin. What Olympics is it from ?
If you don't stand for something you'll fall for anything
I've spent June buying coins for others, here is the first purchase for my own collection....and it's a nice one.

:love:
Quote: crruisercharlieI wasn't aware of that olympic shooting coin. What Olympics is it from ?
Do you mean this one:

UK 50 Pence Olympics - Shooting. A nice rotation error which maybe the seller did not notice.
It is from 2012 London Olympics.  One of 29 commemorative 50p's.
Quote: crruisercharlieI wasn't aware of that olympic shooting coin. What Olympics is it from ?
https://en.numista.com/forum/images/4f8a35a43e7d2.jpg
 It is number 21 on this image I made (all coins on one page), and is from the topic last year ...
https://en.numista.com/forum/topic26981.html#p223053
and the 29 coins is because there were 29 sports in the Olympics and Parallel Olympics (Paralympics) combined. Then the Royal Mint made a 30th item to fill out a 2012 Olympics album they issued, and called it a 'Completer Medallion' - and it is round not 7-sided like the 50 Pence coins, for some reason.  :)
https://en.numista.com/forum/topic26981.html#p223061

P.S. Just that Medallion on its own is fetching crazy prices, sometimes around £50 ...
eBay UK 2012 Completer Medallion
Got some coins from Brunei coming soon (sellers picture used):

and some from Guatemala (again, sellers picture):

£1 each set plus a bit of postage.
Quote: pcarey2003Got some coins from Brunei coming soon (sellers picture used):

I like them: and I recognised those blue background images, as (shown earlier on here) my Botswana and also Falklands coins came from the same seller!  :8D
Quote: ZacUKI like them: and I recognised those blue background images, as (shown earlier on here) my Botswana and also Falklands coins came from the same seller!  :8D
lol, and my Georgia coins above also.  I watch that particular seller as he nearly always has coins for sale for a country I don't have.  He had about 6 this time, but I couldn't bid on them all :)
:)  After I saw your post and replied, that reminded me to look at his listings (and add him to my 'favourite sellers') and I have just now made bids on three lots - not saying which ones !  :°
The countries I missed out on today were Honduras, Paraguay, Suriname & a n other (can't remember the fourth).

EDIT:  Although, some of these may have been re-listed as they didn't sell at all.....  ;)
newest additions.

India-Princely States BIKANIR Rupee

http://www.ngccoin.com/price-guide/world/india-princely-states-bikanir-rupee-km-72-1892-1897-cuid-73054-duid-202359

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces36428.html

1986 commonwealth games £2 proof

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces4410.html

Viking Isle of Man silver proof 50p

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces38498.html

EC Single market 50p, rarest 50 pence of them all.

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces13388.html

a Very nice high grade George III farthing

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces13162.html

Very high grade 1875H Victoria Farthing

there are more I have had this week, If I put them all you would be reading a book  B.

also bought a 12" tripod for my digital scope and a P-Touch 1000 label maker/printer.  :°
Hi Fluke,

If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for the EC Single market 50p?  I've been contemplating buying one for ages but they usually go for quite a lot.  Thanks.

Phil
The Normal EC I got for a great price of £35 and it is in very good condition, as if it had only seen a week or two in circulation before it was put into a capsule. extremely light marks on the obverse under my scope and reverse is immaculate with very nice satin lustre.

The Silver proof EC was just over £45
Thank you very much for the information Fluke.  Still a little out of my price range at the moment, but will definitely be looking to obtain one in the next year or so.
I paid £20 for the set which had the EU 50p in it bunc. I can't remember the exact price now for my piedfort silver issue but it wasn't nearly as much as it should've been !
I am still looking out for a silver piedfort and Normal proof of the Ecsm 50p, I haven't seen the piedfort on eBay at all. Piedfort coins tend to be overinflated on eBay that I have seen, similar to the kew gardens, I finally bought one a couple days ago in nice condition. I hate the hype that surrounds kew 50p :~
I bought a piedfort pound for £18 once! It was hilarious.
I have added some Swedish 1 kronor  silver coins to my collection.

I'm pretty  sure my silver piedfort was about the same price as the set I think it's all about waiting for the bargains !
That is something I always watch out for, its really odd that sometimes a single coin taken from a set is being sold for more than the entire set costs.

Queen Elizabeth commemorative crown for example was selling for 49-59.99, when I got the full mint set proofs for 39.99, work that one out.  B.

Mentality of sellers on eBay continue to astound me.  :O

I just choked after seeing this eBay add, "Piedfort" added to certificate with a blue pen...  B.  :O  :O  :O

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1992-UK-25-ECU-SILVER-PROOF-PIEDFORT-Rare-Double-Weight-BIN-59-/221800893553?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item33a45d0c71
Haha excellent ! If anyone wants that piedfort 50p before I put it on eBay I'll take £65 sent next day special delivery in the UK. Otherwise it's going on eBay this evening.
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces2600.html (almost uncirculated)
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces2818.html (1957)
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces955.html (1963)
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces2217.html (1995B)
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces3225.html (1997)
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces2302.html (1986, damaged)
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces15873.html (1904S)
Administrateur du catalogue, référent de nombreuses nations antiques et de la Lorraine.

Burning through my budget but nevertheless
On the right: Italy 5 lire from the Latin Union coinage?
Quote: chomp-masterOn the right: Italy 5 lire from the Latin Union coinage?
It's a Romanian 5 Lei from the same LMU.
Quote: jokinen
Quote: chomp-masterOn the right: Italy 5 lire from the Latin Union coinage?
It's a Romanian 5 Lei from the same LMU.
1st seen Romanian LMU coin, interesting
Quote: ZacUK
Quote: pcarey2003Got some coins from Brunei coming soon (sellers picture used):

I like them: and I recognised those blue background images, as (shown earlier on here) my Botswana and also Falklands coins came from the same seller!  :8D
Can you give me a link to his auctions??
Thanks
Best regards,
Ilya.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
pustoshkinia@gmail.com
 P.M. sent
 Today arrived a purchase (cost 33p each) of three tokens for 99p total. In date order ...

1793  Sherborne Half Penny
Obverse: A double-headed eagle 'Sherborne Halfpenny' 1793  
Reverse: A beehive & monogram PP&W (Preter, Pew & Whitty Bankers in Sherborne)
Edge lettering: Payable at the Bank in Sherborne  +Dorset+
Diameter: 28mm

1795  Half Penny token
Obverse: The head of a druid facing right with 'Current in the Counties of' then
continuing on the edge of the token 'Cambridge Bedford · and Huntingdon · X · X'
Reverse: A beehive with bees and 'Industry has it's sure reward'

1837  USA  Experimental hard times cent token
Obverse: "Jackass running" with 'I follow in the steps of my illustrious predecessor'  
Reverse: Tortoise with 'Sub treasury 1837 Fiscal Agent Executive Experiment'
 This was a satirical and privately produced token from the time of the U.S. financial crisis of 1837.
Edge: Plain

Then separately also arrived this beautiful French medallion ...

Bronze 1878 Paris Exposition medal signed Alphée Dubois
Excellent condition & patina
Edge stamped: Bronze
Medal diameter: 5cm
Weight: 59.3 grams
Obverse: Republique Francaise  /  Oudine
Reverse: Exposition Universelle  /  Paris 1878
Palais du Trocadero  /  Admin.on des Monnaies et Medailles  /  Alphee Dubois
A couple more lovely NZ trade tokens, both Milner and Thompson 1881

This month I concentrated on my Japan collection with some nice new items:

• I got the last two 100 Yen Y#78 coins that I was missing, Showa 36 (1961) and 38 (1963)
  • a nice UNC 1000 Yen banknote Japan #97b ND 1984

• and my first Exonumia item, a japanese medal commemorating the visit of the Japanese emperor and empress to the US in 1975
    it has a diameter of  54,9mm, weights 80,9g and it has a Jungin stamp which means it is out of pure silver

• also out of spite and because it was on sale I bought the coin that I could not create without pictures (5000 Yen - Osaka Gardening Expo) ... now I can make my own and nobody can deny the creation *muharhar*   X-D
    unfortunately it's still on its way to me ... for the outrageous sum of money I paid for S&H the Yanks take their sweet-ass time  :~
Quote: IdolenzThis moth  [...]
[*] a nice UNC 1000 Yen banknote Japan #97b ND 1984
Did it eat the note? XD
Here's my haul for the month.

As part of my upgrade programme I went for this..
A couple of crown coins I was ashamed I hadn't managed to get until recently..

I got this as it's the year South Africa left the commonwealth and became a republic.

Another upgrade coin this time

And lastly 2 Guernsey sets. 1956 new design set and the 1971 decimal set.
 Hope someone starts a July topic as well.
These are the purchases I made in the last few days of June ...

'A collection of Zambia coins'

'German States 1 Kreuzer copper coin 1807' [Baden]

'Austria 1 Kreuzer copper coin 1812 mint mark B' [with nice die crack]

'German States 2 Pfennige 1840' [Bavaria]

'German States 1 Heller copper coin 1843' [Hesse-Cassel]

'Isle of Man 1981 Sir Francis Chichester Crown - sealed pack'

'Great Britain 2002 Proof Pattern Specimen Trial 1 Cent Essai'

'Great Britain 2002 Proof Pattern Specimen Trial 20 Cents Essai'

'Nearly 300 world coins, many reasonable coins' [Due on Thursday]

'Falkland Islands 15 set of UNC coins job lot'

'Guernsey 1981 Charles & Diana Royal Wedding Crown'

'Philippines 1945 Silver 10 Centavos - US Administration'

'1992 United Kingdom - Great Britain Quarter 1/4 ECU - Parliament reverse'

'1992 United Kingdom - Great Britain 2 ECU - Britannia Reverse'

I already have a few bids on items which will be in July if I win them.  8)
A couple silver pieces with George VI on them:
Australia 1942S Florin - https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces7583.html
Australia 1942S 3 Pence - https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces2980.html

Got this one after reading about older coinage in the Brazil thread:
Brazil 1868 20 Réis - https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces3875.html

Last South American country I was missing:
Bolivia 1891 50 Centavos - https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces26167.html
Bolivia 1976 5 Pesos Bolivianos - https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces3229.html

Just another commemorative  silver dollar:
Canada 2000 Proof 1 Dollar Millenium/Voyage of Discovery - https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces23300.html

Random world coin:
Nicaragua 1997 50 Centavos - https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces5626.html

Trying to complete my North America coverage. Only BVI and Greenland missing now.
Saint Pierre and Miquelon 1948 1 Franc - https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces6008.html

A friend just came back from a trip to SE Asia and brought back some coins, including a couple with 4th portrait that I did not have:
Thailand 2014 10 Baht - https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces22038.html
Thailand 2010 2 Baht - https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces7234.html
HoH

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 22:07.