How do you tell? [solved]

10 posts

» Quick access to the last post

Just wondering how to tell which 1982 Lincoln cents are zinc and which are not. Any help?   Thanks in advance.
If you don't stand for something you'll fall for anything
Copper ones weigh 3.11 g
Copper plated zinc weigh 2.5 g
That is only .6 g
 The easyest way to tell large and small dates to me is with the 8's
Large date

Small date

next to each other

But there are so many variants its nuts. 2 touching the rim and not touching the rim. And mint marks in small different locations. large on top and 2 variant Small on bottom

I would try to find a 1982 D small date. It should be zinc. And use as bench mark for weight
good luck  yours daryl
It is, what it is, or is it.
Quote: ALLRED1950The easyest way to tell large and small dates to me is with the 8's
Large date

Small date
The easiest way to see which is large and which is small date is to look at the 2's.
The large date has a straight  line from the top to the bottom.
The small date has a bow in the line from the top to the bottom.
Yes you are right on the two's, But for me the 8's are easyer to see. But everyone is different What ever works for you. But i know there are some variants on the two.
It's easy to tell the difference when they are side by side, the post 1982 profile has much lower relief and lacks the richer color of the earlier coins. Or as others have already said, there are subtle difference in the typeface but it's right around that point where my interest evaporates. I only bothered to find the different types because my rather nice "Coin Collector" album has spaces for them.

I bought a lot of full BU sets of the 1982 Lincolns to give away as presents. I've given away all of them (after putting the best one in my album) but if you are really struggling to find the set let me know and I'll see if I can find another one from the guy I got these from.  A gift to an esteemed fellow collector. If I recall correctly I sent one of them to my dear friend Daryl amongst others.

They are only $1 each so it's quite a nice thing to have around, I'll try to get several of them.
Non illegitimis carborundum est.  Excellent advice for all coins.
Make Numismatics Great Again!  
yes Phil and i thank you for them. Need to put in my book. But have not gotten that far. The first two images are from your gift. It's been a rainy day up here.
Thanks for the offer Phil. The only reason I'm looking is because there's a place in my book also for the zinc coins and they're the only ones missing in the memorial set.
...it appears the only way to tell is by weight.  Thanks guys!
There is also the "ring test" to determine which coins are copper or zinc. Drop the coins on a wooden surface, and if you need help distinguishing between copper and zinc, use non-1982 pennies to tell the difference. The copper will have a more metallic sound, while the zinc is more clunky.
This is the set Charlie. PM me your address if you want it. Zinc / copper, large date / small date.

I'll try and pick up some more this morning, they would make nice contest prizes.
Non illegitimis carborundum est.  Excellent advice for all coins.
Make Numismatics Great Again!  

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 10:56.