World coins chat: Angola

6 posts
Angola is a country in south west Africa between the Congo river and Namibia at the Atlantic coast. Inhabited by numerous African tribes, the first Europeans arrived in 1484 when Portuguese explorer Diogo Cão first reached as far south as present-day Angola. In 1575 São Paulo de Loanda was founded as the capital of Portuguese Angola. The Portuguese used the colony for its slave trading enterprises, and did so by keeping good relationships with local chiefs. Many Africans from this region were shipped to Brazil and other parts of the New World.

By the 19th century the Portuguese did aim to modernise Angolan society but inequality persisted. From the 1960's both the MPLA and UNITA fought the Portuguese in an independence struggle which by 1972 looked to be failing as the Portuguese Army was successfully keeping  the insurgents back. However, tired of the many colonial wars Portugal was fighting the Estado Novo regime collapsed in 1974 during the Carnation Revolution. The new Portuguese government quickly started negotiations that resulted in Angolan independence in November 1975.

With independence a bloody civil war erupted that lasted until as recent as 2002. The communist MPLA, supported by Cuba, had to defend its power bases against UNITA & FNLA which were supported by the USA, Zaïre and South Africa. Meanwhile, the Portuguese white community and other educated elites fled the country leaving the economy in ruins.

Despite the civil war being over, the situation in Angola is still dire. Factions in the oil rich exclave of Cabinda (to the north of Angola) strive for independence, and the country's resources mostly benefit the few in power. Nevertheless, there seem to be some positive developments there as well that might lead to a better future.

Angola used the Portuguese Real and issued its own coins since the 18th century, with 50 Reis equal to 1 Macuta. Another series of these coins were issued in the 1830's. In 1914 the Escudo was introduced for 1000 Reis, but no Angolan coins were minted until 1921. In 1928 the Angolar replaced the Escudo at a rate of 1.25 Escudos per Angolar reflecting a 20% devaluation of banknotes. Coins retained their nominal value in centavos or macuta.

In 1952 Portugal started to unify its currencies and issued Escudo coins for Angola but the official replacement of Angolar was in 1958. The 1952 series included silver 10 & 20 Escudos, which were replaced by copper-nickel coins in 1969 and 1971 respectively.

In 1977 the Kwanza (subdivided in 100 Lwei) replaced the Escudo at par, then worth around 35 to the USD. As the economy suffered the Novo Kwanza replaced the Kwanza in 1990. Although at par, only 5% of banknotes were exchanged and the rest could be used to buy government securities (some might call that a scam). Inflation hit hard and the Novo Kwanza was replaced by the Kwanza Reajustado in 1995 at a rate of 1000 to 1, only to be replaced by a new Kwanza in 1999 at a rate of 1 million to 1.

This Kwanza, subdivided in 100 Cêntimos instead of Lwei, was initially worth 5.4 to the Dollar and coins were introduced in 1999 but its value fell soon after, stabilising in 2003 to 85/$ and in 2015 at 109/$. In 2012 a second series of coins was introduced.

Angolan coins of the Portuguese post-WW2 era are still the easiest to find, with the 1975-1979 Kwanza series also showing up here and there. More modern coins of Angola, especially the 1999 series, are  quite hard to find. Some Portuguese sellers offer the 2012 series but also these are relatively expensive for modern circulation coins.

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/angola-1.html
So I chose Angola to make landfall on the African continent. We were in Portuguese colonial spheres already and now I can continue down south and then work my way up towards northern Africa. I love it when people get worried over the course of my itinerary ;-)

Despite all difficulty finding Angolan coins I own 22 types starting from 1928. Can anyone explain me the origin of the word Macuta? Zaïre used coins in Likuta/Makuta so I presume it's a local African name.
Quote: jokinenCan anyone explain me the origin of the word Macuta? Zaïre used coins in Likuta/Makuta so I presume it's a local African name.
Etymology: Portuguese macuta, from Kimbundu mukuta, from Kongo nkuta cloth - See more at: http://findwords.info/term/macuta
HoH
A catchy tune to get into the mood...

After the world's powers began to criticize Portugal for its unapologetic and uncompromising colonialism, the Portuguese dictatorship began to promote the idea that Portugal had no colonies - its colonies were equal components of one great Portuguese Republic. Sadly, this was patently untrue. As part of that lie, coins from Portuguese colonies had their inscriptions changed - you can see the change from "COLONIA DE ANGOLA" in 1948 to just "ANGOLA" in 1961.

Eventually, Angolans began to fight for independence against Portugal. The most effective fighting force were the communists, so Angola eventually joined the disparate ranks of the African communist dictatorships. However, corruption, inexperience, and resistance led to the new communist government being basically indistinguishable from any other "normal" African dictatorship. In tiny letters, this coin says "People's Republic of Angola".

The communists fell, but the ineptitude and corruption remained. Another legacy of their rule is Angola's unusually violent national emblem, featuring a machete (!!!) and an open book. The latest series of Angolan coins may be difficult to find, but they are quite beautifully designed.
My 1953 2$50 shows me thar Angola replaced Colonia de Angola earlier than you said  :P
Administrateur du catalogue, référent de nombreuses nations antiques et de la Lorraine.
Catalogue administrator, numerous Antique nations and Lorraine referee.
Quote: chomp-masterMy 1953 2$50 shows me thar Angola replaced Colonia de Angola earlier than you said  :P
It changed in 1951 I believe.

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 16:06.