New WYSIWYG editor for the forum

26 posts

» Quick access to the last post

Hello,

I have just released a new WYSIWYG editor for the forum. It allows to format messages without knowing BBcode and to see the result immediately.

Feel free to report any bug and to share comments. If it works fine, I will add the same for personal messages and for Numisdoc.
Zac, looking at your message, it's not working so good. Which kind of message did you try to post?
That reply above was intended to show, as a test, just a smiley face, from the new panel, but it shows nothing; which may be connected to the reported error earlier of smileys not working - including in some forum images where it does not show as an image but a line of text with a smiley in there, sometimes. I have seen that in two topics today.
EDIT: I just now remembered what one of those two topics was, and that looks to have been fixed now.
As a test I put here the top row of eight smileys ...
:Zz: :wiz: :love: X-D ``- (8 :T.T: :o
which do show on the reply box as I select them, but when posted the 7th does not. :T.T:
:Zz::wiz::love:X-D``-(8T.T:o
:*;)B.:`:(z|z)0:)
``-:x;(:|x.:.(;0:snif:
/!\:O8):°:)B):D:8D
8.:P8~:~<:D
Are smileys working?
Almost - I typed my reply at the same time as yours, and there is that TT one.
And one with a /! in.
EDIT - I see first one now fixed (in your message anyway).
Oh, and there is no longer a Preview box below replies.
It looks good now ;)
Is it part of the new system that there is now no Preview box?
Sorry but I don't like it. bbCode was simple and this new editor takes a long time to load.

Xavier, you've been making a lot of good improvments to Numista but this is not one of them.
Exactly. The preview button is now useless, since you can see the result as you type.
Error
This message has already been sent

That is the red box I just got - when I hadn't sent a message.
And, now no smileys at all appear - maybe you with Admin rights can get them to work, but I cannot! I added some to this reply as a further test, but none appeared (except when being selected).
Quote: "ZacUK"Error
This message has already been sent

That is the red box I just got - when I hadn't sent a message.
​The reason is that you already posted an empty message less than 3 hours ago on this same topic. This behaviour, which is not new, aims at preventing the same message to be posted again by error (for instance if you use the "previous" button in your browser).
Quote: "ZacUK"And, now no smileys at all appear - maybe you with Admin rights can get them to work, but I cannot! I added some to this reply as a further test, but none appeared (except when being selected).
​For the smileys, you may have to clear your cache and refresh to get the latest version with the corrections I made.
This is a great improvement but there is a small bug. If I click on the image in the forum (to enlarge it) and then edit something in the message, one of these "death image" symbols pops up in front of the message. If I repeat that it continues and the number of these symbols increases.

test:| ff f f http://fnumista.com
There is no way, having right-clicked Copy somewhere, to then right-click Paste in a reply.
Test if color still works ... text :°
Edit: YES! :)
There's a funny little box before your post though.

Xavier, bring the old editor back please!
Nah it's good, a form like this is the standard for most bulletin boards today ... needs some code polishing and maybe some more options (like multiple picture upload, at least 2 one for each side of a coin) and if you are still able to type-in your own code I won't complain.
But one comlain I do have but this is as old as the new design:
The text that you write has more space in the editor than in the thread so you can not know how the text will look like at the end.
Not ideal formating wise and often not pleasing to the eye.
Quote: "Idolenz"The text that you write has more space in the editor than in the thread so you can not know how the text will look like at the end.
Not ideal formating wise and often not pleasing to the eye.

​The reason is that the width of the message depends on the screen size. Actually, about half of the users see the message with a different width from the maximal width.
If you are seeing Numista from a computer, you can experience it by resizing your browser's window.
Because of this, it makes no sense to have the editor with a fixed size. Your format optimizations would be valid only for the users with the same screen size as yours.

Quote: "dptashny"
​I will fix this.
Okay thanks for the explanation, I thought the size was the same on every device and then it wouldn't make much sense.
Xavier, could you at least change the "Source" button to the old editor? And also, how do we upload full sized images?

Thanks!
Full size images are not mobile phone users friendly... I think it's not possible anymore but if you click on the pic in the message, you will get it full size ;)
What about bringing back the old editor for the source button?
It seems rushed like it isn't yet complete and has a multitude of bugs. Seems like it hasn't been tested on a separate server forum to check for bugs before adding it to this domain.

Releasing something and fixing it after isn't a good way to do it because it can impact other forum functions and create a domino effect by interfering with other settings. Creating a sister server or clone of the site is very easy to do and you can fully test all new projects without it affecting forum users.

This is just my opinion from years of experience, not telling people what to do out of desperation. ;) :P
Restoration addict : Verdigris Removal : Zinc White spot removal : Iron Rust Removal : Silver brooch/necklace mount Removal
Q: What editor is this?
A: CKEditor (Redaktor might have been a better choice)

Q: Do image thumbnails works?
A: Auto-creates thumbails

Q: Does javascript work?
A: Nope
HoH
I have just released the complete fix for the right-click.

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 13:52.