Round the world - Numista style - Round 2 (Gambia - Numidia)

274 posts

» Quick access to the last post

Now that the first thread has reached its logical conclusion, I can post the second.

Here's the idea...
Quote: "neilithic"Start at the beginning of the country list in the Numista catalogue and post a picture of a coin from that country. The next person then posts a picture from the next country in the list and so on. Starting with Afghanistan, can we work our way all the way through to Zimbabwe without skipping any countries?
I've lost count... but here is the Gambia, one of the world's narrowest countries and a large exporter of peanuts.

All of these rules still apply, of course!
Quote: "neilithic"1. You can't post more than one country in a row, give other people a chance to have a go.
2. If we can't find a coin from a specific country, if we get consensus from people participating, we'll skip the country and perhaps come back to it at the end of the competition
3. You can re-post from a country that's already been posted if you have a particularly nice or rare coin and you didn't get there in time.
Let's keep it going with... Gaul! (or perhaps we should just skip that and move right to Georgia?)
Gaul

Georgia: Queen Rusudan (1223-1245) AE fals (Lang-13; Langlois-30)

Obv: In center; Asomtavruli ႰႱႬ (RSN), standing for RuSudaNi, surmounted by the queen’s monogram being a part of the ornamental device. Surrounded by a linear border. Asomtavruli characters ႵႩႬჃႫႦ (K’KNUMZ, standing for the date formula K’oroniKoN UMZ, i.e. 447, which corresponds to 1227, the frozen date) are placed into the right, bottom and left compartments between the ornamental device and the linear border
Rev: name and titles of Rusudan in Arabic in four lines across field surrounded by a beaded or a linear border;

الملكة الملوك والملكات; Queen of Kings and Queens
جلال الدنيا والدين; Glory of the World, Kingdom and Faith
روسدان بنت تامار ظهير المسح; Rusudan, daughter of Tamar, Champion of the Messiah
عزالله انصاره; May God increase [her] victories

The Georgian year is encoded using the "Paschal cycle". This dating system is based on the creation date being March 22, 5604 BC. From this date, they ran through a 532-year cycle. So, Year 1 was March 22, 5604 BC for the 1st cycle. And the 13th cycle's Year 1 was March 22, 781 AD. For years 346 to 532, add 780 to obtain the corresponding year in AD. The year starts off at March 22nd for each AD year. So, 420 + 780 = March 22, 1200 AD. For more information, please see Sweeny...

References:

Langlois, Victor, Numismatique de la Géorgie au Moyen Âge, A. Leleux, 1852
Пахомов, Евгений, Монеты Грузии, Мецниреба, 1970 (Pakhomov, Evgeny, Coins of Georgia, Metsnireba, 1970)
Sweeny, James O., Tempus in Nummis, Volume 1, Numismatics International, 1992
Paghava, Irakli, Georgian Coins in the Collection of the National Museum-Náprstek Museum in Prague, 2013

Just wanted to add one of my own Gambian ones.. Just the penny..

Well... Gaul was a joke, and I have a real one (but its ID is still unclear: Senones or Leuci)... Sorry Quant. Geek, try again :P

Administrateur du catalogue, référent de nombreuses nations antiques et de la Lorraine.
Catalogue administrator, numerous Antique nations and Lorraine referee.
Quote: "chomp-master"​Well... Gaul was a joke, and I have a real one (but its ID is still unclear: Senones or Leuci)... Sorry Quant. Geek, try again :P

​Glad you have one. I don't have any coins from Gual. Figured we would just skip that one :D
Quote: "Quant.Geek"
Quote: "chomp-master"​Well... Gaul was a joke, and I have a real one (but its ID is still unclear: Senones or Leuci)... Sorry Quant. Geek, try again :P
​​
​​
​​Glad you have one. I don't have any coins from Gual. Figured we would just skip that one :D
​ladies and gentlemen here is my Gaul coin :°
136 -GAUL - Obole of Massalia - Apollo - 50 a.C.

Obverse
Youthful head of Apollo left
Reverse
Wheel of four spokes with M A
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces62288.html
:D

QuoteneilithicGallia

(8

And here is a high-denomination piece from the German Democratic Republic
When I come back home I publish a German East African heller
Administrateur du catalogue, référent de nombreuses nations antiques et de la Lorraine.
German East Africa (Deutsch Ostafrika)
Can skip the German New Guinea??
I've got one German states..
Here's one that my favourite seller has got for sale at the moment. It can be yours for just NZ$590 ;)

German states (Bentheim-Tecklenburg-Rheda) 1761 6 (VI) Pfennige M(oritz) C(asimir)

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces21933.html

Germany - 1871-1948 (Weimar Republic) - 1922 - 3 Mark

Bundesrepublik Deutschland - Fünf Deutsche Mark 1965 J (Hamburg) - silber Münze

What? Didn't you understand? Let's do it clearer...

Germany - Federal Republic - 5 DM 1965 J - silver coin

PS : German coinage selection coming soon (German states & 1871-1948)
144 - Ghana - 50 Cedis 1999
Well I'm not missing out on my chance to list some German States coins

Hannover Thaler given as a pension to the survivors of the battle of Waterloo on the 50th anniversary of the battle

Wurttemburg 3 kreuzer (I just like the name of the state)

And a Hamburg 2 marks coin because I like the coat of arms

Since the bandwagon is rolling here are my x3 24 MG. the Hannover regency of Brunswick- Wolfenbuttel

and some of Hanover in general

I'll post for my German coins later, priority for the alphabetic continuity

Gibraltar 2p 2006 "Operation Torch"
Sorry if my post appears as a 2nd post but here are my German States coins:

Aachen 12 Heller 1767

Hannover 1 Groschen 1859

Mecklemburg Schwerin 2 Schilling courant 1777 (just created this page a few days ago)

Preussen 1 silber Groschen 1868

Sachsen-Meiningen 2 Pfennige 1863
Here's one for gib.

Here is a Gold Coast coin owned by the Numista member Yorkie:

And here is a coin from the German Democratic Republic:

And here is a coin that qualifies under both Great Britain and German States (not really!):

Great Britain should be excluded as a duplicate of United Kingdom. Next one is Greece.

Oh, wait, I've a coin from the Greek kingdom I wanted to add: a LMU silver Drachma. I'll add it before finishing my German post.
I also have one just no picture!

I would have posted it before if I had one!
Here is my LMU silver drachma, a little worn, probably cleaned before its acquisition, but real

If someone has ancient Greece I'll post Greenland too
Thessaly, Thessalian League: Anonymous (ca. 170 BCE) Æ Chalkous (Rogers-4var; BCD Thessaly II 24.2; HGC 4, 236)

Obv: Macedonian shield with star in center
Rev: ΘEΣΣA ΛΩN above and below, dart–sling (κεστροσφενδóνη) with dart inside

Greenland (looks like the Danish one)
And now, the last part of my German collection: 1871-1948

Zwittes Reich (Reichsmark) 1 Mark 1875 B

Zwittes Reich (Papiermark) 10 Pfennig 1916 A

Stadt Wiesbaden Notgeld 10 Pfennig

Stadt Neheim Notgeld (Kriegsgeld) 10 Pfennig 1917

Weimarer Republik (Papiermark) 500 Mark 1923 A

Weimarer Republik 5 Rentenpfennig 1924 A

Weimarer Republik 10 Reichspfennig 1929 D

Drittes Reich 50 Reichspfennig 1935 A

Drittes Reich 2 Reichsmark 1938 A

Drittes Reich 10 Reichspfennig 1940 G
I'll piggy-back off of you for Germany ;)

Germany, Third Reich: 1934D 5 Reichsmark (KM#82)

Obv: Potsdam Garrison Church divides date
Rev: Eagle divides date, denomination below

Issued for the celebration of the 1st Anniversary of Nazi Rule. Graded MS64 by PCGS

Germany, Third Reich: 1935A 5 Reichsmark (KM#83)

Obv: Potsdam Garrison Church, date 21 MARZ 1933 dropped
Rev: Eagle divides date, denomination below

Issued for the celebration of the 1st Anniversary of Nazi Rule. Graded MS63 by PCGS.

Germany, Third Reich: 1933D 2 Reichsmark (KM#79)

Obv: Head left, dates below
Rev: Eagle above denomination

Issued for the celebration of the 450th Anniversary of the birth of Martin Luther. Graded MS64 by PCGS.

Germany, Third Reich: 1938J 50 Reichspfennig (KM#95)

Obv: Eagle above swastika within wreath
Rev: Denomination within circle, oak leaves and acorns below

Germany, Third Reich: 1940A 10 Reichspfenning, Military Occupation Coinage (KM#99)

Obv: Large swastika pierced by center hole, date below
Rev: Eagle head above center hole, denomination below

Germany, Third Reich: 1938A 10 Reichspfennig (KM#92)

Rev: Denomination, oak leaves below

Germany, Third Reich: 1937E 5 Reichspfennig (KM#91)

Germany, Third Reich: 1939A 1 Reichspfenning (KM#89)

Later issues were re-minted in Zinc due to the war effort. Graded MS64 BN by NGC.

Germany, Third Reich: 1944B 1 Reichspfenning Zinc (KM#97)

Re-minted in Zinc since valuable metals such as Copper was needed for the war effort. See here for the earlier Bronze version of the Reichspfenning. Graded MS65 by PCGS.

19 coins from the 3rd Reich, it would be too much to show all of them... and over 66 from the full country (Germany 1871-1948)... And I don't count Bundesrepublik Deutschland and its Deutsche Mark, or euros, and a few Ostpfennig coins from Deutsche Demokratische Republik... Including German states but excluding post-WWII Saar, it's a provisory total of 211 coins from Germany. #2 in coin amount after French coins.
guys I'm here (8
I almost forgot to post my coin..
this is my coin for ancient Greece 8)

Greece (ancient) - Ionia - (-480--460)
AR Drachm - Ephesos
Metal: Silver
Weight: 3.23 g
Diameter: 14 mm
Légende complète: EΦEΣION
VF/XF condition
Quote: "chomp-master"​Here is my LMU silver drachma, a little worn, probably cleaned before its acquisition, but real

​If someone has ancient Greece I'll post Greenland too
​fantastic:wiz:
Quote: "Quant.Geek"Thessaly, Thessalian League: Anonymous (ca. 170 BCE) Æ Chalkous (Rogers-4var; BCD Thessaly II 24.2; HGC 4, 236)

​Obv: Macedonian shield with star in center
​Rev: ΘEΣΣA ΛΩN above and below, dart–sling (κεστροσφενδóνη) with dart inside

​idem ;)
Who has Grenada? Or Guadeloupe instead?
I'm sorry, nothing
300 countries club: 3 owners of Grenada and 7 for Guadeloupe
151 - Grenada:

I have Guadeloupe as well, but then I brake rule 1, so I wait a bit longer.
I've to wait for Guatemala or Guernsey
Quote: "chomp-master"​I've to wait for Guatemala or Guernsey
​Idem
If nobody posts Guadeloupe, I can do it but then I post two countries in a row.
I would say there is an acceptable exception... If not allowed, someone will have to post the next country before.
7 members of the 300 countries club have Guadeloupe so hopefully one of them will be on soon to post it. Maybe give it till the end of the day and if no joy continue with the next country and fill this one in later?
Quote: "chomp-master"​300 countries club: 3 owners of Grenada and 7 for Guadeloupe
​Sorry chomp-master, didn't see your previous post above, quoting the same figure! z|
Changing the alphabetical order to avoid breaking rule 1 seems to me a very bad option.
So in my opinion, or we wait longer till someone else posts Guadeloupe, or I post one of my three coins from Guadeloupe. Before we go further with the next country.
Guadeloupe?!:.
152 - Guadeloupe:

I am waiting for Hungarian states, Hungary and the Hunnic Empire :8D
153 - Guatemala

"The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom." ― Isaac Asimov
Blog : https://parimalscoincollection.blogspot.com
Twitter : https://twitter.com/ParryPhilaNumis
I'll finally take Guernsey with a nice crown
155 - Guinea:

I'm ready for the Guyana coin ;)
Me too, British Guiana and West Indies
no one have Guinea-Bissau?!
Even all members from the 300CC have it!
I have several too, but then I break rule 1 again.
Guinea Bissau

Sorry to keep you waiting.....

Roy
Spotted as Guyana but should be listed apart as British Guiana and West Indies: Edward VII 4 pence 1910

Here is one of my recent additions from Haiti...
158 - Haiti 5 Gourdes 1995
jump Guyana
& post Haiti .. but it doesn't compare to the beautiful nalaberong's coin
Quote: "nalaberong"
​Here is one of my recent additions from Haiti...
​Funny to see how much this coin remembers the French Revolutionary symbols... One part of the motto, the fasces, their own Republican calendar...

Next one: Hawaii, 4 owners from the 300CC
no one Hawaii??
I don't have Hawaii nor Hejaz.
Quote: "nalaberong"
​And here is a high-denomination piece from the German Democratic Republic

The German Democratic Republic was better known as 'East Germany' to distinguish it from the 1949-90 German Federal Republic or West Germany.

Aidan.
Can we skip Hawaii?
Quote: "simoneo80"​Can we skip Hawaii?
​I have Hawaii!
Coin referee for: AZE, FRO, GRL, US-HI, KOR, KGZ, MLI, MHL, MMR, PRK, UZB, SML, TAT, TWN, TJK
Banknote referee for: AGO, AZE, BLR, ECS, GEO, HTI, KAZ, KGZ, KOR, MNG, MRT, PMR, PRK, ROK, SWE, TJK, TKM, TUR, UZB, WSM, ZWE
Please post it
Quote: "chomp-master"​Please post it
Hawaiʻi, ½ Dala 1883

Coin referee for: AZE, FRO, GRL, US-HI, KOR, KGZ, MLI, MHL, MMR, PRK, UZB, SML, TAT, TWN, TJK
Banknote referee for: AGO, AZE, BLR, ECS, GEO, HTI, KAZ, KGZ, KOR, MNG, MRT, PMR, PRK, ROK, SWE, TJK, TKM, TUR, UZB, WSM, ZWE
I have nothing for Hejaz & Honduras, I pass until Hong Kong or Hungary
It looks like 7 members of the 300 countries club have Hejaz. I have nothing until Hong Kong myself (although a coin from Honduras has been put to one side for me).
I have Honduras, by no Hejaz.

I suppose I can get things started again with a (very crude!) Honduran 2-reales coin.
Hong Kong 1901 Cent

“A man without a hobby is only half alive.”
Franklin Delano Roosevelt
164 - Hungary
6 Krajczár - 1849 - War of Independence Coinage

Obverse
Coat of Arms of Hungary
Lettering:
MAGYAR KIRÁLYI VÁLTÓPÉNZ

Reverse
Denomination
Lettering:
HAT KRAJCZÁR

Have to post my avatar coin :)

Nezak Kings of Kabul: Napki Malka (630-711) AR Drachm (MACW-1510)

Obv: Bust of "Napki" type with winged headress surmounted by a Bull's head. Control marks behind head. Pehlvi legend - "NAPKI MaLKa"
Rev: Normal fire altar and attendants design. Control marks behind each attendant·

We seemed to have skipped the Hungarian States, but I can't post it due to the previous entry for the Hunnic Empire. I will, however, post a follow-up coin for Hungary:

Hungary: Lajos (1342-1382) Denár (Huszár-542, Unger-429v)

Obv: + LODOVICI • R • VnGARIE, Two-part shield (Árpádian stripes and Angevin field of fleur-de-lis) with three lilies above and to sides.
Rev: S • LADIS—LAVS • R •, Standing nimbate king, facing, holding halberd and imperial orb, lily in right field.

Hutt River 1991 5 Dollars (AH64 Apache)

Here's a lovely fish from Iceland. B.

I think it is safe to say that, because the only coin from Iles de France et Bonaparte has a rarity index of 100, we can skip directly to India (ancient).
Then off to Ancient India, but we still need Hungarian States:

Kalachuris of Kalyan: Bijjala Kalachuri (1156-1168 CE) AV pagoda (MCSI-639; Friedberg-325)

Obv: Various punches including five lions standing right, forelegs raised, created by round punches; Sri (x2); sun and moon; name.
Rev: Blank

or maybe something older:

Post-Mauryan Taxila: Anonymous (ca. 220-185 BC) Æ Unit (BMC plate XXXII, no.4; Pieper-1064; Mitchiner-526)

Obv: Tree in enclosure flanked by hill surmounted by crescent and Nandipada above swastika
Rev: Blank

India Ancient: Dinar of Muhammad of Ghor, GG#D6

India Ancient: Kashmir Post-Gupta Empire, Pratapaditya II, debased gold Dinar. MACW# 3638

India Ancient: Kashmir Post-Gupta Empire, Durla Deva, Dinar. MACW# 3652

India - British

Danish India, Tranquebar: Frederik VI (1808-1839) AE 4 Cash (UBJ-381; Gray-159; KM#159.1)

Obv: Crowned FR monogram with VI between and below
Rev: Value and date; NGC graded AU58-BR

Danish India, Tranquebar: Frederik VI (1808-1839) AE 10 Cash (UBJ-367; Gray-158; KM#166)

Obv: Crowned FR monogram with VI between and below; Small crown variety
Rev: X Flanked by stars above value and date

Danish India, Tranquebar: Frederik III (1648-1670) Pb Cash (UBJ-124; Gray-91a; KM#66)

Obv: Crowned F3 monogram
Rev: Crowned codfish, plain field, symbol of Iceland

I am going to break the rule and post Hungarian States. Someone else can come in and post a follow-up, if necessary:

Hungarian States, Slavonia: Stefan V (1270-1272) AR Banovac (Rengjeo-129)

Obv: Marten between two stars, above and below. Legend around - MONETA REGIS P SCLAVONIA +
Rev: Double cross, with a start and crescent above, two Omegas and quatrefoils between, and two facing heads below. Above the head are the letters S R for Stephanus Rex.

Quote: "sujit_kumar"India Ancient: Dinar of Muhammad of Ghor, GG#D6

​A penguin with a smiley face on its chest!
Ha ha.... Crude calligraphy of middle ages.

India - Dutch: Fanam. KM#48

French India, Pondichéry: Anonymous (ca. 1760) AR Fanon (KM#44)

Obv: Pearled Crown
Rev: 5 fleur-de-lis

India - Mughal Empire : 1 Rupee - Shah Alam Bahadur - Surat Mint - KM# 348.34

"The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom." ― Isaac Asimov
Blog : https://parimalscoincollection.blogspot.com
Twitter : https://twitter.com/ParryPhilaNumis
Portuguese Inda, Goa: Maria I and Pedro III 1786 ½ Pardao (KM#189, Gomes-06.04)

Obv: Conjoined heads of Maria I and Pedro III facing right, date below
Rev: Crowned arms

I've to take my dinner, but I would add my Republic coin(s).

India (Republic), 10 rupees, 1972
Dutch India: Anonymous (ca. 1695) AE Stiver, Negapatnam (Scholten-1244, KM#28)

Obv: Facing figure of God Kali
Rev: Legend in Tamil - நாகபடடணம (Nakapattanam)

Ancient India, Kushans: Vima Takto (ca. 80-100 AD) of various denominations

Upper Left

Kushans: Vima Takto (ca. 80-100 AD) AE (AICR-1177; MACW-2918; Senior B13.1T)

Obv: King on horse to right holding axe-like weapon in raised right, three-pronged tamgha on right, Greek legend around BACIΛEY BACIΛEYWN CWTHP MEΓAC
Rev: Zeus standing to right, with his left holding long scepter and with his outstretched right making blessed gesture. Kharosthi letter vi on left and flower-pot on right. Kharosthi legend around reading Maharajaasa Rajatirajasa Mahatasa Tratarasa

Middle Left

Kushans: Vima Takto (ca. 80-100 AD) AE drachm (AICR-1178; MACW-2919; Senior B13.1D)

Obv: King on horse to right holding axe-like weapon in raised right, three-pronged tamgha on right, Greek legend around BACIΛEY BACIΛEYWN CWTHP MEΓAC
Rev: Zeus standing to right, with his left holding long scepter and with his outstretched right making blessed gesture. Kharosthi letter vi on left and flower-pot on right. Kharosthi legend around reading Maharajaasa Rajatirajasa Mahatasa Tratarasa

Lower Left

Kushans: Vima Takto (ca. 80-100 AD) AE (AICR-1179; MACW-2921; Senior B14.1)

Obv: Hybrid Herakles-Siva deity standing facing holding long trident in right and lion-skin in left, three-pronged tamgha on left and Kharosthi letter vi on right.
Rev: Tyche standing to right holding cornucopia, nandipada on left, flower-pot on right

Upper Right

Kushans: Vima Takto (ca. 80-100 AD) AE (MACW-2937; Senior B17.1vT)

Obv: Radiate (9 rays) diademed bust of king to right holding arrow decorated with ribbons in raised right hand, three-pronged tamgha on left, dotted border around.
Rev: King in Iranian cap with long diadem-ties riding on horse to right holding axe-like weapon in raised right hand, three-pronged tamgha on right, Greek legend around reading BACIΛEYC BACIΛEYWN CWTHP M.

Middle Right

Kushans: Vima Takto (ca. 80-100 AD) AE drachm (Senior B17.1D)

Obv: Radiate diademed bust of king to right holding arrow decorated with ribbons in raised right hand, three-pronged tamgha on left, dotted border around.
Rev: King in Iranian cap with long diadem-ties riding on horse to right holding axe-like weapon in raised right hand, three-pronged tamgha on right, Greek legend around reading BACIΛEYC BACIΛEYWN CWTHP M.

Lower Right

This one is unknown to me, but dealer indicated it might be central asian. Rider on horseback facing left / tamghra. Any help in identification is much appreciated...

India - Republic: 1995(B) 5 RUPEES - 50th ANNIVERSARY OF F.A.O.

India - Republic: 1991 5 Rupees (Tourism Year)

India - Republic: 1971 20 Paisa Proof (FAO)

India - Republic: 2004 100 Rupees Lal Bahadur Stastri Proof

India (ancient) (Kabul Shahi)
Jital
- Samanta Deva - Bull & Horseman - Kabul Shahi - 850-1000 AD - Ohind mint
Type Bull & Horseman
Moving on to Indian Sates:

Vijayanagar: Venkata Raya III (AD 1632-1642) Half Pagoda. MSI#835