Engraver and Proof

11 posts

This message aims at: suggesting an idea to improve Numista

[Catalogue] Have distinct fields on coin page for the designer and the engraver
Upvotes: 7
Downvotes: 0
Hi,
I think the cell " ENGRAVER" must be changed to "Engraver / designer" when we add coins. because today most of coins are minted at private Mints of Foreign by some countries requests. As usual, coin designers today are most important people in coin description for most countries, then engravers.

2. Better if will be added a " proof" cell in coin main characteristics .And we willnot add " Proof" in comments if coin is only proof ( for proof commemorative issues)

thanks
David
#2 - There are many finish types besides Proof. Instead of making it a checkbox, it would make more sense for it to be a select box from which you can pick an option, i.e.:
  • MS (including BU, Proof-like, and Special Uncirculated)
  • Proof
  • Matte Proof
  • Reverse Proof
  • Antique
etc

Plus, additional checkboxes for any "extras":
  • Gilt/Gilded or selective plating
  • Colorized
  • Artificially Toned (by the Mint)
and that sort of thing
HoH
I agree with point #1. I met with someone listed in my catalog as the designer of a certain token, and he said that all he did was send the minting company his pencil sketches, so he is clearly not a dedicated engraver - but he is still important!
Quote: "nalaberong"​I agree with point #1. I met with someone listed in my catalog as the designer of a certain token, and he said that all he did was send the minting company his pencil sketches, so he is clearly not a dedicated engraver - but he is still important!
​yes, thats what I talked about.

regarding Proof cell, - okay, agree, there are a lot of grades. But proof is 99% among them.

If coin ( comemorative or non-circulating ) issued only in proof, better to mark it as Proof somewhere, but not in comment cell.

thanks
D
Hello David,
I agree we should be able to distinguish engravers from designers.
Quote: "nalaberong"​I agree with point #1. I met with someone listed in my catalog as the designer of a certain token, and he said that all he did was send the minting company his pencil sketches, so he is clearly not a dedicated engraver - but he is still important!
;)
Quote: "Dato Mikeladze"​2. Better if will be added a "proof" cell in coin main characteristics . And we will not add "Proof" in comments if coin is only proof (for proof commemorative issues).
​I agree we need a tick box by line instead of the comment section to better identify the Proof issues and this will also save hours of translation between French and English.
A simple tick box on the line who say "This coin is a Proof issue" will be enought.
And then on the coin pages you will have something like that:

Year Mintage Proof Frequency
1898 5,000 Tick 12%
1898 15,000,000 62%
Always look on the bright side of life!
I also agree with you, David - especially regarding coin designers.

Aidan.
Hello,
I'm sorry it took too much time to have this feature implemented. We finally have distinct fields for the engraver and the designer. :)
Status changed to Implemented (Xavier, 3-May-2020, 06:05PM)
That’s of course a very good step. Each day Numista is more accurate ! Thanks.
what about the second part of the initial proposal regarding a special field to better identify proof issues?
Always look on the bright side of life!
Quote: "Xavier"​Hello,
​I'm sorry it took too much time to have this feature implemented. We finally have distinct fields for the engraver and the designer. :)
​wow ! thats greaT ! thank You !

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 11:08AM.