Canada 1 cent 1996

4 posts
I found a Canada 1 cent 1996 (https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces425.html) in brass instead of copper.
The scans (upper image) nor the pictures of a camera (lower images) give the exact colour, but the left coin is as yellow as a brand new brass coin while the right coin is brown/red like this coin should be:

Is there anyone who saw or heard from this coin in brass too?
Essor Prof,
According to the Canadian coin "bible" , "Charlton Standard Catalog of Canadian Coins", all 1 cent coins from 1982 to 1996 were made of bronze, not copper. And the "bible" doesn't mention any variations in the metal composition for 1996 issue. Or any other variations of 1996 at all - it's damn boring year for the collectors.
Personally, I've seen 1982-1996 cents in all kind of colors, from bright yellowish to chocolate brown. So, if you really believe that your coin is made of brass, you might need some analytical data to prove that the Charlton is wrong...
There is a time for everything - Il y a un temps pour tout - Всему есть свое время - Для всього свій час, і година своя кожній справі під небом
Hey Essor Prof , the color can be odd with the copper-plate. Have you checked the weight . Bronze should be at 2.5 g, copper-plate zinc should be at 2'25 g. They did make some out of bronze in the late 1990's for special sets. But I think they started in 1998.
edit sorry should have gone to sleep,to sleepy to read right
It is, what it is, or is it.
FYI Zinc blanks started in 1997. I have a few different years brass coloured but they are not brass odds are 2 reasons for colour change 1. was heated up or 2. the mixture of metals for the blank was off hence the colour.
Trying to complete my large cent collection right now. Any help would be appreciated

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 23:24.