My special thanks to Mark240590 & sylvied

18 posts

» Quick access to the last post

I would like to use the forum to openly state my greatest of thanks to these marvellous people, who have helped me with a massive task of adding coins to the Numista site.
I have been well educated into adding what they want and how they want it, and although it was strange for me at the beginning, education is the way to go.
Mark has now validated just on 100 coins from Gibraltar and I have lost count of the efforts of sylvied.
I know some people criticise referees ect, but my admiration goes out to these people.
My heart felt thanks goes out to these people and all of the others who I have not mentioned individually.
I'm just a collector of coins, not a slave to it, unless I am in a coin shop.
For all you banknote collectors. Link to my swap list.
https://colnect.com/en/banknotes/list/swap_list/COINMAN1
It's always a pleasure to have such keen members adding to the catalogue. You were one of the members I was talking about in the other thread. Thanks for your efforts mate long may they continue!
Nice job folks. Leading by example Mark!
Non illegitimis carborundum est.  Excellent advice for all coins.
Make Numismatics Great Again!  
Hello,
It is a bit of a detail but couldn't you crop the Gibraltar coin pics before adding them ? As any other ...
Just to follow the catalogue guidelines.
It is really not difficult and a pain to do afterwards.
Sorry to bother0:)
Regards,
André
Quand l'Histoire et la Géographie se croisent sur nos pièces de monnaie ...
Referee for Austria-Habsburg, Austrian Netherlands, Austrian States, Bohemia, Silesia.
Traducteur, demandez en cas de besoin ! Translator, ask if you need !
Quote: "Ecapoe"​Hello,
​It is a bit of a detail but couldn't you crop the Gibraltar coin pics before adding them ? As any other ...
​Just to follow the catalogue guidelines.
​It is really not difficult and a pain to do afterwards.
​Sorry to bother0:)
​Regards,
​André
This man is adding a hell of a lot of coins right now. Cropping the photos can easily be done at another time so it's not too much of a problem.​ at the end of the day would you rather there were no pictures ?
Usually we have to crop coins, that's right. However we still have lots of uncropped coins as not all people is able to do it. Me first, Ecapoe can confirm it.

Moreover I remember the time I was "hunting" newly registered coins and lots of the corrected coins were from British overseas or Crown dependencies. And I remember my French-speaking talks with sylvied about your Manx, Jersey or Guernsey crowns. Never easy but nice work as well.
Administrateur du catalogue, référent de nombreuses nations antiques et de la Lorraine.
Catalogue administrator, numerous Antique nations and Lorraine referee.
Quote: "chomp-master"​Usually we have to crop coins, that's right. However we still have lots of uncropped coins as not all people is able to do it. Me first, Ecapoe can confirm it.

​There are plenty of free programmes you can get to do it. I use "PhotoScape" and that seems to work pretty well http://www.photoscape.org/ps/main/download.php
I may consider it when my computer will be no more full. Need to buy external drive.
Administrateur du catalogue, référent de nombreuses nations antiques et de la Lorraine.
Catalogue administrator, numerous Antique nations and Lorraine referee.
Having just looked through the coins listed in the 'Latest coins' tab, I noticed that there are a few 2016 coins listed without a picture.
You now need to make a choice.
1.Pictures that are un-cropped
2. No picture at all

I am a coin collector first and a computer user second, and am certainly not a computer expert.
Every computer user states that it is easy to do this and do that, but that is easy to say when they can do it.

My thoughts are that it is better to have a picture that shows the detail of the exact coin, rather than a desciption that could possibly fit more than one coin.

I will continue to add coins to the website as I do now unless the majority feeling is that I am doing it badly.
If this become the fact, then I will add desciption, but no pictures.
Quote: "COINMAN1"​Having just looked through the coins listed in the 'Latest coins' tab, I noticed that there are a few 2016 coins listed without a picture.
​You now need to make a choice.
​1.Pictures that are un-cropped
​2. No picture at all

​I am a coin collector first and a computer user second, and am certainly not a computer expert.
​Every computer user states that it is easy to do this and do that, but that is easy to say when they can do it.

​My thoughts are that it is better to have a picture that shows the detail of the exact coin, rather than a desciption that could possibly fit more than one coin.

​I will continue to add coins to the website as I do now unless the majority feeling is that I am doing it badly.
​If this become the fact, then I will add desciption, but no pictures.
​don't worry about it mate if I felt it necessary then I would have asked you about it a while back. Keep plugging on the pics are good quality !
Mark,
Thanks for your continued support. Added 10 more yesterday. I think I am nearly at the end of Gibraltar now
Wow,
You must of validated coins whilst I was added my last post
Thanks again
Hello,
I am sorry I felt I had to play the bad guy in the story 8.
You are right better uncropped than no pic !
For description, it is important for the search engine. E.g. I collect coins with boats and many sheets don't have boat or ship or bateau, or any key word, in description, can't find them. I now ask contributors to put at least the lettering when creating new sheets.
Don't worry, I do fully support your work, if all members would do that, there would be no problem!

All the best,
André
Quand l'Histoire et la Géographie se croisent sur nos pièces de monnaie ...
Referee for Austria-Habsburg, Austrian Netherlands, Austrian States, Bohemia, Silesia.
Traducteur, demandez en cas de besoin ! Translator, ask if you need !
Gibraltar up-date.
Having looked at my own database listing, I have 340 different coins, but on Numista I have only 283. Sorry Mark, I think I pre-judged my total, so I have more work to do. I need to find them first by checking against each other.
Quote: "COINMAN1"​Gibraltar up-date.
​Having looked at my own database listing, I have 340 different coins, but on Numista I have only 283. Sorry Mark, I think I pre-judged my total, so I have more work to do. I need to find them first by checking against each other.
​not a problem, however please be aware I'm back to work on Monday but I shouldn't be as bad since I'm on days and refreshed after a fortnight off, generally days you can speak to me but I more than likely won't work on the catalogue as much as I do on the other two shifts because I end up falling asleep by 8/9 pm.. I have no idea why either !
Quote: "COINMAN1"​Gibraltar up-date.
​Having looked at my own database listing, I have 340 different coins, but on Numista I have only 283. Sorry Mark, I think I pre-judged my total, so I have more work to do. I need to find them first by checking against each other.
​Firstly, I would like to add my vote of thanks for the good work that is being done by the team in general and Mark in particular. Also, having met him in person, I can vouch for the fact that he is a bloody nice bloke too!

Secondly, let me say that I have just taken a look at the Gibraltar pages and it is quite obvious that a great deal has been done there, especially considering how many pieces have been struck for this dependency.

However, I would like to add a couple of observations/queries relating to some of the listings which should perhaps be addressed or discussed (perhaps under a separate topic rather than hijacking this thread!)

* First thing I noticed is there are some KM#Tn's mixed up with the regular Victorian Quart strikes - I agree that they should be under the same country listing but perhaps a separate section?

* There is a separate section for the "Royals" which I think is absolutely the right thing to do but the "Crowns" are mixed up with the standard decimal issues - perhaps the Crowns should be separated like the Royals?

* There is a bit of mess/mix-up with regard to the Queen Elizabeth II portraits. Firstly, the decimal issues go from 3rd to 4th portrait and then back to 3rd again which, although the more recent portrait is by Maklouf, technically it is not the 3rd. Also, there are just so many different portraits that are used across all the various different issues that I'm not sure you can simplify with numerics but I'm not entirely sure what the answer is?

Again, sorry to hijack this thread but just wanted to put these observations out there.
Just because you can't see it ... doesn't mean it isn't there - Anon.

Coin catalogue referee for England, United Kingdom & pre-Union South Africa.
Banknote catalogue referee for England & United Kingdom.
I'm aware of some discrepancies within the Gibraltar catalogue but I don't have the time to get in and fix them between my own life, refereeing all the countries I do aswel as sorting out Provincial Canadian tokens which are in need of a serious renovation. There's one good member who is constantly fixing things for me in gib's catalogue but they seem to stay more with the commemorative issues.

Thanks for raising this rich, I will take a look when I get more spare time and see if I can sort it out :)
Thanks Mark, I know you already do a ton of work on the catalogue and didn't mean to add to your workload. Let me know if there's a way that I can help share the load somehow.
Just because you can't see it ... doesn't mean it isn't there - Anon.

Coin catalogue referee for England, United Kingdom & pre-Union South Africa.
Banknote catalogue referee for England & United Kingdom.

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 11:30.