Italian states - Mantua siege coinage? [solved]

4 posts

These coins should be from 1848 Mantua siege. I did not find them in catalogue, maybe because I do not know where to look. If somebody knows where to add them (if they are not in catalogue alredy) I stand ready to translate the info about them from czech.

Source of the images is here, but you have to scroll pretty much down:
http://zpravodaj.nume.cz/zpravodaj/post/show/479
Catalogue administrator
Hello,

3 kreuzer is KM#2192 with the 2 variants.
Her#377

20 kr is KM#2209, Her#288

the 1/2 thaler is KM#2226

None is in our catalogue yet. You're welcome to add them in Austria Habsburg :)
And Radetzky, probably at the origin of those coins, was Czech !
Though the story told in Krause catalogue is only partly right. Minted in Mantua but after the 18-22 March siege of Milano, and the retreat to Mantua of the Austrian troops.

Regards,
André
Quand l'Histoire et la Géographie se croisent sur nos pièces de monnaie ...
Referee for Austria-Habsburg, Austrian Netherlands, Austrian States, Bohemia, Silesia.
Traducteur, demandez en cas de besoin ! Translator, ask if you need !
I will add them but under Austria-Hungary?

This points me to Italian states - https://www.ngccoin.com/price-guide/world/italian-states-mantua-3-kreuzer-carantani-km-278-1848-cuid-199906-duid-428960

That is what still puzzles me, where do they belong? B.
Catalogue administrator
Hello,

Ah ah ! You point at one of these problems we have with Krause.
Those coins "belong" to ... Lombardie Venetia if we look at geographic location, at Austria Habsburg if we look at the authority that ordered the minting.
Krause has an erratic behaviour for this criteria. Coins that differ only for the mint mark A, B, C etc, as you noticed, are under Austria. When the difference is more or when the guy who decides has another idea, then it goes somewhere else. And occasionally changes with time. This explains the "previously KM#xxx" that show up often and messes up our collections.

In that precise case, my Krause catalogue is older and holds the previous choice. I don't have a newer version of the catalogue.
Since Numista has the policy of following Krause (and NGC which is the same info), maybe better add those coins to Italian States putting the "previously ..." in comments. Maybe ask nthn who is the referee for Italian States.

Regards,
André
Quand l'Histoire et la Géographie se croisent sur nos pièces de monnaie ...
Referee for Austria-Habsburg, Austrian Netherlands, Austrian States, Bohemia, Silesia.
Traducteur, demandez en cas de besoin ! Translator, ask if you need !

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 08:05.