Menu

Misleading information

19 posts

This message aims at: suggesting an idea to improve Numista

Votes: 4

» Quick access to the last post

Andy289
In main menu if you press "Your coins" (1) button it will be loaded a page with title "Your collection" (2) which can be tricky because your coins does not necessarily mean your collection and things go on in this direction. So you pressed "Your coins" (1) button, page title is "Your collection" (2) and next option is again "View your coins" (3).

Basically we don't really have a place where we can view just the coins in our collections but all coins (collection + exchange + coins that are not from collection). My suggestion is to have different pages for different things. Coins does not necessarily mean your collection so it should be on a different page than your collection page. It makes sense what I said?
Fluke
I was lost by the 4th line. B.
Restoration addict : Verdigris Removal : Zinc White spot removal : Iron Rust Removal : Silver brooch/necklace mount Removal
Andy289
No offence but this is exactly what I would call mediocrity. Why did you bother to reply but did not bother to put any effort to understand. I could try to explain you better if you really want but I think is not the case.
Coinman48
I'm not sure how you are trying to distinguish "your collection" from "your coins." Most English speakers would consider them the same, with "your collection" just being a group name for "your coins." Are you trying to say that "your coins" includes coins you are seeking but do not yet own? That would not be thought of as "your coins" by most English speakers, so I see no confusion in the terms.
ArnoV
"your collection" = "your coins" -/- "your duplicates"

Andy289
For example I collect Euro coins but not every type and every year. We know that now are 1st map, 2nd map and other types but I collect Euro coins by country and nominal value, no matter if is 1st or 2nd map design. More, some Numista users collect coins just from one country and have for exchange many coins from other countries. Are those coins from their collection? I suppose not because the coins you own doesn't imply that you collect all of them. I think the terms are not equals.
Andy289
Quote: "ArnoV"​"your collection" = "your coins" -/- "your duplicates"

​It might be true in some cases but not all.
dptashny
Does this really matter?
cncote10
Quote: "Andy289"​For example I collect Euro coins but not every type and every year. We know that now are 1st map, 2nd map and other types but I collect Euro coins by country and nominal value, no matter if is 1st or 2nd map design. More, some Numista users collect coins just from one country and have for exchange many coins from other countries. Are those coins from their collection? I suppose not because the coins you own doesn't imply that you collect all of them. I think the terms are not equals.
​Ok I think I get it...are you looking for a way to differentiate those coins which you list in your swap list for example and those that you actually collect? Which is to say your "collection" and youd prefer the stats for that to be different?

The only counterpoint I can think of to that (assuming I understood) is for people who list duplicates of coins they do indeed collect in their collection. So maybe this is just a question of splitting coins for swap and your coins that arent for swap...
Andy289
@cncote10 I am thinking that "collection" are coins where exchange box is empty.
@dptashny I can live with that but it's pretty amazing that we have an intuitive catalog, a good swap system but we can't really see in a proper way what we collect.
cncote10
Quote: "Andy289"​@cncote10 I am thinking that "collection" are coins where exchange box is empty.
​Ok yea thats what I figured.
smoked_caramel
Quote: "Andy289"​I am thinking that "collection" are coins where exchange box is empty.
What if it is a single year coin and I have it both in my collection and for swap?
Andy289
This is a common case and a coin doesn't need to be exclusive on one page or other. The coin should appear in both: my collection page and my coins page.

Maybe instead of my suggestions I should ask if people really see a difference between the coins that compose their collection and other coins that they may own.

I read many threads on forum about what everyone collect and I saw many options: at least one coin from each country (maybe with some variations), all coins from one country, coins from certain period, etc. For all those categories, except those who collect any coins, the word collection should define the coins that fit the category (a country, a certain period, etc) and the word coins should be your collection and any other coins that not fit into the rules that define your collection.
Jarcek Numista team
Maybe it is a good idea to make some changes to it, but personally I think that this is at pure bottom of priorities.
Catalogue administrator, Referee for Kingdom of Bohemia. You can also support my work on Numista through Patreon if you wish: https://www.patreon.com/Jarcek
Andy289
Then we should change the page title from "Your collection" into "Your coins" as long we see the list of all coins.
pnightingale
I've been thinking the same thing.

I had a very large collection, around 12,000 coins plus several thousand duplicates. Now I've shrunk my ambitions to a very narrow focus so my actual collection, i.e. the coins I don't wish to get rid of is only a few 100 and there's no easy way to filter it out from all the "statistical noise" of the rest.
Non illegitimis carborundum est.  Excellent advice for all coins.
Make Numismatics Great Again!  
bam777
I see your point. The titles are ambiguous.

Your collection: Could be - Coins by country etc.

is is that what you mean. In which case I'm in agreement.
Carlos55
Adam,

While technically you are correct in making the distinction between your coins and your collection, because not every coin you own is part of what you want to collect, be it coins with ships, bi-metallic, world coins,coins with butterflies, etc. I also believe that there is no way for Numista to know, and/or keep track of whatever it is that every member considers their collection. That is your job as a collector to determine and keep record of. In general I think this distinction is kind of splitting hairs if you keep in mind the function of Numista, which is much more general than any particular collector's coins-to-keep/coins-to-swap kind of listings, what I prefer to collect, and so forth, kind of listings.

Cheers
Trade only within the US.
Xavier Site admin
Hello,
The page "My collection" was just renamed into "My coins", in order to avoid any confusion and to be aligned with the name of the page in the menu. A filter to show only coins for swap or not for swap or both was also added some time ago.
Status changed to Implemented (Xavier, 16-Jun-2019, 04:56PM)

» Top of the page

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 01:35PM.