Italy 100 Lira 1955-1957 Reality Check

12 posts

» Quick access to the last post

Can anyone shed any light on why these particular coins have such an unrealistically high catalog value?

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces304.html

https://www.ngccoin.com/price-guide/world/italy-100-lire-km-961-1955-1989-cuid-30886-duid-91823

I have both the 1955 in EF and an A/UNC 1956 both of which have values of around $50. I can almost understand that the 1955 coin is relatively scarce with a low mintage of 8.6 million however the 1956 and 1957 have mintages of 99 million and 90 million making those two dates far from rare.

As I'm wanting to get rid of these coins it seems stupid to stick with a $50 price tag and have them squatting in my swap lit forever. So I'm reducing the price for the 1955 EF and the AU 1956 to a more realistic $8. Can anyone who collects this series offer an opinion as to the wisdom of that move, am I cutting my own throat along with the prices or is that more in keeping with the real world?
Non illegitimis carborundum est.  Excellent advice for all coins.
Make Numismatics Great Again!  
Hello, it's probably the price of the NGC box, not the coin;-)
I'm not sure, but I have a 1955 that I am hoping to sell (as well as a 1958 50 lire, which has a similar high catalog value), so I am personally hoping the catalog values are realistic in this case...
Sorry to dissapoint but A quick search on sucesfully sold examples on Ebay shows plenty of XF and better coin being sold for less than 2-3 USD
If you like coins, medals and tokens with ship motives follow my new instagram account with regular updates @numisnautiker
From time to time I sell some coins on Ebay make sure to follow me @apuking on Ebay.
Editing misplaced decimal point.
? Format  Format  Format ?   ?
Do not argue with ignorant people .. !! They will drag you down to their level, then pulverize you with experience ...
Catalogue error more than likely, especially when you compare it with the 1958 50 lire with a mintage of less 900,000 and valued at $40 in xf.
The problem for the first 50 and 100 lire of the Repubblica Italiana is the REAL grade of conservation.
The 50 and 100 lire are made in ACMONITAL, very hard stainless steel, all Italian collector are really strict on that coins. The MS to be effectively perfect, are not tolerated sign of contact especially at the edge. The metal must have full luster and untouched bottoms, all reliefs should be at maximum height, a sign of a still strong coinage.
And the price of the MS64 conservation is really high.

I saw a lot of this coins on Ebay and the conservation on the 99% of the cases are wrong.
Please remember the difference between a slabbed coins with American grade and Italian grade. (I saw MS box with rim on the edge or sign or hairlines)

hope could be usefull.
Fabio
Fabio Benedetti
Thank you everyone for your responses, especially our Italian friend Fabio. That does explain the matter I think.

I reckon it's a similar story with the issues from the 1940's made from similar metal. These coins show a similar lack of wear. A combination of very high quality control standards and an excellent choice in material have given collectors a real blessing.
I for example never got the 100 lire 1955, i don't have it in my collection8~
What some beginning and even seasoned collectors in the United States don't realize is coins are graded differently in Europe. Many collectors here in the U.S. use the standard Sheldon system to grade foreign coins by comparing them to the nearest U.S. type. However, foreign coins wear differently than U.S. coins. Comparing a quarter sized Italian coin to s U.S. quarter can't be done. The older Italian coin is a stainless steel and the U.S. coin is a nickel composition. There are books around on how to grade foreign coins in general. Books on how to grade for each and nearly every country you collect, if you look hard enough. Even if you don't sell foreign coins, it pays for you to be able to correctly grade them. I know this didn't address the specific problem cited but it addressed the problem as a whole.
dabarre
Quote: "kommodore"​I for example never got the 100 lire 1955, i don't have it in my collection8~
​If we will find an accord for a future swap I will send a good vf for free ;)
Fabio Benedetti
Quote: "jeffff_it"
Quote: "kommodore"​I for example never got the 100 lire 1955, i don't have it in my collection8~
​​If we will find an accord for a future swap I will send a good vf for free ;)
​ What a classy way to demonstrate the true value, well done Fabio.

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 16:38.