Shall I clean it ?

15 posts

» Quick access to the last post

Hi all
I got a Britain's First Decimal Coin Set but it is dirty . . .
So shall I clean it or keep it as it is ?
Loay
May we see a photo of the coins please?
Dirty is a very generic word. (and so is clean)
I wouldn't call that dirt I would call it toning, or patina. Personally I wouldn't clean them.
Entirely up to you what you choose to do, but your coins have slight toning and not dirt.

I personally wouldn't clean them.
Restoration addict : Verdigris Removal : Zinc White spot removal : Iron Rust Removal : Silver brooch/necklace mount Removal
Hi,

you're right you have a set, but not an official set, so your coins are not guarantied to be more than a collection of single coins from the same country from different sources. The carton holding the coins is just that, a piece of card board with holes in it and each hole is holding a coin.

Since those coins have no real "set" value, you can chose to whatever you like with them, since they are easy to replace!

Just my opinion of course.
Globetrotter
Coin varieties in French:
https://monnaiesetvarietes.numista.com
Thanks for all for your advice .
Sjoelund how the offical set looks like ?
Thanks & regards .
Hi,

I'm not at home for the moment, so I cannot show you any of mine, but they ALWAYS have the name of the issuing country on them and everything is wrapped airtight around a professional made card board. What I show here is not a set, just one coin "sets" from Australia:

As you can see, no white card board with holes in it.

Here is non official French coin set, nearly looking OK, but it's NOT from "Monnaies de Paris", so some dealer just it put together rather nicely.

Here is an image of a real set, please notice the difference

Ole
Globetrotter
Thank you my friend but you should not forget that the issued date of mine was in 1968 . . . & it's looks like this :

Is it ok now or you have other opinion ?
He is correct, the pre decimal 70's packs are horrendous.
Restoration addict : Verdigris Removal : Zinc White spot removal : Iron Rust Removal : Silver brooch/necklace mount Removal
Hi,

sorry for my critics, you have indeed an official set, although it was hard to believe for me.

Accept my apologies, please?

Ole
Globetrotter
Hi Sjoelund
No need to apologies my friend . . I believe negotiations always brings you a new knowledge .
For my I don't have any experience in sets & I just start to collect it , that's why I was asking that much of questions.
Thank you & every body answer my questions.
Best regards.
As the other members have said, the Bronze coins are displaying a pleasing level of toning that is often sought after by collectors but you may wish to place them in air-tight holders to try to prevent them from getting too much darker.
Just because you can't see it ... doesn't mean it isn't there - Anon.

Coin catalogue referee for England, United Kingdom & pre-Union South Africa.
Banknote catalogue referee for England & United Kingdom.
I have exactly the same set as you alalbani and mine are showing signs of toning as well. Personally, I will not do anything with them, I will be leaving them in the little pack they have come in.

Phil
I tried cleaning similar coins once and I made them worse. They got a bunch of carbon spots on them. Best to leave as is, I think.
coin collecting is fun.

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 07:24.