Need some help with a medieval European (Spanish maybe) coin [solved]

20 posts

» Quick access to the last post

I am no expert in the slightest, but it could be one of these ??

Couldn't find it here on Numista though....

Phil
Yep , it's the exact same one . Thanks!!!
You're welcome. Maybe just wait on a second opinion however, as I've noticed on the right hand side of the obverse on your coin are the letters CO, but on the coin in the link I sent, the letters are DVX. All other details do seem to match though.

Phil
Woah , did not notice that until now 8~ Interesting...
Could be from the county of Zeeland (the "CO" can stand for county and near it can be a "ZEL"?) Some of the counties might have had their specific coinage , and the "CO" might set them apart from the rest . This is just an assumption , I am not even close to an expert 8~
Yea different mintmarks. Not my area but I can see a tower(?) mintmark on yours and a cross on the link. Must be the reason for the difference.
On the phone now so I can't search but you should look for the meaning of the mintmarks of the Spanish Netherlands.
Yeaaaah , I kind of noticed something different there with the little tower on my coin and the cross on the other one , but I couldn't grasp it 8~ Those little details on this coin don't cease to amaze me , interesting little rascal
http://www.catawiki.com/catalog/coins/countries/spanish-netherlands/3559811-zeeland-statenoord-1550-1558

HA! Found something!!! Apparently they say that mint mark it's a hand 8. But even though that one it's very worn , it kind of resembles mine , it has the tower/hand etc (and my assumption for the county/statenoord of Zeeland it's kind of confirmed)

What do you think ?
You are correct. This is the Statenoord from Zeeland (1580 - 1587)

PHS. D:G. HISP. Z. REX. CO. ZEL (Philippus Dei gratia Hispaniarum z rex comes Zeelandia)
PACE. ET. IVSTITIA (peace and justice)

A lot of variants exist.

Here is the info (text is in Dutch but maybe you can use Google translate). Look for ZEE.3

http://www.duiten.nl/zeeland.html
Thank you a lot !! As from I can see mine is variant Z .

Interesting little coin
Mintmark is not a hand but a little castle, the mintmark of the city of Middelburg.
Quote: "stefandobyy"Thank you a lot !! As from I can see mine is variant Z .
What do you mean with variant Z? The variants go from A till O.
Oh , sorry , I meant to type D , ups B.
Quote: "stefandobyy"​Oh , sorry , I meant to type D , ups B.
Yes, I agree, I also would say it is type D for the obverse. That's the only legend that totally matches.

BUT: When you click on the D you see a picture which matches not 100 % with yours: the position of the P pertaining to the tip of the bust. But I guess these kind of coins always have very slight differences:

Yes indeed , for medieval coins can be a lot of errors .
This can be an error .
I learned a lot today guys , thanks! Cheers!! ;)
Wow, this one went viral lol. Glad you got there in the end, I think I'm getting better with identifying, at least getting the country right. Still got a lot to learn however :)
If I would want to add this coin to the catalogue where should I put it ?
Spanish Netherlands ?
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/spanish-netherlands-1.html
Yes, Spanish Netherlands.
Quand l'Histoire et la Géographie se croisent sur nos pièces de monnaie ...
Referee for Austria-Habsburg, Austrian Netherlands, Austrian States, Bohemia, Silesia.
Traducteur, demandez en cas de besoin ! Translator, ask if you need !

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 06:02.