World coins chat: Gibraltar

7 posts

Gibraltar is a small rocky peninsular on the southern tip of Europe 2.6 square miles in area overlooking Morocco. Its bordered by Cadiz Province of Spain but it is actually a British overseas territory and has been British longer than the United states have been Independent. The Rock its self is essentially honeycombed for many reasons such as the great siege tunnels and the World War II tunnels. Its known as one of the pillars of Hercules, which the Greek legend believes he created the Strait.

It has been inhabited for thousands of years, it was home to the last Neanderthals proven by the Skull found here. It was Captured by Moorish forces in 1160 remnants of their buildings still stand today. Gibraltar changed hands of power many times when in 1501 it returned to the Spanish crown, this is where Isabella I of Castile granted Gibraltar the Coat of Arms it still uses today. The British took Gibraltar in 1704 along with Dutch forces in the war of Spanish succession and was ceded to Great Britain in 1713 under the Treaty of Utrecht. Despite this it didn't stop the Spanish trying to reclaim their old land by placing it under siege in 1727 and then again 1779-1783 which is known as the great siege as the Spanish tried to take advantage of the war going on in America.

The Spanish have never fully accepted British Sovereignty of the Rock but in 1967 when put to a referendum the Gibraltarians voted overwhelmingly to stay British which resulted in the closing of the border. Further too this a Referendum was posed in 2002 on joint sovereignty which was thrown out by 98%

Gibraltar initially struggled for coinage with the Spanish coinage being the main source of commerce however this was un-favourable as all accounts were to be kept in sterling, The first tokens were issued in 1802 by a merchant of the name Robert Keeling who issued two denominations 1 Quart and 2 Quarts. He also brought a second type out in 1810 other Merchants soon followed the practice with James Spittles issues in Quarto(s) and Richard Cattons tokens. It wouldn't be until 1841 before Regal issues were delivered too the colony. Today Gibraltar uses the Pound, they have their own distinct local coinage as opposed to using the U.K coins. Unfortunately in more recent years this Historic Territory has got a name for its self for minting non-circulating legal tender.
Token issues:
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/index.php?r=Gibraltar&c=&cj=y&cat=y&mode=simplifie&p=1&e=&d=&ca=3&no=&i=&v=&m=&a=&t=&dg=&w=&g=&f=

Decimal coinage:
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/index.php?r=Gibraltar&c=&co=y&cno=y&cc=y&cn=y&ce=y&cu=y&cat=y&mode=simplifie&p=1&e=&d=&ca=3&no=&i=&v=&m=&a=&t=&dg=&w=&g=&f=
Like all overseas territories. And I don't count Crown Dependencies.

But their coinage policy remains strange for me as using different reverses.
Administrateur du catalogue, référent de nombreuses nations antiques et de la Lorraine.
Catalogue administrator, numerous Antique nations and Lorraine referee.
Quote: "chomp-master"​Like all overseas territories. And I don't count Crown Dependencies.

​But their coinage policy remains strange for me as using different reverses.
​Gibraltar doesn't even follow our Obverses anymore either. The portrait is completely different and instead of Queen Elizabeth II, she's now styled Queen of Gibraltar.
I'm thinking more about the way to mint coins with commemorative style as Operation Torch 2p or the Cannon 10p for multiple years...
Administrateur du catalogue, référent de nombreuses nations antiques et de la Lorraine.
Catalogue administrator, numerous Antique nations and Lorraine referee.
I see.. Yeah it's odd but I have always had a soft spot for the Gibraltar circulating coinage :)
Gibraltar is a great place to visit alongside the many things to see in Andalusia. I've been there 15 years ago by car crossing the border from La Linea. After the border crossing cars will cross the airport's runway as there's not enough space on this small strip of land next to the Rock. Getting into Gibraltar was easy, leaving Gibraltar wasn't. It's such a tax haven that the authorities take their time to look for anything in people's cars.

The Gibraltar Quarts were derived from the Spanish Real. A Spanish Dollar was roughly equal to 4s4d or 52 pence, which made a Real de Plata 1/8th of that equal 6 pence and 2 farthings. A real was 24 quarts, so 1 quart was 1 1/12 farthing.

In 1872 Spanish currency (Peseta) was made official in Gibraltar with a Pound worth around 25 Pesetas. In 1898, the Pound was introduced as the value of the Peseta dropped as a result of the Spanish-American War.

Gibraltar is currently a bit overdoing its issuance of new circulation types (yet another new design since 2014) and especially non-circulating commemoratives.

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/gibraltar-1.html
Quote: "jokinen"​Gibraltar is a great place to visit alongside the many things to see in Andalusia. I've been there 15 years ago by car crossing the border from La Linea. After the border crossing cars will cross the airport's runway as there's not enough space on this small strip of land next to the Rock. Getting into Gibraltar was easy, leaving Gibraltar wasn't. It's such a tax haven that the authorities take their time to look for anything in people's cars.

​The Gibraltar Quarts were derived from the Spanish Real. A Spanish Dollar was roughly equal to 4s4d or 52 pence, which made a Real de Plata 1/8th of that equal 6 pence and 2 farthings. A real was 24 quarts, so 1 quart was 1 1/12 farthing.

​In 1872 Spanish currency (Peseta) was made official in Gibraltar with a Pound worth around 25 Pesetas. In 1898, the Pound was introduced as the value of the Peseta dropped as a result of the Spanish-American War.

​Gibraltar is currently a bit overdoing its issuance of new circulation types (yet another new design since 2014) and especially non-circulating commemoratives.

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/gibraltar-1.html
thanks, I should have mentioned the airport road but was in a rush last night and Also couldn't find the info on how much/ many the quarts were equivalent to.

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 15:06.