1918 5 Ore Iron Rust - Restoration

14 posts

» Quick access to the last post

I have mentioned about taking on a Iron coin that has rust, treating it the exact same way as the copper verdigris restorations.

Here are the results......

Came out rather well.
Restoration addict : Verdigris Removal : Zinc White spot removal : Iron Rust Removal : Silver brooch/necklace mount Removal
Looks good
Taking a break from swapping for a while, but still interested in pre 1799 Spanish coins, I will make time for that!

Looking for pre 1783 coins
That's great - copper and iron can be done with the same procedure. Have ya given any more thoughts on Zinc? Ed
Those who believe they can do something and those who believe they can't are both right.
- Henry Ford
I don't have any Zinc coins to do a couple of trials, but I have attempted them before. One turned out as a blob of metal after holding in heat too long, second one came out ok.

I haven't used my current method on zinc yet but I imagine they will come soon.

Coming across more verdigris copper, rusted iron and zinc stained coins is proving hard, not much response for donor coins which can be sent back after being restored or swapped. Another reason why I need to pull my finder out and get on with adding coins I have available.
Restoration addict : Verdigris Removal : Zinc White spot removal : Iron Rust Removal : Silver brooch/necklace mount Removal
Hey Fluke I can send you some ugly zinc coins if you want to play with them.
It is, what it is, or is it.
Very kind of you to offer Daryl, Thank you.

I would be very grateful to anyone who can donate or swap so I can actually make a difference with coins that are on deaths door or turn a ugly stained coin into a beauty.
Lee: after your "restoration of a coin" what would you suggest coating the coin with - gun oil - wd20+20=40 or haven't you got that far.
Hey leave it to Daryl: A Friend in need is a Friend indeed. Ed
Those who believe they can do something and those who believe they can't are both right.
- Henry Ford
I don't coat them with anything because all the nasties that were on the surface are sterilised. After firing they are gently wiped with cotton buds (Cue tips) to get any of the charred remains off the coin or cocktail sticks if it is pitted problems and use the cotton bud after that. I simply take them back to a state they were before the coin turned to crap but without the use of chemicals and oils. The surface is completely sterilised.

From there they go straight into a coin holder, either a quadrum air tight capsule or a 2x2 self adhesive flip.
That looks amazing!
Thanks.

1781 Ireland Half Penny is next, I should have it soon. I don't collect them normally but when I saw this on eBay yesterday I knew I had to buy it to save it from the verdigris all over it, especially as the coin is in a pretty decent grade.

It isn't technically cleaning as the surface of the coin is not rubbed away, but it is altering the coin surface as expected after exposing it to high heat. Plenty will frown upon what I do but those who can still look at this coin in 10 years undamaged won't. That's why I do it. :D
I hope you post the after photos when you're finished. I'd love to see and I'm sure others would too.
That's a great looking 5 Øre. I haven't seen too many in that condition.
Numismatic version of "Don't judge a book/coin by its cover". With the right method, you can end up with a restored coin with no visible damage as well as sterilised from verdigris/rust.

More to come with before and after pics.
nicely done!!
Trade only within the US.

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 18:14.