Belgium 5 francs 1873 Position A or B ? [solved]

7 posts
What is the difference between a Belgium 5 francs 1873 position A and position B ?
I know it is something about reading the edge ?
One of the few coins were the distinction between these types is worthwhile because one variant is much less common and is apparently not caused by chance (maybe the laziness/ignorance of some workers).
This is how it is for every coin with an edge inscription no matter from which country the coin is:

POSITION A - Edge lettering reads normally when the side with the denomination on it faces up.
POSITION B - Edge lettering reads upside-down when the side with the denomination on it faces up.

All the Belgium 5 francs Leopold II KM# 24 have position A except for 1868 and 1873:
1868: position A = 98 %
1868: position B = 2 %

1873: position A = 70 %
1873: position A ("PROTEGE" with larger spacing) = 30 %
1873: position B = less than 1 %

A while ago I made a change request to add those percentages to the year line to have an idea about the rarity but it was rejected, although it makes a big difference, especially for the 1873. Catalog prices in euro for VF - XF:
1868: position A: 25 - 70
1868: position B: 125 - 375

1873: position A: 25 - 60
1873: position A ("PROTEGE" with larger spacing): 25 - 70
1873: position B: 450 - 900
Thanks Essor Prof !!
Which axis should the coin be flipped on ? Vertical, or horizontal ?
Welcome to Numista.

You don't have to flip the coin at all for position A or B, I think you're mixing up two different things: coin orientation and edge orientation.

For coin orientation you have to flip the coin but it doesn't really matter if you do it horizontally or vertically. If you flip the coin horizontally:
- When both sides are the same (both normally or both upside down) you have medal orientation.
- When 1 side is normally and the other side is upside down you have coin orientation.
If you flip the coin vertically:
- When both sides are the same (both normally or both upside down) you have coin orientation.
- When 1 side is normally and the other side is upside down you have medal orientation.

For edge orientation you don't have to flip the coin at all. You just have to keep the coin flat with the side with the denomination on facing up.
- POSITION A - Edge lettering reads normally
- POSITION B - Edge lettering reads upside-down
ok - I misinterpreted the information. Was thinking only in terms of coin vs. medal orientation . :snif: Thanks for the wake -up.

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 03:19.