Menu

Schtroumpf49's profile SWINDLER

97 posts

» Quick access to the last post

I'd like to ask why my post was deleted and what measures have the Numista Administration take to solve this problem with Schtroump49's that have cheated 20 honest Numista members!

Regards from Portugal,
Nuno.
THATS BECAUSE NUMISTA PROTECTS FRAUDSTERS AND CHEATS!!!!

Measurements taken: Zero

Same story as usual.:Zz:
Main Referee for Hutt-River
We don't protect them. I've contacted Xavier regarding this matter.

A lot of French members could call the police and sort it out. The fact is people get their pitch forks out and as for posting someone's address and Facebook profile...it's just wrong.

Flag it up with the police is the right thing to do...none of this vigilante BS.

My hands are tied and if the tools were easier for me, I'd be able to action something sooner.

If people don't flag it to me early, I can't set a warning.

Simple as...
P.s. I'm happy to stop scamming on the site but I can't do that on my own.

P.p.s. A troll stoking the fires is never helpful...consider this your final warning. I like typing 144 for days banned...so don't push it hamster.
The adress, the name, and nearly his whole life where posted here.

In my opinion the cheated members should go to the police.
I don't think they will get back their coins or money. But the bad guy (if he is the bad guy and not a victim of stolen identity) will get serious problems and hopefully won't do this again.

To prevent such incidents, there is not much we can do.
Even on ebay are a lot of bad guys who get the money and don't send the items. I learned that a hard way too.

Perhaps it might help a little bit, if all swapers exchange photos of the coins before accepting the deal and sending the coins.
And it might help a lot, if we don't do swaps about e few hundred €.
Even this is no guaranty, but if the betrayer don't have the coins, he can' t send pictures.
And, everybody knows the condition of the coins (if the pictures are good enough).
But there is the possibility, he has the coins, sends the pics, but don't send the coins. So - no guaranty.

I do only one swap at the same time. The other swaps are on a waiting loop. It takes time, but i can center on the swap in discussion and it is easyer to realize suspicious signs.
(The main point for me is, i prevent mistakes and don't agree to swap coins i swapped away before z|)

The suggestion, to limit the number of swaps at the same time is made. It has my agreement.
There is the question how many swaps at the same time are needed to do it without problems in an honest way.
For me it would be enough, if i can
- discuss one swap,
- wait for the rating of one or two swaps (sometimes this takes time)
- let 2 swappers wait until the other swaps are done (who hopefully have the patience).
This are 5 not rated active swaps at the same time.
For me it would be enough to have 5 open swaps at the same time.

Other members do a lot mor at the same time.
But i think, 7 swaps are enough.
What do others think?

The limitation of swaps can be problematical, if some swappers decide to not rate.
This is the weak point.
Bastard got my coins- info from post tracking system!
Actions of returning the parcel was started too late...
Every single coin on the world should meet its collector!
Quote: "KasparsLV"​Bastard got my coins- info from post tracking system!
​Actions of returning the parcel was started too late...

thats a pity. From personal experience i am sure the coins were well selected and very carefully chosen out by you. Its similiar as i would prepare a swap:(

to summarize bams777 message to us collectors.

numista is social, downtoearth, we have low management hierachies, blablaba
BUT if there are some issues, you can literaly go f*ck yourself.

and it easier to kill helpfull investigator than bringing the thief to justice who betrayed our trust.

boooooooohhh

Quote: "bam777"​P.s. I'm happy to stop scamming on the site but I can't do that on my own.

​P.p.s. A troll stoking the fires is never helpful...consider this your final warning. I like typing 144 for days banned...so don't push it hamster.

​Don't dangle the dream and take it away....... I for one will be happy to not read his troll nonsense.

That is a very good point about the French forum members who can get this guy done rather than tear his private life apart like angry teenagers. Two wrongs don't make a right.

Everyone affected should get lists ready of the coins he has taken to hand over to the French to handle it in a diplomatic way.
Restoration addict : Verdigris Removal : Zinc White spot removal : Iron Rust Removal : Silver brooch/necklace mount Removal
Totally agree.
Quote: "Fluke"
Quote: "bam777"​P.s. I'm happy to stop scamming on the site but I can't do that on my own.
​​
​​
​​P.p.s. A troll stoking the fires is never helpful...consider this your final warning. I like typing 144 for days banned...so don't push it hamster.

​​Don't dangle the dream and take it away....... I for one will be happy to not read his troll nonsense.

​That is a very good point about the French forum members who can get this guy done rather than tear his private life apart like angry teenagers. Two wrongs don't make a right.

​Everyone affected should get lists ready of the coins he has taken to hand over to the French to handle it in a diplomatic way.
i think there should also be some kind of restriction to this discussion. Something like own at least 20 coins.:°
I'm with you on this one Hamster. I was actually thinking of like "typing 144 for days banned" for myself after all... That is no country for old men.... :|
Gordon Gekko: Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy? It's the free market.
Quote: "Muenzenhamster"
Quote​i think there should also be some kind of restriction to this discussion. Something like own at least 20 coins.:°
​You don't need to own more than 20 coins to be able to spot an a-hole
Quote: "bam777" The fact is people get their pitch forks out and as for posting someone's address and Facebook profile...it's just wrong.

​Flag it up with the police is the right thing to do...none of this vigilante BS.

Nah, forget the pitchforks let's go straight to napalm and make the rest of the creeps life a living hell. It smells like......... victory.

No mercy, no retreat, no surrender.

No bans for the Hamster please, he's on the side of the angels on this one.
Non illegitimis carborundum est.  Excellent advice for all coins.
Make Numismatics Great Again!  
I was not burned by this scam but I feel like I need to express my opinion as a member of this society.
First of all - my sympathy with those members who suffered the loss.
Second - I am unpleasantly surprised by the position the admin of this site. Unless there is something going on besides the public discussion (which I seriously doubt) - don't you guys feel any kind of responsibility for what has happened? Aren't you (administration of this site) in the best position to collect all the complains and kindly ask someone in France to call the police? Because all this angry discussion goes only here, in English speaking part of Numista and as far as I see the French part has no clue on what is doing on. At least the is no single topic or even single word on French Numista about this situation.
And all these sentiments about somebody's "private life torn apart" - let's face it, in the age of the Internet there is no private life. Whatever "private" information you published on your Facebook (or anywhere in Internet) - it's no private any longer, IT'S ALREADY PUBLIC. Bringing it up here is no crime and no privacy violation.
In my opinion, if Numista administration wants to prevent such thing from happening over and over again, the life of such a lowlife dirt bags should be made a leaving hell and it should be done PUBLICLY here on Numista.

You let this case go unpunished - and the whole idea of Numista swaps will be very seriously undermined.
蝸牛そろそろ登れ富士の山
Katatsumuri sorosoro nobore fujinoyama
It isn't what he is doing that's the issue, it is how he is doing it. Making someone's life hell should not be gratifying. Making him cough up what he owes as well as spending a little time in a small concrete room with bars would be better than a facebook spat. Saying you want vigilante justice is expected initially, but it wont solve anything. Its about those involved getting back what was taken and then he gets a reasonable punishment. This information can then be added to Numista with the warning that this will happen to you if you are caught scamming. That's your answer to what Numista can do about it so I don't understand the whole abusive stance towards numista. Its like rebellious teenagers.

Hamster, you seem to be all knowing and mighty. Yet if you check the forums you will see a recent post where I was asking how to reset my coin list so I can start again. Not very bright for a smartass are you ;)
Restoration addict : Verdigris Removal : Zinc White spot removal : Iron Rust Removal : Silver brooch/necklace mount Removal
I've flagged this up to the top. No response as yet.

If if I get no response I will ask members to PM the member's address and contact information.

Then I will ask a member of the French team to file a complaint. All 20 people need to send screen shots to me of what they lost.

(Please contact anyone affected)
Quote: "glykan"​I was not burned by this scam but I feel like I need to express my opinion as a member of this society.
​First of all - my sympathy with those members who suffered the loss.
​Second - I am unpleasantly surprised by the position the admin of this site. Unless there is something going on besides the public discussion (which I seriously doubt) - don't you guys feel any kind of responsibility for what has happened? Aren't you (administration of this site) in the best position to collect all the complains and kindly ask someone in France to call the police? Because all this angry discussion goes only here, in English speaking part of Numista and as far as I see the French part has no clue on what is doing on. At least the is no single topic or even single word on French Numista about this situation.
​And all these sentiments about somebody's "private life torn apart" - let's face it, in the age of the Internet there is no private life. Whatever "private" information you published on your Facebook (or anywhere in Internet) - it's no private any longer, IT'S ALREADY PUBLIC. Bringing it up here is no crime and no privacy violation.
​In my opinion, if Numista administration wants to prevent such thing from happening over and over again, the life of such a lowlife dirt bags should be made a leaving hell and it should be done PUBLICLY here on Numista.

​You let this case go unpunished - and the whole idea of Numista swaps will be very seriously undermined.
​100% agree with you!
I was one of the many that have been stolen by Schtroumpf49's.
1) Until now I don't see any action taken by the Numista Administration.
2) Episodes like this mine the thrust regarding swaps at Numista. From now on I only send my coins AFTER I receive coins. Of course if all of us do the same we don't have no more swaps.

Is possible to create a post to collect information about all swindlers that we find here at Numista?
Eventually in weeks or months this thief will return to start all again. Afetr all he gathered some money in only 2 days of "work" with more than 20 "exchanges".

Regards from Portugal,
Nuno.
Thank you glykan for revealing the blatant lies from our beloved community manager. It was communicated to us there is a big outcry on the French forum and some french members are already taking several actions against him. Seems as this was a lie.

@bam777 must be really a hard task to write the 18 members a pm and asking for the height of damage. I anticipate its in the range of 4000$. It's of course easier to pm the hamster and threaten him in public for trying to help the victims.;(
And deleting the main networking thread from eureka, how to handle this, is surely a great help to the community for solving this case.

@Eureka ask bam777 why your idea wasn't implemented yet. My thread containing all addresses of known scammers was deleted by him last year, just as your thread was.
It's pure derision of victims that he still claims( in the name of numista?) not to cover cheats.
I am not the community manager and it's not my job but Im happy to share via pm his adress, his and his girlfriends facebook, his mobilenumber and google street screenshots from his rotten shed.
So far-

An e-mail from one member with detailed list.

An e-mail from Xavier explaining that someone will have to file a complaint and sue this guy.
Quote: "bam777"​An e-mail from Xavier explaining that someone will have to file a complaint and sue this guy.

​How nice of Xavier! "Someone will have to file a complaint" - what does it mean? Someone who? Deus ex machina (sorry for my Latin)?

I think that Xavier is trying to wash his hands and downplay the case in order to save the reputation of this site. Well, Xavier, I have a bad news for you - this site is getting a reputation of a place where it's simply not save to swap anything that cost more than a couple of dollars.
蝸牛そろそろ登れ富士の山
I think it's pretty incredible if it's true that a thread with a list of names and addresses of known scammers was not allowed on here...
Quote: "glykan"
Quote: "bam777"​​An e-mail from Xavier explaining that someone will have to file a complaint and sue this guy.
​​How nice of Xavier! "Someone will have to file a complaint" - what does it mean? Someone who? Deus ex machina (sorry for my Latin)?

​I think that Xavier is trying to wash his hands and downplay the case in order to save the reputation of this site. Well, Xavier, I have a bad news for you - this site is getting a reputation of a place where it's simply not save to swap anything that cost more than a couple of dollars.
​Don't take me wrong, I've already posted that I wish the scumbag gets appropriately dealt with. But we all agreed to "the rules of the game" when we joined Numista and started swapping. Some rules are written, some are not, and some are just common sense.

Blaming Xavier has some merit I guess but think about this whole situation this way. You're enjoying a cup of good coffee in a small cozy cafe when suddenly another visitor gets up and punches you and a few other patrons in the face! Blood all over perfectly white crisp table cloth, screaming waitresses, some idiot taking video with his phone and getting ready to post it on YouTube... The scumbag was sitting there quietly sipping his own coffee for 20 minutes (read having done 20 5-star swaps) and suddenly jumped up, hit 10 patrons in the face in a matter of seconds and vanished! Are you going to go after (blame) the owner of the cafe? We can argue that maybe additional measures could have been taken to prevent this. But would you ask the owner to deal with the whole thing? I'd say the owner probably should call the police (if nobody else does) but be just the witness on the case. You and others who got punched in the face would have to deal with police and eventually sue the scumbag. Am I wrong?

What I would really have a problem with is if 2 weeks later when victim's face finally heals and he comes back to the same cafe to enjoy his favourite coffee again another scumbag does exactly the same thing. In this case there would be more blame on the owner but would you expect a pat-down search, metal detectors and a security guard at every table in the cafe? Would you ever go to one like this?

This is why I think some measures have to be implemented on Numista. Many options have been presented already and it is just a matter of deciding what suits most of Numista members (yes, a small part of users may be upset with the restrictions) and just implementing it (that may take longer then a day or two for technical reasons).
Quote: "g00n"​I think it's pretty incredible if it's true that a thread with a list of names and addresses of known scammers was not allowed on here...
​Yeah, in my example above I'd expect to see a list of face-punching scumbags posted at the door!

Here are the coins that I have lost in this "swap" with Schtroumpf49's.I sent by Registered Mail with tracking number: RD 6979 2943 8 PT.
Among them 500 Reis D.Carlos year 1899, 2 big 1000$00 coins, a 500$00 all silver coins... a 5$00 UNC Portuguese Timor coin and a few more... 50€ in coins...
Of course live goes on... but the most important is that Schtroumpf49's can be punished in some way, also in order to "avoid" future situations like this.

Regards from Portugal,
Nuno.
smoked_caramel,

In my opinion, Numista administration does next to nothing to prevent such cases. It's not the first case, it happens quite regularly and will continue to deteriorate if no action is taken. Moreover, by downplaying the cases of frauds and silencing those who have suffered the administration actually encourages other scumbags to do it again.
What to do? It's quite clear.
If Numista administration doesn't want to have any responsibility for what is going on between the members, they should put together a properly written Legal Disclaimer on that subject and pin it on the top of "Swaps and Trades" section of the Forum. Preferably in capital letters and with a button "I have read and agreed with the terms" that each member has to press in order to participate in any swaps. Caveat emptor! At least there will be no false sense of security and everybody will know that he/she is on his own.
In case if Numista administration somehow cares about the reputation of the site, serious security measures should be taken, and there is plenty what can be done to make Numista much better and safer place to swap. In my view, one of the ways can be a permanent warning with a list of known cheaters and in a case of any doubt, their real names and addresses should be made available by member request (by PM). Moreover, the reports of all frauds together with the measures taken by administration and - even more important - results of such actions should be also easily visible on the site. Something like a head of the criminal on the end of the spear at the city gates...
蝸牛そろそろ登れ富士の山
Quote: "g00n"​I think it's pretty incredible if it's true that a thread with a list of names and addresses of known scammers was not allowed on here...
​I am shocked you didn't know that?

Next to the thread-delete I got a warning for initiating a thread like that. "strictly forbidden under numista-law" and similiar b*llshit excuses. Since then I stopped swapping here as its easy to notice upon my swap ratings.

But bam777 can characterise it to us idiots surely better why such a thread is not allowed and in no way helps against scamming.
glykan, I agree with you.

What I don't like is finger pointing, blaming and throwing crap at people that don't deserve it. Let's all work together at finding the most optimal solution that will satisfy most people (and laws).
A public thread with addresses is not the right answer and never will be.

Scammer or not, all it does it give the addresses of people who collect coins for burglars to target.

Personally, nobody here will have my collections address as I don't want people to know where my collection physically is. I'll use a different address or two for swaps. That's not because I'm a scammer, it's because I'm cautious. What happens if one of your swaps goes south for whatever reason and your address ends up on the scam thread. What happens if a burglar ends up clubbing your girlfriend over the head whilst ransacking the place?
Quote: "oggy"​A public thread with addresses is not the right answer and never will be.

​Scammer or not, all it does it give the addresses of people who collect coins for burglars to target.

​Personally, nobody here will have my collections address as I don't want people to know where my collection physically is. I'll use a different address or two for swaps. That's not because I'm a scammer, it's because I'm cautious. What happens if one of your swaps goes south for whatever reason and your address ends up on the scam thread. What happens if a burglar ends up clubbing your girlfriend over the head whilst ransacking the place?

a good objection off yours but apparently not even a list only containing the cityname ​and the first letter of the sirname is allowed. Off course its surely not done to help the scammers.

;)
For your information: I was one of the first people to set up a blacklist site and proposed the blacklist based on research and swaps that went South on Numista. I compiled many addresses from Numista users but it is against French law apparently to do this so Xavier asked me not to go ahead with it.

The he main issue here is that some people have lost money...to get it back they need to make a complaint to the police which can be done by calling or dropping into a French police station.

If if he has swapped with any French members then he can be brought to justice.
How about registering numistaswindlers.com in bananaistan?
Oggy and Smoked are bang on. I gave a similar response somewhere that even though this is a very bad thing to happen, you can't point the finger right at numista. Regarding legal proceedings, it is early days and biting off one comment by bam about Xavier and then damning the whole proceedings because of it is ludicrous. It will take a little while to build up the case and get the wheels in motion.

Too many are super fast to judge and seem to think if they haven't read something additional, then it doesn't exist. If I had legal proceedings to attend to, I am sure as hell not going to post it out for anyone to read. I would share the basics and that is all.

Everyone comes back to Numista day after day because of its services. So why can't you get behind and support Numista and its community? You do not pay for any of the services provided here so you have no rights at all to say what the owners should have to do or criticise how they handle affairs.

Come in my house and disrespect me, you get your ass thrown straight back out. That is no different here and why Hamster should be thrown out.
Why is everyone jumping on the organisers for this? If you organise an exchange on craigslist and it turns out bad, do you take your frustrations out on Craigslist organisers? If you buy something on E-bay and things turn out bad do you rant at E-bay? If you buy a car off some guy at the pub and it turns out to be a clanger do you yell at the pub owner for providing an environment where scammers can take advanage? Of course not, so why take your frustrations out on Numista? They are just providing a site where people can meet and exchange, if things go bad then it's up to you to lay a complaint, not the organisers of the site.
Very good actions from the 20 cheat honest members of Numista.Before some days had the same problem with member from other country.Maybe vanished or have health problems and not response.But this is another story. My lost is 15euros,but this is not problem.The point of view is that i feel like you ,cheated.The problem for me is in occasion when the other <member> laughing with my trust that i gave to him.I can tell you from yours reaction what happened to swindler and i am very happy that saw all the post before deleted,because i wanted to did the same thing.The laugh from ex-member with good feedback convert to fear.This feeling believe me worth the money that you lost,keep going.After cold sweat with icy fingers post PM or telephone and told that thing that happen in the forum is illegal.And the truth is that thing is illegal ,personal data as you see.The police cannot do anything. En Numista administrations cannot do anything.Only the good mood of the 2 sides.The solution is only 1 and for my opinion is revolutionary and only with that method we would been with no worry for our swaps.Even for a swindler or even a member have a serious health problem and cannot conclude the swap. The truth is that after these i am very anxious about my swaps.Lets start:Every member post 1euro (very little cost) for one and only time which that means 55687euros .A lot of money for have absolute secure to our swaps.If something goes wrong we have compensatory damages.All we be happy for the swindler (i will not care if he laugh or happened something to him)-the cheat honest member-and administrations of the site.I have an integrated plan and if a member of Numista team want details i can help.The subject is very big and if not have interesting i do not want to tolerate you.Always exist a method to avoid the wolves tells a story in my country. Regards.
Alright, here's an idea I'm just tossing out there. Perhaps one way to avoid these people going rogue, building up a whole lot of low level swaps then "cashing in" by setting up a whole lot of big swaps and going AWOL would be for both swapping partners to agree on a monetary value of what their swaps are worth, this dollar value is displayed alongside the feedback of the swap. That way, if you see a member has completed 15 swaps and they are all for $5-$10 value, then they try to set up a swap for $300 worth of coins, you can get an idea that it may not be legit.

How does that sound?
Bad idea. Its easy for me to create 5 users and fake swaps and rate myself.
Quote: "neilithic"​Alright, here's an idea I'm just tossing out there. Perhaps one way to avoid these people going rogue, building up a whole lot of low level swaps then "cashing in" by setting up a whole lot of big swaps and going AWOL would be for both swapping partners to agree on a monetary value of what their swaps are worth, this dollar value is displayed alongside the feedback of the swap. That way, if you see a member has completed 15 swaps and they are all for $5-$10 value, then they try to set up a swap for $300 worth of coins, you can get an idea that it may not be legit.

​How does that sound?
​Good thinking Neil. I like it in principal. I don't think though that everyone would be fine with displaying this value. I'd propose something similar but different.

First, lets use "t-shirt sizes" instead of dollar value. One reason is that there is lots of different dollars in the world and for those who use dollars other then US dollars it may be challenging to convert - not mathematically obviously, but in our minds. This category includes both you and me, actually. ;) So, I'd stick to S (small), M (medium), L (large), XL (extra large), XXL (super large). S would be anything roughly under $20 worth, M - under $50, L - under $100, XL - under $200, XXL - anything above $200. Still US dollars, but with ranges there is less chance for a confusion.

Second, I don't think there is a need for both swap partners to agree on this valuation. They both can "value" the swap differently. But, and this may help even more, both valuations should be visible. If someone constantly "disagrees" with his/her swap partner that may be another sigh of something suspicious.
Quote: "Muenzenhamster"​Bad idea. Its easy for me to create 5 users and fake swaps and rate myself.
​You can use that reasoning to talk down any proposed changes to aid security.
Sorry guys, but I'm completely lost here. To me there's only one problem with this site - there's some bum (777 or whoever) who decides whether permanently delete our posts to this forum or not.. Xavier (don't know who he is, but he's done a hell of a job to bring us together) made this site for us, computer illiterate donkeys. It's our choice how we use it. We can send our coins to some nice people we know, or we can send 500 Euro worth coins to someone we don't know.... It's our choice.
Gordon Gekko: Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy? It's the free market.
Quote: "smoked_caramel"​​Good thinking Neil. I like it in principal. I don't think though that everyone would be fine with displaying this value. I'd propose something similar but different.

​First, lets use "t-shirt sizes" instead of dollar value. One reason is that there is lots of different dollars in the world and for those who use dollars other then US dollars it may be challenging to convert - not mathematically obviously, but in our minds. This category includes both you and me, actually. ;) So, I'd stick to S (small), M (medium), L (large), XL (extra large), XXL (super large). S would be anything roughly under $20 worth, M - under $50, L - under $100, XL - under $200, XXL - anything above $200. Still US dollars, but with ranges there is less chance for a confusion.

​Second, I don't think there is a need for both swap partners to agree on this valuation. They both can "value" the swap differently. But, and this may help even more, both valuations should be visible. If someone constantly "disagrees" with his/her swap partner that may be another sigh of something suspicious.

​I like that idea, then you can have a tick-box/drop down box for entering the value of a swap and it's nice and easy to display the results. So if someone has 10 "S" trades and then suddenly decides to try on an "XXL" T-shirt then some alarm bells should start ringing.
Quote: "Donkey"​To me there's only one problem with this site - there's some bum (777 or whoever) who decides whether permanently delete our posts to this forum or not..
​Don't shoot the middle-man. Bam777 is just an independent arbitrator and is acting according to the directions stated by the site owner (Xavier). Site rules clearly state what can and cannot be posted on the forum, plain and simple. These are the rules bam777 is working with.
Quote: "Donkey"​Xavier (don't know who he is, but he's done a hell of a job to bring us together) made this site for us, computer illiterate donkeys.
Computer illiterate donkeys? Speak for yourself my dear BC countryman! ;) I work with computers every day for almost 30 years now.
Quote: "Donkey"It's our choice how we use it. We can send our coins to some nice people we know, or we can send 500 Euro worth coins to someone we don't know.... It's our choice.
Yeap, agree.
Quote: "neilithic"​So if someone has 10 "S" trades and then suddenly decides to try on an "XXL" T-shirt then some alarm bells should start ringing.
Exactly! B) And this can obviously only be done when rating a swap.
Quote: "smoked_caramel"
Quote: "neilithic"​Alright, here's an idea I'm just tossing out there. Perhaps one way to avoid these people going rogue, building up a whole lot of low level swaps then "cashing in" by setting up a whole lot of big swaps and going AWOL would be for both swapping partners to agree on a monetary value of what their swaps are worth, this dollar value is displayed alongside the feedback of the swap. That way, if you see a member has completed 15 swaps and they are all for $5-$10 value, then they try to set up a swap for $300 worth of coins, you can get an idea that it may not be legit.
​​
​​How does that sound?
​​Good thinking Neil. I like it in principal. I don't think though that everyone would be fine with displaying this value. I'd propose something similar but different.

​First, lets use "t-shirt sizes" instead of dollar value. One reason is that there is lots of different dollars in the world and for those who use dollars other then US dollars it may be challenging to convert - not mathematically obviously, but in our minds. This category includes both you and me, actually. ;) So, I'd stick to S (small), M (medium), L (large), XL (extra large), XXL (super large). S would be anything roughly under $20 worth, M - under $50, L - under $100, XL - under $200, XXL - anything above $200. Still US dollars, but with ranges there is less chance for a confusion.

​Second, I don't think there is a need for both swap partners to agree on this valuation. They both can "value" the swap differently. But, and this may help even more, both valuations should be visible. If someone constantly "disagrees" with his/her swap partner that may be another sigh of something suspicious.
​We could do it ourselves when we rate a swap. It would only work for people that read the forum but it would be a start.
Numista referee for British Antarctic Territory, British Indian Ocean Territory, United States, Fiji, Cook Islands, Philippines, Vanuatu
No, I think it's something that needs to be officially adopted for it to work. It needs to be compulsory to enter the swap amount before completing a swap or it will not work.
Quote: "neilithic"​No, I think it's something that needs to be officially adopted for it to work. It needs to be compulsory to enter the swap amount before completing a swap or it will not work.
​I am so against making such a thing compulsory! I may, believe it not, think that my swap is NOBODY'S business, except for my swap partner.

If somebody think that they want to let other members know they are making a $300 swap, then just make a forum post " I am making a $300 swap with such-and-such member." There can be a special topic in the "Swaps and trades" Forum. This way, if anybody else is in the discussion with the aforementioned "such-and-such member," he/she would know that something is going on.

Sincerely yours,
chaosharvard
Surely the first step would be limiting number of active swaps, or at least notifying a member how many active swaps his partner has on.
My prediction: There will be a lot of blablablbla,a lot of ideas but in the end nothing will change. No disclaimer, no countermeasures, zero, nothing.

simply face it, scammers are protected here and hide behind obscure laws. Not without a reason the same old scam-pattern was sucessful several times now.
That community managers are threatening those who investigate is another evidence for me that such cheater-behaviour and scumbagbetraying are enjoyfully covered by the 'management'.

yes i also agree with chaoshavard. the value of my swap are nobodys business.

Btw. is there a reason seemingly why only french victims can bring schtroumph94 to courts? How convienient that the majority of victims are not from france. So effecticely the damage is 100 euros and not wortb the trouble or did i misunderstand the advice from bam777?8)
Here are two proposals I made earlier this year. Had they been implemented at least 18 of the 20 victims would have been spared and our burger flipping problem child would be permanently prevented from returning.

https://en.numista.com/forum/topic46162.html

https://en.numista.com/forum/topic47180.html

It's time to put some concrete measures in place as the thieves in our midst are bringing a lot of discord over and above the awful feeling for the victims. Please gentlemen, keep it civil, let's not get sidetracked by fighting each other.

I really fear that one day Dear Leader will simply decide it's too much of a headache and remove the swap engine and forum to concentrate purely on the database.
Quote: "Muenzenhamster"​My prediction: There will be a lot of blablablbla,a lot of ideas but in the end nothing will change. No disclaimer, no countermeasures, zero, nothing.

​simply face it, scammers are protected here and hide behind obscure laws. Not without a reason the same old scam-pattern was sucessful several times now.
​That community managers are threatening those who investigate is another evidence for me that such cheater-behaviour and scumbagbetraying are enjoyfully covered by the 'management'.

​And do you know why nothing will be done? Because every time a member suggests something to help, they are shouted down by OTHER MEMBERS. Not the management, other members.

It has been suggested that people have to register their address to be able to swap. The response? Hell no That's an invasion of my privacy, I'm not going to do that!

I suggested that you have free access to the catalogues and forums but have to register and pay a small fee for "premium membership" to be able to swap. Pay like $2.50 to cover the cost of a letter. Send you address to a swap administrator along with the payment, the admin send out a confirmation code to that address and then you enter that code to get your swap activated. The response? Hell no! I'm not going to pay in order to be able to swap! This is a free site, it's the principle of the thing.

I suggested just one hour ago in this thread that we come up with a rating system so people can see if someone is setting themselves up to scam. The response? Hell no, my swaps are nobody's business but mine and my swapping partners.

How the hell is the management supposed to protect us from scammers when every measure that is suggested to improve it is shouted down....and may I suggest that the loudest voice shouting down the ideas is also the one that complains the most about the management not doing anything to protect us from scammers.
As you maybe have noticed i am only against changes which are soley based on swapratings. They are too easy to be forged.

I like the idea like proposed of pnightinggale that the swapadress is only revealesd when both confirm the swap but for this more securirlty is needed. Something like https ect.
I fully understand if some users only share it via email. We dont know how are collectiondata is secured on this site and my wish of change to be able to delete the bswaphistory was ignored until now.

the premiummembership for 2$ for verifying is also good. Until now there was only 1 guy really against it. He may search for an other site to swap then if he is against security-changes or cant accept it.
That's the thing - when I first came across this site, I would probably never have signed up if there was a registration fee required for swapping. Now - I'd cough up the $2 in a heartbeat.
Quote: "Muenzenhamster"​As you maybe have noticed i am only against changes which are soley based on swapratings. They are too easy to be forged.

​I like the idea like proposed of pnightinggale that the swapadress is only revealesd when both confirm the swap but for this more securirlty is needed. Something like https ect.
​I fully understand if some users only share it via email. We dont know how are collectiondata is secured on this site and my wish of change to be able to delete the bswaphistory was ignored until now.

​the premiummembership for 2$ for verifying is also good. Until now there was only 1 guy really against it. He may search for an other site to swap then if he is against security-changes or cant accept it.

​I think that there could be two levels of swaps, confirmed-registered members: we pay a fee share information,etc etc. and only registered members will swap with registered members, new commers have to complete certain requirements (I am not going to mention which as there are several good proposals) and thats it. As a registered member I can swap with all the good guys and also I could swap with unregistered members at my own risk. not 100% secured but adds an extra layer.
JustforFun...
Quote: "Muenzenhamster"​My prediction: There will be a lot of blablablbla,a lot of ideas but in the end nothing will change. No disclaimer, no countermeasures, zero, nothing.

This is why you need to be ejected for the crap you are spouting. When you join numista, there are plenty of disclaimers written into the terms of service. It is clearly stated choices made by the members are their own responsibility if they use Numista services. Not just swaps specifically...ALL of it.

https://en.numista.com/conditions.php

You are nothing but a troll stirring up BS when you have no facts backing your ridiculous accusations.

As Neil has pointed out, all suggestions get shot down before they are even discussed in detail. When it all goes pear shaped, its the management that gets it in the neck? No wonder they completely blank content like what is written in these ranting threads.

If all security details as well as actions being taken were made public it wouldn't be secure.

Finally on your security lack of knowledge. Do you even know what Https is? This forum is php based, this means a certificate would need to be purchased as well as a staggering amount of work needed to be added to every single page to make sure none of it can be handled via the previous http method.
Is there any hope this rogue to be tried?If convicted he will return our stolen coins?
These are the questions that excite us most.
Here is another idea, and I know it would need to be thought out, but here is the idea.

We could add this as an option, not everyone would swap this way. What if each member agreed on the value of a swap, lets say $100- €100 or whatever. Both members put $100 into an mediator account, if one member screws 20 people, they all get their money back, and so no problem. If a package does go missing which will happen then it would not necessarily work out this way, communication is key. Obviously no scammer would sign up for this, so no more scammers at this level! :wiz:

Also see the idea in the other post by ArnoV. Its a good idea
Taking a break from swapping for a while, but still interested in pre 1799 Spanish coins, I will make time for that!

Looking for pre 1783 coins
Quote: "Fluke"

​This is why you need to be ejected for the crap you are spouting. When you join numista, there are plenty of disclaimers written into the terms of service. It is clearly stated choices made by the members are their own responsibility if they use Numista services. Not just swaps specifically...ALL of it.

https://en.numista.com/conditions.php

​You are nothing but a troll stirring up BS when you have no facts backing your ridiculous accusations.

​As Neil has pointed out, all suggestions get shot down before they are even discussed in detail. When it all goes pear shaped, its the management that gets it in the neck? No wonder they completely blank content like what is written in these ranting threads.

​If all security details as well as actions being taken were made public it wouldn't be secure.

​Finally on your security lack of knowledge. Do you even know what Https is? This forum is php based, this means a certificate would need to be purchased as well as a staggering amount of work needed to be added to every single page to make sure none of it can be handled via the previous http method.
​​
Eitan, GabeGT, Schtroumph49, Fluke.... Your name fits perfectly ​into that row of numista-scumbags. By talking down https you are clearly eager to cheat on some collectors trying to snatch their collection. ;(
Have we got a evidence that you even own a coin worth to be scammed of in the first place?
QuoteMuenzenhamster​
​this is troll crap and it completely obscures my comment above looking for a solution.
Taking a break from swapping for a while, but still interested in pre 1799 Spanish coins, I will make time for that!

Looking for pre 1783 coins
1. I just find out why Hamster was banned before, and I do not know where bam's patience lies, but it must be some really high place...

2. As Bam already said, he cannot Flag somebody when no one will call for such measure.

3. Responsibility on WHO we swap with, lies on ourselves. No one else is responsible for us sending the coins to somebody we do not know. No idea why administration team would be responsible for that. I am sorry for all who lost their coins and money, but blaming somebody else than yourself is hypocrisy. You could as well swap with somebody using just email. Numista reference system ensures at least some information on the person you swap with.
Still however...

4. Xavier could implement some measure to protect honest members. See Phil's threads - just plain experience and no childish shouting.
Catalogue administrator, You can support my dream of becoming full time worker on Numista through Patreon if you wish: https://www.patreon.com/Jarcek
Quote: "redsmithstudios"
QuoteMuenzenhamster​
​​
​​this is troll crap and it completely obscures my comment above looking for a solution.
Like you ​i find the idea from ArnoV good.

But i dont think its going to be implemented.
I would like to take the time to point out that the scammers are in a very small minority, if you look on the home page there is a stat there "Exchanges - 3084 ratings for the last 30 days" That's more than 100 swaps per day being completed, the occasional scammer is going to show up no matter how many security features you have in place, but we can avoid getting scammed if we play things a little more cautiously.

Get to know people of the forums, the chance is that people who are active on the forums are less likely to be out solely to pick up some free coins.

Build up a relationship with a swap partner. No matter what their reputation is, don't jump into a $400 exchange straight away, start small and build up to bigger swaps one mutual trust has been established.

If you're more careful with selecting your swapping partners then we will see less incidents of these scammers walking away with hundreds or thousands of dollars worth of coins.
​Eitan, GabeGT, Schtroumph49, Fluke.... Your name fits perfectly ​into that row of numista-scumbags. By talking down https you are clearly eager to cheat on some collectors trying to snatch their collection. ;(
​Have we got a evidence that you even own a coin worth to be scammed of in the first place?

You are so deranged it is laughable. I am not talking it down in the slightest, I am educating you on what HTTPS is as you clearly have no idea what it would take to implement it. Literally the entire site content would need to be changed, every single page. Would you be willing to pay for it all? or are you just a loud mouth who has the intelligence of a spoon? I think the latter because HTTPS would only secure the sites content, it will NOT protect you from scammers.

Very nice how you are calling me a scammer just from my name, shows what kind of troll you are. I do not swap with anyone, I do not like it. So I would love to know how you come to the conclusion I am going to scam someone.

Even though I do not need to prove myself to a troll like you, this is a small part of what I own including one shot against the screen before you say they are from "google images". Just because my coin list is empty here, does not mean I do not own any coins. I do not like the idea of adding them all to the site regardless of what you or anyone else thinks.

You really are a troll and not a good personality to have on this site.
Just a brief word about Fluke in case anyone is taking this seriously.

Last year he sent me a few English crowns for a pet project of mine. Along with those came a whole lot of unexpected UK coppers many of which had a quite decent value. In return he has asked for nothing although many months later we are still looking for possibilities. I guess in the long run it will even out but until that time we are content to wait for the right opportunity.

Now, does this sound like a scammer to you? Nah, me neither.
Thanks Phil.

Knowing they were appreciated is enough for me, I am not the type who needs something in return always. (How is the project coming along?)

Some of the people here who have been kind enough to give away coins is just how I am. It is more likely I would be a victim than a scammer.
Where is the proof that u didnt take photos from the internet and edited them with photoshop and microsoft paint ? After all you are not stingy to boast around your huge knowledge of computers-stuff on Numista.8~

Furthermore i find it really suspicious after reading your statements containing "i am not keyboarding my collection" on numista and "i am not swapping at all, i hate that idea", you are one of the loudest persons to talk down real security improvements like HTTPS. Its somehow weird and make me think you just want to cause trouble to us honest and peaceful users who are trying to find a solution.
Are you trolling like that on purpose, or is it natural? Have you even been on this site and seen what Fluke is doing? I guess not.
Catalogue administrator, You can support my dream of becoming full time worker on Numista through Patreon if you wish: https://www.patreon.com/Jarcek
Quote: "Jarcek"​Are you trolling like that on purpose, or is it natural? Have you even been on this site and seen what Fluke is doing? I guess not.
​??

I am just outlining his statements and mixing them up with my own observations.
Mixing them up...you hit the nail on the head for once.
Seriously, ban this Muenzenhamster from the forum again. Not only are the allegations towards Fluke both disrespectful and ridiculous, they obscure a meaningful discussion about what measures need to be taken.
I agree with Hamletmachine.
HTTPS is not going to improve anything with regards to Numista features security. All it basically does is encryption of data sent between a client (your browser) and server (Numista hosting). If anyone would sniff this channel while it is not secured by HTTPS they would get to "see" in open form what is sent between these two parties - anything starting with your Numista user ID and password, these very messages we type on the forum, swap messages, etc.

With regards to implementing it on Numista, if the site is programmed properly (I believe it is based on some professional observations) it is not going to involve changes to every page, it should be merely a switch in one place.

@Hamster, please stop your trolling! IMHO you're stretching admin's patience beyond limits.
HTTPS was tried, and it slowed the site a LOT... so it was taken back in matter of hours. (probably not many members noticed) I do not know current state of things, that is of course question for Xavier only.
Yeah, the site was functioning terribly for the short period of time where https was enabled. Can understand why it was removed again so quickly.
Yeah, HTTPS was tried. I personally can't comment as to why it made the site as slow as it was. Based on my knowledge, it was quite surprising. But I don't know much about Numista's internals so can't really provide any advice. I hope one day Xavier will be able to figure it out and bring it back.
Quote: "Hamletmaschine"​Seriously, ban this Muenzenhamster from the forum again. Not only are the allegations towards Fluke both disrespectful and ridiculous, they obscure a meaningful discussion about what measures need to be taken.
i like to remind that it was the hamster who investigated this case and leaked the data to the victims trying to help. Otherwise again the scammer would go away laughing covered by the usual sheep(hamletmachine etc.)who are very fast blaming the wrong persons because its en vogue to bleat with the crowd.

And the allegations against some members are my serious concern. Eitan who was even a some kind of Administrator on Numista ripped off a lot of collectors. He is still in the numistateam though. So i cannot thrust anyone because false games are played and seemingly no measurements are taken.

Fluke admitted on his own that he doesnt use numista properly. So serious concerns about his motivations are allowed to be raised.

Eitan is NOT in the team for a long time already...
Ok my bad, he seemingly has been stripped of his powers.
Quote: "Muenzenhamster"​Where is the proof that u didnt take photos from the internet and edited them with photoshop and microsoft paint ? After all you are not stingy to boast around your huge knowledge of computers-stuff on Numista.8~

​Furthermore i find it really suspicious after reading your statements containing "i am not keyboarding my collection" on numista and "i am not swapping at all, i hate that idea", you are one of the loudest persons to talk down real security improvements like HTTPS. Its somehow weird and make me think you just want to cause trouble to us honest and peaceful users who are trying to find a solution.

​Can someone boot this troll off the forums, he obviously has learned nothing from his previous stint on the sidelines.

Fluke is 100% genuine. Just after he joined he sent me some nice UK silver coins without my asking just as a thank you for some advise I gave him when he was setting up. That's not the kind of guy you need to be suspicious of. And to describe yourself as "peaceful" is the biggest laugh I have had in a long time.

I also think the criticism is a bit rich coming from a guy who has no coins entered in the catalogue except for swaps, and has a grand total of just 4 swap ratings, the last one being a year and a half ago.
Quote: "smoked_caramel"​Yeah, HTTPS was tried. I personally can't comment as to why it made the site as slow as it was. Based on my knowledge, it was quite surprising. But I don't know much about Numista's internals so can't really provide any advice. I hope one day Xavier will be able to figure it out and bring it back.
good to know, yes hopefully maybe the issues are solved one day and we get https. It feels securer to know no scammer can read out your passwords.​
Quote: "neilithic"
Quote: "Muenzenhamster"​Where is the proof that u didnt take photos from the internet and edited them with photoshop and microsoft paint ? After all you are not stingy to boast around your huge knowledge of computers-stuff on Numista.8~
​​
​​Furthermore i find it really suspicious after reading your statements containing "i am not keyboarding my collection" on numista and "i am not swapping at all, i hate that idea", you are one of the loudest persons to talk down real security improvements like HTTPS. Its somehow weird and make me think you just want to cause trouble to us honest and peaceful users who are trying to find a solution.
​​
​​

​​Can someone boot this troll off the forums, he obviously has learned nothing from his previous stint on the sidelines.

​Fluke is 100% genuine. Just after he joined he sent me some nice UK silver coins without my asking just as a thank you for some advise I gave him when he was setting up. That's not the kind of guy you need to be suspicious of. And to describe yourself as "peaceful" is the biggest laugh I have had in a long time.

​I also think the criticism is a bit rich coming from a guy who has no coins entered in the catalogue except for swaps, and has a grand total of just 4 swap ratings, the last one being a year and a half ago.
collection unlocked.
my swaps are turned off since the first grab and run issues turned up here.​
We had https protocols for a short time after the last update. How far it was implemented I don't know but then many people complained about long loading times fot every action made on Numista.
​i like to remind that it was the hamster who investigated this case and leaked the data to the victims trying to help. Otherwise again the scammer would go away laughing covered by the usual sheep(hamletmachine etc.)who are very fast blaming the wrong persons because its en vogue to bleat with the crowd.

​And the allegations against some members are my serious concern. Eitan who was even a some kind of Administrator on Numista ripped off a lot of collectors. He is still in the numistateam though. So i cannot thrust anyone because false games are played and seemingly no measurements are taken.

​Fluke admitted on his own that he doesnt use numista properly. So serious concerns about his motivations are allowed to be raised.
​​​
Thanks for calling me a sheep. That will certainly strengthen my will to listen to any points you actually might try to make.

Also, I didn't realise there was a certain way to use Numista properly. Pray tell, what is the God-Given Hamster Way of Using Numista Properly?
You called me a troll first so its your own fault.
using numista properly= adding your coins to the database
Today 04 April 2016 I took a look to Schtroumpf49's profile and I must admit that he worked well is plan :)
Together we are more than 30 members that have been stolen by this no longer member!
Is this a Guiness Record at Numista? Does any member remember a previous thief that have stolen more?
If we can do anything about this situation can we keep a ranking?
Is Schtroumpf49's the gold medal? Silver he received a lot from us :)

Regards from Portugal,
Nuno.
Quote: Muenzenhamster​You called me a troll first so its your own fault.
​Did I, now? I think you need to read my post again. The sad thing is that this little conversation further obscures the more important discussion, so I will shut up now and let the admins decide.
This is starting going very absurd. Anyone can choose how to use Numista for himself - even if he/she was just using the calendar. Or Numisdoc.

PS: Hamlet did not called you a troll. I did, and few others did.

I seriously think that this thread should be locked.
Ok, now you have gone just pathetic. You wont accept pictures taken in front of the screen, but you will accept coins logged on numista in text? well that makes sense :.

Your account is hardly "glowing" either is it. "hello pot, meet kettle" 8)

I know I do not need to defend myself, especially with you. It is nothing more than a blatant attack on someone you don't know with absolutely nothing to back it up. I actually pity you for taking such a gutter route.

I really hope you do get removed asap, not just because you have insulted me, but because you are stirring up trouble everywhere you make yourself a part of.

Someone needs to put you back on the naughty step.
Quote: "Muenzenhamster"​You called me a troll first so its your own fault.
​using numista properly= adding your coins to the database
So Numista isn't a community for like minded people to engage in Numismatic discussions? you simply HAVE to enter your coins into their database?

I also agree this topic should be locked, trolls don't stop no matter what is put. Does he even need any more warnings before he is banned?...I mean plz....
Ok yes i read it again. No trolls mentioned. Sorry.

@eureka you could order 4 pizzas from a telephonebooth to his house on a regular basis as a thank you.X-D
Quote: "Muenzenhamster"​You called me a troll first so its your own fault.
​using numista properly= adding your coins to the database

​What bull, you can use the site however you want. For the first 6 months I was a member I didn't enter any coins, I used it solely to look up coin information so I could enter the KM numbers and mintage numbers on my flips. Then the next 6 months I still didn't enter any coins but started using the forums to chat to other collectors since there are no clubs in my area. It wasn't until a year into my membership that I started entering coins and swapping. There's no written rules that when you join you need to catalogue your entire collection, in fact I'll bet there are numerous senior members that do not have their entire collection entered into Numista.
Yaya bash the hamster who helped while the cheater goes unpunished.

what a pathetic display

at least the actual victims are thankful for my work as several pm prove to me.
I promise when i go to France i will visit this adress.

this is was what i lost but He will pay hard.
The tracking Number He gave to me was send to belgium ..
Good Collecting
F.C. Porto
Quote: "Muenzenhamster"​Yaya bash the hamster who helped while the cheater goes unpunished.

​what a pathetic display

​at least the actual victims are thankful for my work as several pm prove to me.

​Yeah, Sherlock, pat yourself on the back! True Detective! Me! Me! Me! Nobody but Me! - What a pathetic display! :x

P.S. Admins, please feel free to remove this post together with the rest of this Bull, err, scratch that, Hamster $hit.
Yes peculiar that most people from the 'digital mob' who are now simulating outrage in this thread did not do something helpful for the cheated victims or did I miss something? 5 days are passed and not even the damage can be recited by the 'concerned members'. Just plain ridiculous for some readers not involved.
:~

"Please don't share his Facebook, please don't share his telephone number, forwarding his adress and employer is a crime, he is a poor victim, he is maybe under 18" and similiar BS.

Which complaint will have more chances in front of court? One against Mr. Unknown or one which in every detail is added?
Quote: "Muenzenhamster"​Yes peculiar that most people from the 'digital mob' who are now simulating outrage in this thread did not do something helpful for the cheated victims or did I miss something?
:~

​"Please don't share his Facebook, please don't share his telephone number, forwarding his adress and employer is a crime, he is a poor victim, he maybe under 18" and similiar BS.

​Which complaint will have more chances in front of court? One against Mr. Unknown or one which in every detail is added?

My bad, I didn't realise this was a courtroom and all our privileged data access and investigative experience give the police access to vital data that they would otherwise be unable to get.

I further didn't realise that the police in France don't have access to google yet.

And I didn't know that contacting his employer was not a crime, even if we had the wrong person :O

In other news, I saw some pink elephants flying around my city today.
So if you are that smart, how much was now the actual damage done by that fraudster?<:D
Quote: "Muenzenhamster"THATS BECAUSE NUMISTA PROTECTS FRAUDSTERS AND CHEATS!!!!

​Measurements taken: Zero

​Same story as usual.:Zz:
​Now you asking everybody to be constructive? To do Police's work? To investigate? To judge? To share his adress - if we started this, members would almost instantly started sharing adresses and propagate hatred. How would you like, if somebody shared your adress, stated that you stole something, and asked members to deal with you, kill your cat or dog or damage your property. (There are so much creative ways :°)
38 day ban

» Top of the page

Used time zone is UTC+2:00.
Current time is 05:35PM.