A nice idea for coin holders storage

13 posts

» Quick access to the last post

This is a tea box which I buy today in order to store 2x2 coin holders. I think this is a good idea considering its low price.

Numista referee for Crete, Greece and Ionian Islands
I like it. I would just be careful, fresh wood and glue can outgas substances, which might damage coins.
Thanks Steve27, what do you suggest?
You could use self-adhesive holders then possible gases shouldn't be a problem also you won't have to worry about scratches from the staples if you store them so tightly.
Quote: "MariaK"​Thanks Steve27, what do you suggest?
​I would leave it open in a low humidity high airflow spot for a month before using it for coins. Also check to see if it is giving off any odor (that would be an indication of outgassing). Once you start using it for coins, check them often.
Very nice. I have a similar from cigars of Cuba that had gave me friends for a gift. It is ideal, a wooden box absorb humidity. I use it for years with no problem. Of course depends and the climate of your area. Now that I see yours I will look forward to buy one. As my collection step up. Also and the plastic coin holders are not bad if you want to have a direct access to your collection.
I've got dozens of really nice cigar boxes which are perfect for storage of the coins which I'm intending to swap. We live in Tampa Bay which is known locally as Cigar City because of the traditional small scale cigar manufacturing in the Cuban district of Ybor. You can pick them up (empty) at local fleamarkets for around $1 each. They come in any shape and size you can imagine and the quality ranges from shoddy wood or cardboard right up to beautiful varnished hardwood with solid brass hinges and clasps. Some of the better ones are breathtakingly beautiful and some folks actually collect them.

I use the better quality ones to store coins by region and divide them further by putting each country into a separate plastic bag with a label on it. I use the larger ones to store my coin flips, slabbed coins, junk silver, wheaties, pre 1982 coppers, plastic bags and spare album pages etc. etc. You name it, I've got a cigar box to fit it!

I buy them whenever I see them for a decent price so I'm never at a loss for storage for my coins and stamps. I've often thought of picking up a few extra for my dear fellow collectors but I reckon the cost of shipping would make it impractical.

Recently I've found a couple of old wooden cases formerly used to hold photographic slides. These are very sturdily made from long seasoned wood and have slots which are just the right size to hold 120 coins in 2x2 flips. I use these for my premium coins which I intend to sell or swap. It's very easy to put my hands on exactly the coin I'm looking for in a matter of seconds. Any coin worth more than $20 goes in these and they can be stacked neatly so they don't take up an undue amount of space in my safe. I'd like to get a hold of a few more of these so I'm constantly on the lookout during my many fleamarket trips. Unfortunately they are very hard to find - when did you last see anyone using slides and a projector in this age of digital photography?
Non illegitimis carborundum est.  Excellent advice for all coins.
Make Numismatics Great Again!  
Quote: "pnightingale"​I've got dozens of really nice cigar boxes which are perfect for storage of the coins which I'm intending to swap. We live in Tampa Bay which is known locally as Cigar City because of the traditional small scale cigar manufacturing in the Cuban district of Ybor. You can pick them up (empty) at local fleamarkets for around $1 each. They come in any shape and size you can imagine and the quality ranges from shoddy wood or cardboard right up to beautiful varnished hardwood with solid brass hinges and clasps. Some of the better ones are breathtakingly beautiful and some folks actually collect them.

​I use the better quality ones to store coins by region and divide them further by putting each country into a separate plastic bag with a label on it. I use the larger ones to store my coin flips, slabbed coins, junk silver, wheaties, pre 1982 coppers, plastic bags and spare album pages etc. etc. You name it, I've got a cigar box to fit it!

​I buy them whenever I see them for a decent price so I'm never at a loss for storage for my coins and stamps. I've often thought of picking up a few extra for my dear fellow collectors but I reckon the cost of shipping would make it impractical.

​Recently I've found a couple of old wooden cases formerly used to hold photographic slides. These are very sturdily made from long seasoned wood and have slots which are just the right size to hold 120 coins in 2x2 flips. I use these for my premium coins which I intend to sell or swap. It's very easy to put my hands on exactly the coin I'm looking for in a matter of seconds. Any coin worth more than $20 goes in these and they can be stacked neatly so they don't take up an undue amount of space in my safe. I'd like to get a hold of a few more of these so I'm constantly on the lookout during my many fleamarket trips. Unfortunately they are very hard to find - when did you last see anyone using slides and a projector in this age of digital photography?

​I use slide boxes too! They are brilliant to use. I bought 5 boxes for 4€ in France once. Perfect. I also bought a super size one...it was a pullout extended drawer.
I am thinking to store at this box the double coins (or those i am going to swap). I am probably going to leave it open for a while. For my coin collection i will properly repair two metallic cabinets i found at a bargain in an old industry. The photo below is from their initial condition

I will upload the photos of their final form as soon as they will be ready. :)
I use a bamboo cutlery divider, They're cheap and the perfect size. As for gassing, if your coins are in the sealed flips then it shouldn't be a problem.

https://en.numista.com/forum/topic31727.html
Quote: "neilithic"​I use a bamboo cutlery divider, They're cheap and the perfect size. As for gassing, if your coins are in the sealed flips then it shouldn't be a problem.

https://en.numista.com/forum/topic31727.html
​Nice!!!

The only way I found to avoid my wife to take my collectibles coppers to buy bread (;0
Referee of south atlantic islands
Hi all!
I have another question. A recently (2 months ago) painted metal box can affect the coins? The coins will not come directly in contact with the box.

Thanks

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 19:14.