Menu

Coins from Christendom

» Quick access to the last post

Quant.Geek
One of my main collecting themes is coins from the Eastern Christian kingdoms (this includes Byzantium). These coins have a lot of symbolism and history to them. Furthermore, I figured we should have an analogus thread to the "Islamic Coins" for "Christian Coins". So, go ahead and post your Christian coins here. I'll start off with the following coin:

Hungary: Charles Róbert (1307-1342) BI Denár (Huszár-450, Unger-357)

Obv: Christ standing facing within mandorla, raising right hand in benediction; in left, book of Gospels
Rev: Kneeling Angel facing left with a halo and cross

Quant.Geek
Similar to the Quran leaf in the other thread, here is a Bible leaf for this thread :)

1612 Edition of the King James Bible, 1st Quarto - The Crucifixion of Christ (Matthew 23:3 onward)

This is from the so-called 'HE' edition of the 1612 Roman-Type Quatro KJB (H313). The 'HE' refers to Ruth 3:15 as the verse was written as:

Also he said, “Bring the veil that thou hast upon thee and hold it.” And when she held it, he measured six measures of barley, and laid it on her; and he went into the city.

The 'SHE' edition of 1612 has the verse written as:

Also he said, “Bring the veil that thou hast upon thee and hold it.” And when she held it, he measured six measures of barley, and laid it on her; and she went into the city.

For further information, see Norton, David, A Textual History of the King James Bible, Cambridge University Press, 2005

Quant.Geek
Crusaders: Bohémond III (1163-1201) AR Denier, Antioch (Metcalf, Crusades-378)

Obv:+ BOAИVHDVS, helmeted and mailed head left; crescent before, star behind
Rev:+ AИTI:OCHIA, cross pattée; crescent in second quarter

Quant.Geek
Byzantine Empire: Michael VII Ducas (1071-1078) Æ Follis, Constantinople (Sear-1878; DOC-14b)

Obv: Bust of Christ Pantokrator facing, bearded, with cross behind, wearing tunic and himation; right hand raised before breast in blessing, left hand holds book from beneath. In field, IC and XC above lateral arms of cross; six-pointed stars beneath them to left and right
Rev: +MIX AHΛ RACIOΔ; Crowned bust of Michael facing, bearded, wearing modified loros with collar-piece and crown with cross and pendilia, holding in right hand labarum, in left globus cruciger

Quant.Geek
Bulgaria: Todor Svetoslav (1300-1322) AR Grosh, Veliko Turnovo Mint (Raduchev & Zhekov 1.8.1-3)

Obv: Christ Pantokrator enthroned facing, IC XC across field
Rev: Todor Svetoslav standing facing, holding cross-tipped scepter

Quant.Geek
Cilician Armenia: Levon II (1270-1289) AR Tram (Nercessian-376v; CCA-1429)

Obv: King on horseback to right, holding reins with left hand, and a cross in right hand with two bars extending over his right shoulder. Clockwise legend, ԼԵՒՈՆ ԹԱԳԱՒՈՐ ԱՄԵՆԱՅՆ ՀԱՅՈՑ (Lewon Tagawor Amenayn Hayo; Levon, King of all Armenians)
Rev: Crowned lion walking left, with left paw raised. Behind him a cross with two bars. Clockwise legend, ՇԻՆԵԱԼ Ի ՔԱՂԱՔՆ Ի ՍԻՍ ԻՍ (Shineal i kaghakn i Sis; Struck in the city of Sis)

Quant.Geek
Bosnia: Štefan II Tomaševič (1461-1463) AR Dinar (Jovanovic-62.2)

Obv: crowned and veiled helmet left set on royal coat-of-arms; R and five-rayed star set in six-rayed star on either side of helmet; Legend around - STEFAn •CRAGL
Rev: St. Gregorius standing facing, raising hand in benediction and holding crozier; Legend around - S GREGO RI • PAPE

Quant.Geek
Hungary: Ferdinánd I (1526-1564) BI Denár (Huszár-935, Réthy-40, Unger-745a)

Obv: FERDINAND · D · G · R · VNG ✶ 1537 ✶; Quartered Coat of Arms (strips, double cross, leopard heads, Bohemian lion), at the heart , Austrian Shield
Rev: PATRONA · ✶ · VNGARIE; Virgin Mary, crowned, enthroned facing, holding infant Jesus; across field, K-B (Kremnitz)

Quant.Geek
Hungary: Béla IV (1235-1270) AR denár (Huszár-310; Unger-233)

Obv: BELAE REX around Hebrew tet (ט)
Rev: Angel slays dragon

Quant.Geek
This coin is holier than most coins I own :D...

Byzantine Empire: Constantine X Ducas (1059-1067) AR ⅔ Miliaresion, Constantinople (Sear-1851; DOC 6d)

Obv: + ӨKЄ ROHӨЄI; Theotokos orans standing facing; MHP ӨV across field
Obv: + ӨKЄ RO/HӨЄI KШN/CTANTINШ/ΔЄCΠOTH/TШ ΔUKAv in seven lines; — • — above and below legend

Quant.Geek
This coin is from Dato Mikeladze's collection, but it is just so awesome that I wanted it in this thread as well. Kudos on this acquisition Dato!!

Medieval Georgia: Queen Rusudan (1223-1247) AR Dirhem (Lang-14)

Obv: Bust of Christ facing, wearing nimbus, pallium and colobium and raising right hand in benediction, holds ornamented book of Gospels in left hand. IC ΧC (Ιησούς Χριστός) in field
Marginal Georgian Asomtavruli legend: ႱႠႾႤႪႨႧႠႶႧႨႱႨႧႠႨႽႤႣႠႵჃႬ (in the name of God, was struck in the K’oronikon 450 (1230AD))

Rev: In the centre of an ornamented frame, three Asomtavruli letters ႰႱႬ (Rusudan)
Marginal legend: ملكة الملكات جلال الدنيا والدين روسدان بنت تامار ظهير المسيح (Queen of the Queens, glory of the world and faith, Rusudan, daughter of Tamar, champion of the Messiah)

Quant.Geek
Aksumite Empire: Armah (ca. 630-650) Æ Unit (Hahn, Aksumite 72a; Munro-Hay Type 153; BMC Axum 577)

Obv: Crowned and draped full-length figure of Armah, wearing beaded necklace, enthroned right, holding cruciform scepter
Rev: Openwork cross with central gilding connected to ring by stem; wheat stalks emerging from ring

Quant.Geek
Aksumite Empire: Ella Gabaz (ca. 610-630) Æ Unit (Hahn, Aksumite 70.2; Munro-Hay 120; BMC Aksum 414)

Obv: "King WZN" (in Ge'ez), draped bust right wearing headcloth, holding grain ear
Rev: "He who is Fitting for the People" (in Ge'ez), long cross with ends terminating in smaller crosses over a smaller Greek cross; gilding in center

Quant.Geek
Kingdom of Thessalonica: Theodoros Comnenus-Ducas (1224-1230) AE Trachy, Thessalonica (Sear-2168, Sommer-73.6)

Obv: Facing bust of Christ Emmanuel with scroll
Rev: Emperor with labarum and globe cruciger; manus dei above; Legend around - ΘΕΟΔWPOC ΔECΠOTHC KOMNHNOC O ΔOVKA/C

chomp-master
Hungary 1 Denár - Rudolf (1576-1608) ÉH# 810

Pics picked from the original auction I won.
Administrateur du catalogue, référent de nombreuses nations antiques et de la Lorraine.
Catalogue administrator, numerous Antique nations and Lorraine referee.
Quant.Geek
Byzantine Empire: Æ Anonymous Class D Follis, Attributed to Constantine IX (1042-1055), Constantinople Mint (Sear-1836)

Obv: IC - XC; Christ seated facing on throne with back, wearing nimbus cruciger, pallium and colobium, and holding book of Gospels with both hands
Rev: IS XS / bASILE / bASIL in three lines

Quant.Geek
Byzantine Empire: Æ Anonymous Class H Follis, Attributed to Michael VII (1071-1078), Constantinople Mint (Sear-1880; DOC H.5)

Obv: Facing bust of Christ Pantokrator
Rev: Patriarchal cross with globule and pellets at extremities, set on floral ornament

Quant.Geek
Hungary: Belá III (1172-1196) Follis (Huszár-72, Unger-114)

Obv: SANCTA—MARIA, Nimbate Madonna facing the front, scepter in right hand, infant Jesus in left. Two crosses above.
Rev: REX BELA on left, REX STS on right; Two kings seated on thrones facing, each holding scepter and globus cruciger; long cross between. Inverted crescent and three lines in exergue.

Quant.Geek
Bulgaria: Ivan Alexander (1331-1371) Grosso (Dimnik&Dobrinic-9.1.2)

Obv: Christ standing facing before seat, raising hands in benediction; IC XC and monograms across field.
Rev: Ivan Alexander and Michael Asen IV standing facing, each holding cross-tipped scepter, holding Christogram-tipped staff between them; monograms across field; stars flanking base of staff.

Quant.Geek
Serbia: Vuk Branković (1389-1398) AR Dinar (Jovanovic-113)

Obv: Vuk standing facing, bareheaded with banner and loros, Cyrillic legend around ВЛЬКЬ (VUK) on either side
Rev: Christ enthroned, partial Cyrillic legend ГАК/ВЬ on either side of Christ.

Parimal
Italian states (Venetia) - 1 Zecchino - Lodovico Manin (1789-1797)

Obv : St. Mark standing at left presenting staff with cross
Rev : Full-length facing figure of Christ in beaded ellipse lined with stars.

Blog : https://parimalscoincollection.blogspot.com
Twitter : https://twitter.com/ParryPhilaNumis
Instagram : https://www.instagram.com/parry.phila.numis
Quant.Geek
Picked up a few new coins for my collection, so I thought I could revive this dead thread :°

Empire of Nicaea: Theodore I Comnenus-Lascaris (1208-1222) BI Trachy, Magnesia (Sear 2067; DOC 7)

Obv: Christ Pantokrator standing facing; small crosses flanking
Rev: Theodore and St. Theodore standing facing, holding a labarum between them

Byzantine Empire: Michael VIII Palaeologus (1261-1282 CE) Æ Trachy, Constantinople (Sear 2259; DOC 46-51; PCPC 20.1-3)

Obv: Bust of Christ Pantokrator facing; K across field
Rev: Archangel Michael presenting kneeling emperor to Christ seated left

ZacUK Numista team, Moderator
John the Baptist

Obverse: John the Baptist with Agnus Dei [God's lamb] on a book. Numbered [369] in left field, as all examples are for issuing. Lettering: PARATE VIA DNI [PARATE · VIAM · DOMINI]
Reverse: A representation of Faith, Hope and Charity with Charity the largest. Lettering:
IN CHARITATE NON FICTA / CONCORDIA

Described as 'An attractive and Original AE medal / Token. Issued by Vatican authorities to beggars and others receiving charity. An interesting and rare piece'.
My collections >
http://mycoinssite.webs.com/apps/photos/album?albumid=13560800
also 13750057 also 15924495 also 15995337
http://mycoinssite.webs.com/apps/photos/album?albumid=16060326
Parimal
Vatican City - Sede Vacante 500 Lire coins from 1978

Blog : https://parimalscoincollection.blogspot.com
Twitter : https://twitter.com/ParryPhilaNumis
Instagram : https://www.instagram.com/parry.phila.numis
numinis
Poland, commemorative 2 Złote: Jubilee of Year 2000, Y# 376, 2000.
On reverse there is the tetramorph, i.e. the union of the symbols of the Four evangelists, derived from Inaugural vision in the Book of Ezekiel where the chariot is drawn by four living creatures, each having four faces (those of a man, a lion, an ox, and an eagle) and four wings:
  • św. Mateusz / Matthew: angel or winged man
  • św. Marek / Mark: winged lion
  • św. Łukasz / Luke: winged ox
  • św. Jan / John: eagle
ūūūūū
MonaSeaclaid
I have nothing of interest or value to add, I just want to follow this thread.
Quant-Geek
Byzantine Empire: Michael VIII Palaeologos (1261-1282) Æ Trachy, Constantinople (Sear 2260; Bendall-Donald C.2; PCPC 21)

Obv: MP - ΘV in upper field; Virgin nimbate, seated upon throne with back, with side panels each decorated with a saltire and four pellets; holds beardless, nimbate head of Christ on breast
Rev: Χ/Μ/ΔЄC/Π/ΤIC to left, Ο/ΠΑ/ΛЄ/OΛ to right; IC XC beside head of Christ; kneeling figure of emperor wearing divitision, collar-piece, and jeweled loros of simplified type, being presented by St. Michael, beardless and nimbate, to Christ, who crowns him with right hand and holds scroll in left
Wgt: 2.49g
Size: 27.13mm

A gallery of my coins and artifacts can been seen on FORVM Ancient Coins
Max_505
Quote: "MonaSeaclaid"​I have nothing of interest or value to add, I just want to follow this thread.
​Me too
Quant-Geek
Germany, Aachen: Frederick II (1220-50) AR Denar (Menadier-62)

Obv: ✚ • FRID ⲈRIC’ • ; Emperor seated facing
Rev: ✠ INPⲈ RTOR; Bust of Charles the Great with castle behind

cmaclean
Quote: "Quant.Geek"Aksumite Empire: Armah (ca. 630-650) Æ Unit (Hahn, Aksumite 72a; Munro-Hay Type 153; BMC Axum 577)

​Obv: Crowned and draped full-length figure of Armah, wearing beaded necklace, enthroned right, holding cruciform scepter
​Rev: Openwork cross with central gilding connected to ring by stem; wheat stalks emerging from ring

What is the purpose of the gilding? Is there enough gold to add much to its face value, or is it purely decorative? This surely must count as one of the earliest bi-metallic coins.

You have an incredible collection. Thank you for sharing it with us. ​
Numista referee for Scotland.
cmaclean
Crux Pellit Copper of James III of Scotland

This is one of the earliest post-Roman copper coins in Europe. Its introduction (alongside copper farthings) was regarded by contemporaries as being a factor that led to a coup d'état against James III in 1482. The official that was supposedly responsible for their introduction was hanged.

The coin's Christian iconography is pretty clear. The reverse legend reads: CRVX PELLIT OMNE CRIMEN (the cross drives away all sin), hence the name Crux Pellit Copper.
Numista referee for Scotland.
Quant-Geek
Quote: "cmaclean"
Quote: "Quant.Geek"Aksumite Empire: Armah (ca. 630-650) Æ Unit (Hahn, Aksumite 72a; Munro-Hay Type 153; BMC Axum 577)
​​
​​Obv: Crowned and draped full-length figure of Armah, wearing beaded necklace, enthroned right, holding cruciform scepter
​​Rev: Openwork cross with central gilding connected to ring by stem; wheat stalks emerging from ring
​​
​​
​​

​What is the purpose of the gilding? Is there enough gold to add much to its face value, or is it purely decorative? This surely must count as one of the earliest bi-metallic coins.

​You have an incredible collection. Thank you for sharing it with us. ​

Thanks for the complement! I am glad you are enjoying them as do I. ​There have been a lot of study on the Axumite gilding process and why they gilded their coins. There are varying theories, but nothing concrete. As the number of gold coins decreased, some speculate that it was to increase the value of the copper and silver coins by gilding important religious icons on the coin. This also was extended to the crown of the King. Others speculate that it was purely decorative as several religious items have been found that was gilded. Here are a few others in my collection:

Aksumite Empire: Anonymous (ca. 440-470) Æ Unit (Hahn, Aksumite 36.2; Munro-Hay Type 76; BMC Axum 316)

Obv: Crowned bust right, holding cruciform scepter
Rev: Greek cross within circle, central element with gold inlay

Aksumite Empire: Ella Gabaz (ca. 610-630) Æ Unit (Hahn, Aksumite 70.2; Munro-Hay 120; BMC Aksum 414)

Obv: "King WZN" (in Ge'ez), draped bust right wearing headcloth, holding grain ear
Rev: "He who is Fitting for the People" (in Ge'ez), long cross with ends terminating in smaller crosses over a smaller Greek cross; gilding in center

Aksumite Empire: Kaleb (ca. 510-540) AR Unit (Hahn, Aksumite 42; Munro-Hay Type 111; BMC Axum 411-12)

Obv: ነገሠ ከለበ (neguš Kaleb; King Kaleb); Crowned bust right; cross above
Rev: ለሀገረ ዘየደለ (la-hagar ze-yedlu (or za-yedallu); May this be (or he who is) suitable for the city/country); Bust right, wearing headcloth; cross above

Quant-Geek
I am still far behind in my task of classifying and photographing coins I purchased 8 months ago. Here is a coin from a hoard I bought around that time that I just got around to photograph. Its within topic :°:

Byzantine Empire: Andronicus III Palaeologus (1328-1341) Æ Assarion (Sear-2487; DOC 929; LPC 240.11; PCPC 261; Lianta-839)

Obv: St. Demetrius, beardless and nimbate, seated upon throne without back; holds sword across knees
Rev: Three-quarter-length figure of Andronicus wearing stemma, holding lis and cruciform scepter; stars in field

A fuller example of the above coin:

Quant-Geek
Coins are pilling up and I just don't have any time. I should probably take a picture of my desk at home to show the pile of coins on my desk (and the box of coins on the floor!). Been too busy with work. Here is a coin I purchased this month that I was able to squeeze some time to attribute:

Normans in Sicily: Roger II (1130-1154) AR Ducale, Palermo (Spahr 72; MEC 212; Biaggi 1770)

Obv: + IC • XC • RG • IN AE TRN (Jesus Christus regnat in aeternum); Bust of Christ facing, wearing nimbus cruciger, pallium and colobium, and raising right hand in benediction; in left hand, book of Gospels
Rev: King Roger and his son Roger, duke of Apulia, staff with cross at each end between them, beneath the king R RX SCLS (Rogerius Rex Siciliae), beneath the duke, R • D X • AP (Rogerius Dux Apuliae) and AN R X (Anno decimo del regno) between them

As always, you can go here to view my gallery:

http://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=36484
MonaSeaclaid
If your collection is getting out of hand I could take care of a few for you. 0:)

I love these posts!
Quant-Geek
Quote: "MonaSeaclaid"​If your collection is getting out of hand I could take care of a few for you. 0:)

​I love these posts!

​My hobby is becoming a full-time job lately and I need to scale down a bit. I am trying to refrain from buying new coins in the next few months while I sort out things. Lets see how that lasts :°
Quant-Geek
A new attribution to an old acquisition...

Empire of Nicaea: John III Ducas-Vatazes (1222-1254) Æ Trachy, Thessalonica Mint (Sear 2095; DOC IV, 41)

Obv: MP - ΘV in upper field; Virgin nimbate, seated upon throne with back; holds beardless, nimbate head of Christ on breast
Rev: IШ OΔϪKAC in two columnar groups, Full-length figure of emperor wearing stemma, divitision, collar-piece, jeweled loros of simplified type and sagion; right hand holds labarum-headed scepter; left hand holds globus cruciger; Star often on sagion to left or right (or both)

Believe it or not, the condition of these coins are pretty good in comparison to the coins stored in the Ashmolean Museum:

Numismatist uk
Looks like long lost treasure...(;0
                                           Coin collector and Silver stacker
              'We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give.'
                                                      Sir Winston Churchill

» Top of the page

Used time zone is UTC+2:00.
Current time is 12:55AM.