Changing the What He/ She...

12 posts

This message aims at: suggesting an idea to improve Numista

[Profile] Replace "he/she" by "they"
Upvotes: 3
Downvotes: 0
My Suggestion is Small, Nearly Unnoticeable, I Think The Profile Page Should Be Switched So Instead Of What He/ She... It Says: What They...
It Would Look Like This:

Who are "they"? I am one, not a group. Therefore I reckon "he/she" is the best option.
Coin referee for: ASM, AZE, FRO, GRL, HI, KOR, KGZ, MLI, MHL, MMR, PRK, PCN, TCA, UZB, WSM, SML, TAT, TWN, TJK
Banknote referee for: AGO, AZE, ECS, HTI, KAZ, KGZ, KOR, MRT, MNG, PRK, WSM, ROK, SWE, TJK, PMR, TKM, UZB, ZWE
He/she is the grammatically correct way of referring to one person. But a ton of people use "they". Another option would be "this person collects" and "this person wants"

Will
How about "What I want" & "What I collect".
Quote: "SRV5490"​How about "What I want" & "What I collect".
​Then we should also change to "My coins" instead of "Your coins" to make it more personal.
Coin referee for: ASM, AZE, FRO, GRL, HI, KOR, KGZ, MLI, MHL, MMR, PRK, PCN, TCA, UZB, WSM, SML, TAT, TWN, TJK
Banknote referee for: AGO, AZE, ECS, HTI, KAZ, KGZ, KOR, MRT, MNG, PRK, WSM, ROK, SWE, TJK, PMR, TKM, UZB, ZWE
Quote: "ngdawa"
​​Then we should also change to "My coins" instead of "Your coins" to make it more personal.
​Exactly.
​​Then we should also change to "My coins" instead of "Your coins" to make it more personal.
​Why not just "What SRV490 wants" or "What SRV490 collects"
And "ngdawa's coins" ?

This will remove the need for he/she/they/<other-generic-PC-pronoun>, and should work irrespective of whether you're looking at your profile, or someone elses.
http://www.facebook.com/NumismaticsUK
I'm not an expert in any kind of coins, but I reckon I'm good at research and will do my best to help. Feel free to tell me my identifications/valuations/gradings are wrong. It's the only way I'll learn.
Quote: "BizzoDoes"​​Why not just "What SRV490 wants" or "What SRV490 collects"
​And "ngdawa's coins" ?

​This will remove the need for he/she/they/<other-generic-PC-pronoun>, and should work irrespective of whether you're looking at your profile, or someone elses.
​That could work as well. So, either make the site more personal with "I want" and "My coins" or simply make it neutral with "<usrname> wants".
But honestly I reckon that "he/she" works perfectly fine. I do would like it to be called "My coins", since they're mine, not yours. :P
Quote: "BizzoDoes"

​​​Then we should also change to "My coins" instead of "Your coins" to make it more personal.
​​Why not just "What SRV490 wants" or "What SRV490 collects"
​And "ngdawa's coins" ?

​This will remove the need for he/she/they/<other-generic-PC-pronoun>, and should work irrespective of whether you're looking at your profile, or someone elses.
​That would work just as well.
Quote: "ngdawa"​​But honestly I reckon that "he/she" works perfectly fine. I do would like it to be called "My coins", since they're mine, not yours. :P
​I agree, "he/she" works, and doesn't necessarily need to changed.

I was about to say about gender neutral pronouns and how it's kicked off a little here (in the UK) recently with gender identity/neutrality/fluidity, but it looks like you guys have already beaten us to it.
After searching for this article
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-34901704
I read it last year, about non-binary pronouns, I found this:
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/features/the-swedes-are-adding-a-gender-neutral-pronoun-to-their-dictionary-10137216.html
Perfect, a gender neutral pronoun.
("They" should be reserved for a group, not an individual in my opinion)

As a cisgendered straight male who aligns with their binary birth gender, I respect everyone's need to use a fitting pronoun, especially if their gender identity is non-binary, neutral, transitional or fluid. As long as they equally respect my need to use he/him/his, as I identify with those. :)

But joking aside, maybe it is time the English language evolved a little to accommodate this?
After all, "they" did it with "you":
Quote: "from the BBC link"​​But English has a precedent for a plural pronoun coming to be used in the singular - the pronoun "you". Until the 17th Century a single person was addressed with "thou" and "thee". Later "you" became perfectly acceptable in both plural and singular. Neither McConnell-Ginet nor Baron sees any reason why the same could not happen with "they".
http://www.facebook.com/NumismaticsUK
I'm not an expert in any kind of coins, but I reckon I'm good at research and will do my best to help. Feel free to tell me my identifications/valuations/gradings are wrong. It's the only way I'll learn.
Hello,
I reworked the profile a little bit and changed into "What xxx collects" and "What xxx wants" (where "xxx" stands for the user's name).
Status changed to Implemented (Xavier, 20-Jun-2020, 06:49PM)
Quote: "Xavier"​Hello,
​I reworked the profile a little bit and changed into "What xxx collects" and "What xxx wants" (where "xxx" stands for the user's name).
​Yes, but why are those so separate now? The swap should be either before or after them, not between them, I think.
OR
Why do even both exist? What we want is what we collect, isn't it? So it could be together: "What xxx collects/wants". If you have any special coin-wishes, you can write it into the same section.

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 10:36AM.