Numismatic store in Barcelona

8 posts
Hi,
I might be visiting Barcelona this fall and would appreciate some info on:
- good numismatic store in Barcelona
- good inexpensive hotel for 2 people for 1 week in October

Thank you in advance
There is a time for everything - Il y a un temps pour tout - Всему есть свое время - Для всього свій час, і година своя кожній справі під небом
Can't help with the first request but for hotels or accommodation try Airbnb!
Was in Barcelona a few days ago for a few days to unwind after the tiring Denmark and Norway holiday!

We stayed at the H10 Marina, which honestly I wouldn't recommend for the price. We literally booked an hour before arrival though, so choice was very limited. (In flight wifi wasn't installed yet :( ) Tripadvisor is your best bet for hotels.

There is a coin shop on the way to Plaça de Catalunya, between the arc and the park. I can't remember the exact name, but I browsed for a few moments and wasn't particularly awestruck.

Biggest advice is forget coins for a few days, and enjoy the beaches, beer, and boats. Much topless sunbathing from pretty ladies going on! You can play futsal on the beach too.
Hi Glykan

I haven't been in Barcelona since more than 6 years, but I believe you will have a blast.

However, I meet two month ago some Coin Dealers from Barcelona in the Tokyo International Convention, they had high end coins on display with several Gold and Silver coins that will challenge your coin budget...

Here their details.
JustforFun...
I live in Spain and to my knowledge there arent alot of great quality coin shops in Barcelona. I highly recommend going to placa del rei "kings court" just off la rambla on Sundays from 8 or 9 until 1 or 2 better to be early if you can, usually around 50 vendors with a good variety of coins and prices. Like someone else said as for hotels best bet is trip advisor but october prices should be good. Also you can go to the banco de espana at placa catalunya which is at the start of la rambla. 10 min walk from placa del rei and ask for any current euro coins uncirculated including 2 euro commemoratives and sometimes silver coins if available all for face value. Its a great part of barcelona with the port at the opposite end of la rambla with shops everywhere in between.
Thanks for all your advises and apologies for not answering sooner - I was out of country. I do hope that Barcelona in October is nice and warm and the beaches are still spectacular :-).
As for an advise to forget about coins while in Barcelona - I'll give it a very serious consideration. But if I (pretend that just by pure chance) pass by any coin store, I'll be VERY tempted to spend some time inside.
There is a time for everything - Il y a un temps pour tout - Всему есть свое время - Для всього свій час, і година своя кожній справі під небом
Folks,
Thanks a lot for all your advices - my trip to Barcelona was (actually still is) absolutely perfect. I wish I was able to come here again and again.
As for numismatics - the only store I was able to find was Aureo & Galicio mentioned by JustforFun but it is way out my league and above my modest budget allocated for this trip. Other stores (if they exist) are well hidden and away from major tourist routes and attraction.
The Sunday coin market at Placa Reial was very good though - not that many vendors (around 20 or 25) but good variety of coins from the latest 2 euro and back to ancient Rome. Prices are quite high - especially on the table close to the entrance and with the English-speaking vendors, but some "Spanish-only" vendors are more flexible and you can get a good deal. There was a lot of large silver 5 pesetas (1870-early 1900) but they seems to be priced "for tourists only". Surprisingly, there was very little of the old Spanish silver, practically no maravedis or Spanish colonies (pity, I hoped to find some) but at the same time there was no Chinese fakes whatsoever - at least I didn't see any obvious fakes.
Thought I'd resurrect this old thread; I'm now off in Ibiza, but my time in Barcelona was absolutely wonderful, and here are some shops I frequented and recommend to future visitors; I've added them to the "People's List" of dealers pinned above in Free Discussions forum. (maybe ashlobo could also make Outings pages for them if they don't already exist?)

Vives de la Cortada, No 26 Carrer del Call;

Very nice selection of Spanish (primarily) and world coins; good prices mostly, with some exceptions. Quite professional. Owner speaks only Spanish, but the woman at the minerals counter in the other half of their condominium understands French, and helped translate my requests.

Another shop a little further down the same street; more humble inventory, and less professional (more of a pawn shop ambiance) but some good deals to be had on early Spanish copper if you know where to look. (as in, under €5 each). Spanish, but another customer helped translate for me, this time from English.

+Some street markets in the Gothic Quarter; some are open only on Sundays, but others seem to be present full-time, such as this one I found at the harbour (near the Columbus Monument on the waterfront). Again, great deals to be had (one dealer gave me half price on everything!).

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 17:39.