Advice on putting my coins into binders

13 posts

» Quick access to the last post

Hi guys, I'm moving and decided that once I get settled, I should fix up my coin collection, which has been in seven massive binders (based on Africa, Asia, the Americas, three for Europe, and one for all pre-1900s). The problem is that I'm not sure if changing my binders is a good idea. I was thinking of maybe having smaller, more manageable binders focusing on individual countries so that I could better flesh out my collection when it comes to certain countries (I focus mainly on Europe with a specialty towards Germany, Yugoslavia, and the USSR). But I have so many coins from such a wide array of countries that I'm not sure if I should do that across the board (except in some cases; a complete collection of Greenland coins wouldn't take a whole binder).

Anyway, what do you guys think? How do you display your collections?
Hello and welcome to the forum. If you click on the 'search' button and type in 'collection binders' you should find several previous topics that might prove useful - hope this helps and happy collecting! :)
Just because you can't see it ... doesn't mean it isn't there - Anon.

Coin catalogue referee for England, United Kingdom & pre-Union South Africa.
Banknote catalogue referee for England & United Kingdom.
I have mine in small binders that hold around 10-15 pages. I found in the past that the big binders are just too heavy and the pages tend to rip. I don't have many coins, so I've divided my collection into 6 binders with the countries in alphabetical order (i.e. a-c, d-f, g-I, j-q, p-s, t-z)
I have a binder for each continent, except Europe which has 2. Whenever I have too many coins from a continent to hold in 1 binder I'll just add another. I order the countries geographically (north to south and west to east).
I have roughly half regular binders and half big ones (Optima gigant) and so far haven't had any ripped page (I use leuchtturm sheets for HB flips).
Quote: "BryanJ"
​ I have a binder for each continent, except Europe which has 2. Whenever I have too many coins from a continent to hold in 1 binder I'll just add another. I order the countries geographically (north to south and west to east).
​I have roughly half regular binders and half big ones (Optima gigant) and so far haven't had any ripped page (I use leuchtturm sheets for HB flips).
​That's more or less what I do now. Do you get any problems keeping the order when you get new coins? That's something I'm having trouble with; I have a binder for each continent in alphabetical order, and its super annoying when I get a new Algerian coin and have to put it at the end of my African binder nowhere near the other Algerian coins. It all ends up really messy after a while.
Quote: "boldreporter"
​​ I have a binder for each continent, except Europe which has 2. Whenever I have too many coins from a continent to hold in 1 binder I'll just add another. I order the countries geographically (north to south and west to east).
​​I have roughly half regular binders and half big ones (Optima gigant) and so far haven't had any ripped page (I use leuchtturm sheets for HB flips).
​​That's more or less what I do now. Do you get any problems keeping the order when you get new coins? That's something I'm having trouble with; I have a binder for each continent in alphabetical order, and its super annoying when I get a new Algerian coin and have to put it at the end of my African binder nowhere near the other Algerian coins. It all ends up really messy after a while.

Why not get a little coin box which you can use for the new intakes, and then sort it out when you have time once in a while? I don't use binders, but this is my box for new intakes. Holds around 150 coins, is cheap, and doesn't take up much room.

Here's my system with coin holders, album pages and albums:

- Every country I have a coin from - even if it's just one coin - gets (at least) and album page.
- For countries with 20 coins or less, I put them all in one album page sorted by denomination and date
- For countries with more than 20 coins (meaning they spread on several pages), I start on a new row for each denomination
- When I have enough coins from one country to split it across two or more albums, I start on a new page for each denomination

This helps ease the workload a bit, when I get new coins that have to be inserted into the middle of the pages.

I then put them into albums (when I can afford to buy them, I still have loads of loose album pages) by country or geographical area, depending on how many I have from each country.

For example, I have 3 albums with Danish coins, 3 albums with British coins, but all my pages with South American coins fit into one album. I normally try to keep it at 2-300 coins per album, but as an example I have nearly 400 coins from the Netherlands and Belgium combined - they currently share an album and really need to be split into separate albums.

EDIT: Forgot to mention - I use standard Hartberger albums like these:

http://www.hartberger.com/banden-groot
Quote: "boldreporter"​​​That's more or less what I do now. Do you get any problems keeping the order when you get new coins? That's something I'm having trouble with; I have a binder for each continent in alphabetical order, and its super annoying when I get a new Algerian coin and have to put it at the end of my African binder nowhere near the other Algerian coins. It all ends up really messy after a while.

I always leave a few empty slots between countries, so I can add a couple of new coins easily for a while. Then when there are no empty spaces left I just move the second country to a new page.
Quote: "oggy"

​​​ I have a binder for each continent, except Europe which has 2. Whenever I have too many coins from a continent to hold in 1 binder I'll just add another. I order the countries geographically (north to south and west to east).
​​​I have roughly half regular binders and half big ones (Optima gigant) and so far haven't had any ripped page (I use leuchtturm sheets for HB flips).
​​​That's more or less what I do now. Do you get any problems keeping the order when you get new coins? That's something I'm having trouble with; I have a binder for each continent in alphabetical order, and its super annoying when I get a new Algerian coin and have to put it at the end of my African binder nowhere near the other Algerian coins. It all ends up really messy after a while.
​​
​Why not get a little coin box which you can use for the new intakes, and then sort it out when you have time once in a while? I don't use binders, but this is my box for new intakes. Holds around 150 coins, is cheap, and doesn't take up much room.

​I really need one of these. Right now I just put my coins in 2x2 flips and dump them anyhow in basic cardboard boxes. Where did you get these from ?

On the binders, I have 18 sitting back home in Bombay (each contains ~200-300 coins) and another 4 over here in toronto (~400 coins each). Once in a year I try to re-arrange the coins so that i can consolidate the countries. It always feels like a losing battle
Outings administrator
Quote: "ashlobo"
Quote​​I really need one of these. Right now I just put my coins in 2x2 flips and dump them anyhow in basic cardboard boxes. Where did you get these from ?

​On the binders, I have 18 sitting back home in Bombay (each contains ~200-300 coins) and another 4 over here in toronto (~400 coins each). Once in a year I try to re-arrange the coins so that i can consolidate the countries. It always feels like a losing battle
​I have found that it's easier and cheaper just to get a wooden cutlery divider, you can see my system in this thread, https://en.numista.com/forum/topic31727.html

Although now I have my coins in flips and albums again that divider is just used to hold my swaps, coins for sale and my accessories (loupe, scales, pencil rubber, stickers etc)
Quote: "ashlobo"
Quote: "oggy"

​​

​​​​ I have a binder for each continent, except Europe which has 2. Whenever I have too many coins from a continent to hold in 1 binder I'll just add another. I order the countries geographically (north to south and west to east).
​​​​I have roughly half regular binders and half big ones (Optima gigant) and so far haven't had any ripped page (I use leuchtturm sheets for HB flips).
​​​​That's more or less what I do now. Do you get any problems keeping the order when you get new coins? That's something I'm having trouble with; I have a binder for each continent in alphabetical order, and its super annoying when I get a new Algerian coin and have to put it at the end of my African binder nowhere near the other Algerian coins. It all ends up really messy after a while.
​​​
​​Why not get a little coin box which you can use for the new intakes, and then sort it out when you have time once in a while? I don't use binders, but this is my box for new intakes. Holds around 150 coins, is cheap, and doesn't take up much room.
​​
​​
​​I really need one of these. Right now I just put my coins in 2x2 flips and dump them anyhow in basic cardboard boxes. Where did you get these from ?

​On the binders, I have 18 sitting back home in Bombay (each contains ~200-300 coins) and another 4 over here in toronto (~400 coins each). Once in a year I try to re-arrange the coins so that i can consolidate the countries. It always feels like a losing battle

They come up on UK Ebay from time to time, and sell for around $15 or so.

I've just spent a while longer trying to look for a supplier, but unfortunately can't find one. I'm still looking, as I'd like another myself. If you do find a link, let us know please!

In the meantime, you can buy something like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lighthouse-plastic-coin-Holders-blue/dp/B001IHUP0E/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1468452062&sr=8-12&keywords=coin+box
Quote: "boldreporter"[...] I focus mainly on Europe with a specialty towards Germany, Yugoslavia, and the USSR [...]

​Yugoslavia and USSR (and their offspring) may require each a large binder, especially if you add a few banknotes from these countries.
Referee of south atlantic islands
The storage boxes are 35mm projector slide storage boxes. Few examples on eBay.....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-x-Very-Nice-Vintage-35mm-Slide-Storage-Boxes-with-Unused-Index-Cards-/182134301434?hash=item2a680ce2fa:g:j2EAAOSwfC9XOikN

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-BOOTS-COMPACT-SLIDES-BOX-200-slides-MINT-/401150772447?hash=item5d667304df:g:W4sAAOSw1DtXDp9m

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-BOOTS-GREY-PHOTOGRAPHIC-SLIDE-STORAGE-CASE-HOLDS-100-SLIDES-/381303831122?hash=item58c77aba52:g:EToAAOSw3ydVh-Fv

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-photography-Agfa-storage-box-cassette-for-200-slides-/182200358717?hash=item2a6bfcd73d:g:DaUAAOSw7XZXgRWA

Just search for "35mm slide storage" on eBay. They are always there as auction or buy it now at decent prices.

I used to use binders until upgrading my storage but I may end up using them again soon as space is running out.....again.
Restoration addict : Verdigris Removal : Zinc White spot removal : Iron Rust Removal : Silver brooch/necklace mount Removal

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 19:35.