Hello!

9 posts

» Quick access to the last post

Hey everyone,

New member here! I have been spending the past few weeks or so cataloging my coins (after a couple weeks of trying to figure the whole thing out) and today I accidentaly stumbled across the forum section of the site. Good timing, too, because in the coming week or so I should be finished entering the rest of my swap list and begin swapping.

My one question, and other reason for making this post besides introducing myself, is what is proper swap etiquette? Do I simply start checking coins off others swap lists or would it be more polite to message some one who has coins I would like to swap for and invite them to browse my swap list to determine if a mutually equitable swap can be made?

Thanks for taking the time to read and I am looking forward to swapping and checking the forums!

Thanks again,
Rob
"Time is money." - Benjamin Franklin
Check out some of the coins in my collection:
https://collectivecoin.com/RTScott1978
Hi Rob,

Welcome to Numista!

Below are two links from Numisdoc that you may find useful:
https://en.numista.com/numisdoc/how-to-start-a-swap-147.html
https://en.numista.com/numisdoc/swapping-step-by-step-149.html
Quote: "RTScott78"​My one question, and other reason for making this post besides introducing myself, is what is proper swap etiquette? Do I simply start checking coins off others swap lists or would it be more polite to message some one who has coins I would like to swap for and invite them to browse my swap list to determine if a mutually equitable swap can be made?

​I usually check off the coins and send a swap request with a couple of polite phrases. But read the profiles before you it - some people prefer to contacted first. And of course you can send people the invitation to browse your swap list, though it never worked for me...
There is a time for everything - Il y a un temps pour tout - Всему есть свое время - Для всього свій час, і година своя кожній справі під небом
Quote: "Spookie"​Hi Rob,

​Welcome to Numista!

​Below are two links from Numisdoc that you may find useful:
https://en.numista.com/numisdoc/how-to-start-a-swap-147.html
https://en.numista.com/numisdoc/swapping-step-by-step-149.html

​Thanks for the welcome Spookie! Those instructions pretty much cover everything I was confused about. Great links!

Also, thanks to Glykan for the advice. I'll be sure to check out the profiles of those I would like to swap with.
As mentioned above, pay attention to what people state as their collecting goals/targets in the profile. Some may only collect silver coins, some only FAO coins, for example. Also, when you look at one's profile you will see how many coins from your swap list that person may be potentially interested in.

What I often do when I find what I think may be a good swap partner I create an empty swap (just don't add any coins to it) and add a friendly (I hope) message to it. It is pretty much like sending a message but with a half-a-step further.

Welcome to Numista! :)
I concur with what has been said by Smoked. I tend to ignore swap offers that come without a short, friendly message, and I appreciate it when a fellow member takes the time to look at my profile/collection want list before offering a swap.

Welcome to the best coin forum around!
Referee for Pre-Euro Ireland
I have to admit that some of the people I hold in the highest regard are among those I've never swapped with. We are either at different stages of the collecting path or simply have such different ambitions that we just have nothing to offer each other.

Still, I've managed to improve my collection beyond all recognition and all without weekly drags on the ebay crack pipe. (I like that phrase, I'm going to use it more often) During varied conversations with varied other collectors it really does seem that Numista has done more for coin collecting than any number of dry conferences / auctions hosted by Bernie Sanders lookalikes or fat guys in comicon tee shirts with halitosis.

It's all about being friendly and fitting in. Numista is blessed with a relatively small community. We look after each other and try to bring the right people into our small corner of the internet while excluding the bottom feeders. Once people get to know you and warm to you then the world is your proverbial oyster. I'm quite proud to belong to such a pleasant and informal circle, many of whom I consider friends. I've met some, will meet others and some I'll be very unlikely to meet but they are the people I know I can turn to when a particular date is proving hard to find. It's not at all unusual to open the mail to find a sought after coin sent without strings by a friend / collector. I've just opened one such this evening courtesy of that fine Southern Gent. Auctionking65, thanks brother!

So we're all doing pretty good without paying ebay / paypal fees or dealing with dishonest strangers. Here's how (I think) it works. We all have access to different local markets, What's cheap for me is likely to be expensive elsewhere and vice versa. I'm always keeping one out for nice coins which are no use to me but are very much sought after by others. It works quite beautifully and to everyone's advantage so it really is worth the initial effort involved in fitting in.

Until you are pretty well established you will be asked to mail your part of any swap and let your partner receive and examine them before anything is mailed to you. The reasons are so self explanatory that I won't insult your intelligence by restating them. Another big issue is shipping. The US and Canada pay extortionate overseas mail cost s to subsidize the poorer countries. Some collectors who have the good fortune to be able to send a fully insured and tracked parcel for under $5 insist on registered mail only. The same parcel will cost a North American at least $30 and can often exceed the value of the swap! I try to stick to the US, sometimes Canada and Europe but only if it makes sense. Some countries I just avoid entirely.

Welcome to Numista. Now about that 1902 1/3rd Farthing.......... want to make a swap?
Non illegitimis carborundum est.  Excellent advice for all coins.
Make Numismatics Great Again!  
Thanks again everyone for the warm welcomes and advice!

And, pnightingale, that was a fantastic write up. Well thought out, well written and, well, very exciting and comforting to say the least. Seems like a great community here on Numista and I'm very glad to become a part of it.

​PS - I'll be sending you a message regarding that 1/3 farthing shortly.
Hello RTScott78 let me know if you are looking for newer UK coins have a lot of them
It is, what it is, or is it.
Topic locked (Numista Robot, 24-Jan-2019, 00:01)

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 20:38.