5 Delftsche Duyt - was a legal tender?

3 posts
I guess it is a question mostly for numistas from Netherlands. Being in Delft I've bought such coin, calling 5 Delftsche Duyt. The numismatic shop's owner as well flea market sellers sweared it was a legal tender in Delft in 1996. Didn't find something about and Numista seems misses it too. Any certain info about?

mumi numi
From all that I can find it was a coin worth five guilders minted by the city of Delft in 1996 for its 750th anniversary. The circulation (acceptance for payment ) was at the discretion of the vender, as they were not obligated to accept it as currency. More recognized as a merchandize trade token ...
? Format  Format  Format ?   ?
Do not argue with ignorant people .. !! They will drag you down to their level, then pulverize you with experience ...
I've been living in the Netherlands for half a century now, and I have witnessed several times that 'coins' with a nominal value were minted on the occassion of an important jubilee in the history of a particular city or town, and that these coins were said to be valid currency in the named place.
Acceptance of them was at the will of shop owners, but usually, people bought these coins as a souvenir and didn't intend at all to spend them. Furthermore, I doubt if there was any legislation backing the exchange value of these items.

So in a way, these coins could be used as currency, but can probably not be called 'Legal Tender', and the degree of circulation was extremely low, and only within the context of the celebrated event.

My examples are the coins commemorating the 700th anniversary of Amsterdam in 1975:

Perhaps my Dutch fellow members have more of these examples and stories.

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 10:47.