Which nations don't allow visitors to take their currency out of the nation?

14 posts

» Quick access to the last post

I know China until 2013 did not allow people to take the Yuan banknotes and coins outside of the nation. Right now I only know of two nations that still enforce this which are Angola and Tunisia.
Officially - India, Cambodia, Vietnam, North Korea, Syria, Tunisia

Not officially... I brought some coins from India, Cambodia and Vietnam, and nobody asked about them at the border.
Quote: "ciscoins"​Officially - India, Cambodia, Vietnam, North Korea, Syria, Tunisia

​Not officially... I brought some coins from India, Cambodia and Vietnam, and nobody asked about them at the border.
​Forgot about North Korea. As for Cambodia they primarily accept the US Dollar.
Quote: "ciscoins"​Officially - India, Cambodia, Vietnam, North Korea, Syria, Tunisia

​Not officially... I brought some coins from India, Cambodia and Vietnam, and nobody asked about them at the border.
​Yes, i Took a lot from India... Some from Vietnam too.
JustforFun...
Quote: "JustforFun"
​​
​​Not officially... I brought some coins from India, Cambodia and Vietnam, and nobody asked about them at the border.
​​Yes, i Took a lot from India... Some from Vietnam too.
​As far as India is concerned, the Foreign Exchange Management Act (FEMA) states one can take upto USD5000 out of the country in cash while travelling else you have to declare it (and not sure what the procedure is thereafter). So there shouldn't be a problem as such. However, if you were carrying kilos of coins out of the country, it'd probably raise suspicion that you are commercially trading in these coins which technically is illegal.
Outings administrator
Quote: "ashlobo"​​​As far as India is concerned, the Foreign Exchange Management Act (FEMA) states one can take upto USD5000 out of the country in cash while travelling else you have to declare it

​I just wrote down an information from a Russian tourist database about customs rules in different countries. For India it says that foreign currency up to USD 5000 is allowed to be exported without declaring. But also it says that national currency is prohibited to import or export in any amounts.
A little bit off topic, but there are countries as Cape Verde where coins are become extremely rare. In some cases you can pay with euro's and you get euro coins back.
The cause of all this it's the little amount of coins that they struck all together with the tourists who take their coins out of the nation.

Due to this I do understand that countries try to avoid loss of currency, but I must to admit that I'm one of those "bad boys" who leave the country with pockets full of coins. May they caught me, than they can keep the coins. :)
Cents are money too!
They will put you in the chains and swallow the key, bad boy. :O
Quote: "Ghawk97"​I know China until 2013 did not allow people to take the Yuan banknotes and coins outside of the nation. Right now I only know of two nations that still enforce this which are Angola and Tunisia.
​I have to say, this one surprised me. Over 15 years ago, a friend of mine was working on the CINRAD (China New Generation Weather Radar) program, which meant he traveled to China a couple times for business. One day he opened his top desk draw, and I saw a bunch of Chinese notes and change (aluminum coins). He gave me this one:

He told me he was just going to give them to one of the group's managers, who had a small stack of bills left over from other trips, and which could be given to anyone going on future trips. They certainly weren't aware of any rules prohibiting Chinese currency from leaving the country.
I don't understand why some countries don't allow exporting coins and notes ?
Their production cost is usually lower than the face value, so the export balance would benefit of exporting coins ;)
Quote: "Steve27"
Quote: "Ghawk97"​I know China until 2013 did not allow people to take the Yuan banknotes and coins outside of the nation. Right now I only know of two nations that still enforce this which are Angola and Tunisia.
​​I have to say, this one surprised me. Over 15 years ago, a friend of mine was working on the CINRAD (China New Generation Weather Radar) program, which meant he traveled to China a couple times for business. One day he opened his top desk draw, and I saw a bunch of Chinese notes and change (aluminum coins). He gave me this one:

​He told me he was just going to give them to one of the group's managers, who had a small stack of bills left over from other trips, and which could be given to anyone going on future trips. They certainly weren't aware of any rules prohibiting Chinese currency from leaving the country.
​It was most likely one of those rules that were enforced in the 1970's when China first opened up to the West, but as time moved on it was slowly relaxed.
Quote: "ciscoins"
Quote: "ashlobo"​​​As far as India is concerned, the Foreign Exchange Management Act (FEMA) states one can take upto USD5000 out of the country in cash while travelling else you have to declare it

​​I just wrote down an information from a Russian tourist database about customs rules in different countries. For India it says that foreign currency up to USD 5000 is allowed to be exported without declaring. But also it says that national currency is prohibited to import or export in any amounts.
​Hmm, I haven't checked the rules in a while and you are probably right. Indian currency isn't valued elsewhere except in Nepal & Bhutan (maybe Myanmar & Sri Lanka too). So it never ever came up carrying Indian rupees in large quantities whenever i travelled :-)
Outings administrator
Most of my Tunisian coins have been brought to me from Tunisia, by Tunisian nationals
I haven't heard of any issues
Catalog Master Referee & Referee for UAE
https://www.instagram.com/amer.coins
Amer Salmeh
In Cambodia I bought coins and banknotes intended for the tourists. These were demonetized currencies. I also got a stack of non-demonetized banknotes of different denominations. No one seemed to care at the airport. I had a harder time getting change in Moscow at the airport.
Trade only within the US.

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 16:39.