Grade with your head, not with your heart

15 posts

» Quick access to the last post

I've recently gone through my collection and had a big sort-out of my collection and have gotten rid of everything below VF that I do not want to collect. Previously I have been going through an upgrade programme where I was trying to find better copies of my low grade coins. But then I realised that many of the low grade coins were really only in my collection because I had found them in a bulk lot and at the time I did not have one.

They weren't from an area that I was actively collecting, so why should I spend time trying to upgrade them rather than spending my money on buying new coins that I do not already have from an area that I do want to collect? So I went through my entire collection and removed anything that was below VF that was not from an area that I actively collect, I had to be ruthless and came up with around 100 coins, and it's looking like it's going to net me at least $500 to spend on nice new coins.

But the point of this thread is that while I was going through my collection I came across many coins that I had listed as VF which would really grade as F, and many coins I had put in as XF which were really VF. Some were just through inexperience, I had gotten the coin when I was just starting out collecting and didn't really grade right. But some of them were where there was a big catalogue value jump between the two grades and I had convinced myself that it really was VF rather than an F, or it was really XF because XF is worth so much more than VF. The only person you're really fooling with this is yourself. I would advise that when grading, we grade with our heads not our hearts. Grade the coin what it is rather than what you want it to be. And I would also suggest that you regularly go through your collection and have a good look at what you've graded your coins. You may be like me and have several there from when you started out and now with wiser eyes you can see the mistakes you have made.

Happy grading everyone.
This is such a good post, and something I think we've talked about in pm before.

I did the same, but I think these days I'm on the other end of the spectrum as in I'm a complete bastard when it comes to grading. It's good to be super critical when buying, and applying it to the coin once you've purchased it too.
This happens to me very often when I complete a swap and I have to place the new coins in my albums I take a look at all coins from that country/series/etc and sometimes I found coins that I graded so wrong. Not necessarily with intention but sometimes I am in hurry or I didn't take a proper look. It happens not just to overgrade but also to undergrade some coins. What I learned from this experiences? If I don't have the time or mood to place my coins in my storage it's better to push them away one hour, one day or as much time is needed to be focused. It's really frustrating when you do mistakes with your own coins even if it looks like it's not big deal. For example I might have the opportunity to upgrade one coin, so I check in what grade I already have the coin but if I made a mistake when I grade the coin then my decision to upgrade the coin might stop me to upgrade the coin thinking it's already good enough (related with the price) or to get a new coin in the same condition. So yes, I am agree with your statement "grade with your head, not with your heart" adding this " without rush".
I'm the same now, I'm dubious about giving a grade of XF, I usually go for VF+ and list it at the VF price. I hardly ever give a grade of UNC unless it has blazing luster and no marks whatsoever, usually even then I put them at AU. But many of my coins were from when I first started collecting some 8 years ago, they hadn't been scrutinized since then so they sat with the wrong grade (you can learn a lot about grading in 8 years)
Quote: "Andy289"​What I learned from this experiences? If I don't have the time or mood to place my coins in my storage it's better to push them away one hour, one day or as much time is needed to be focused.

​This is really good advice. A hobby should be savoured, not rushed
Sound advice mate.

I find myself continually revising earlier grades, up and down. For the coins in your collection you hit the nail on the head - you're only fooling yourself. I'd much rather have the benefit of accuracy than a false sense of achievement. If I'm looking to upgrade a slot I don't want to miss an opportunity because I fooled myself into thinking my current coin was better than it really was.

Many swap partners have asked for feedback on their grading attempts which I'm always happy to provide. I think it's a great idea and has far more value than grading guides. They have their uses but when you get down to that level of specificity then you run the risk of not seeing the forest for the trees. There's no better way to learn than by peer review. I'm pretty certain I can grade pre decimal UK coins from 1707 - 1967 with consistent accuracy. Other series or earlier coins.... well I just give it the old college try. Most of the US collectors are far beyond my meager skills when it comes to those difficult series like Washington quarters. It makes sense to learn from each other.
Non illegitimis carborundum est.  Excellent advice for all coins.
Make Numismatics Great Again!  
Very interesting post.

I agree with what is said, but would like to add that I prefer a problem-free VF coin over an EF, AU or UNC coin with a distracting rim bump or some other damage.

While grading is all-important to assess the monetary value of coins, collectors who are more interested in their historical value may find some lower grade coins desirable anyway. I have an interest in 19th-century Canadian merchant countermarks for their documentary and historical value. Many of these countermarks are on low-grade copper and silver coins, but this doesn't diminish their historical value. On the other hand, I would argue that the US and Canadian decimal series are of lower documentary value, and therefore low grade coins are much less desirable, especially if ones tries to collect an entire year-by-year set. Thus, my Canadian 1876-2012 cent collection is mostly EF or better.

As for fooling oneself with higher inaccurate grading, I'm sure we all know dealers who systematically overgrade their coins...
₱o$₮ag€ $₮am₱$ a₹€ mo₹€ £€₲i₮ima₮€ a$ a ƒo₹m oƒ ¢u₹₹€nc¥ ₮ha₦ ₮h€ €₦₮i₹€ "¢oi₦" ₱₹odu¢₮io₦ oƒ ₦au₹u o₹ ₦iu€. ••• £€$ ₮im฿₹€$-₱o$₮€ $o₦₮ ₱£u$ £é₲i₮im€$ €₦ ₮a₦t qu'o฿j€₮$ mo₦é₮ai₹€$ qu€ £a ₱₹odu¢₮io₦ €₦₮iè₹€ d€ «mo₦₦ai€$» d€ ₦au₹u ou d€ ₦iu€.
Yes grading is very important. But there are some coins that are kept for eye appeal . Me I have a lot just because I like the look of them. And then there are error's. Here is how I deal with error's
Error , wood grain, press though something or clogged die. VF. Yes I like to put that whole thing on the flip'
Here is the coin iam talking about. South African 2 cent 1989

I am asucker for wood gain coppers. But I know I need a lot of work on my grading. To me UK coins are very hard to grade . The more I learn , the less I know.
yours daryl
edit I hate AU and UNC. to me there is no meaning to them
It is, what it is, or is it.
Oh I forgot why I was posting. Iam sorry Neil my heart is in all of my coin collection. For grading I keep it simple for swaps . Go with G, VG, F , XF. And than there my bad images.
Yuck. Wood grain toning is just sooooo ugly. I've got a bunch of otherwise high grade KGV farthings which are cursed with that awful streaky toning. I didn't know you had a fetish for them, I'll send them up your way if you want them.
Yes Phil it is what you like and not like. Hey Phil I have Monday off will be sending you some stuff. I love the look of wood grain

But grading newer coins can be , well interesting . Like Iceland 1 Krona Km 23. All you can grade is if it a full pressing, and everything is readable. And to me the field is important. This series was made as fast and cheap as possible . So no two coins have the same weight or thickness. They are everywhere. I first thought they were verities . But it just the way the mint made them.
Did you get the two error coins?
Oh god Phil I did not PM you Yes thank you .
I don't mind the wood grain effect, although I prefer the deep chocolate coloured coppers.
This is why in 2006 I started going with 3rd party graded/certified coins. Grading seems to be way too subjective for the average collector.
If you don't stand for something you'll fall for anything

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 11:01.