What collections have you completed

31 posts

» Quick access to the last post

I collect by type, no varieties, just one of each KM number. The 10 areas I decided to concentrate on are New Zealand, New Zealand trade tokens, Australia, Fiji, Vatican City, Panama, USA, Canada, UK, and Malaysia historic coins (i.e. Malaya, British Borneo, Sarawak, Straits Settlements, etc)

So far I have 2 groups completed, Panama and Fiji. I hope to work on the others this year but focus on Vatican City and British North Borneo (a nice small one to complete)

What collections have you got complete?

What collections do you plan on focusing on completing?
I focus on 1900-date circulation coins non commemorative by type.

I have complete:

Bohemia and Moravia
Cayman Islands
Kyrgystan
Ruanda-Burundi

I have 33 countries with 5 or less coins missing.
I collect older silver commemorative coins mostly Europe and the US. I completed Austria recently (2, 25, 50, 100 schilling) and this year I want to focus more on the old US halves and a German States 2 and 3 mark type set.
Quote: "cncote10"​I collect older silver commemorative coins mostly Europe and the US. I completed Austria recently (2, 25, 50, 100 schilling) and this year I want to focus more on the old US halves and a German States 2 and 3 mark type set.
​I got my first US commemorative half dollar last year, it was the Columbus one, there's one that is on my hit list for this year though, this one

Quote: "Eerovisser"
​check my swap list, if I can help you finish the last bit of one of your 33 countries, I'll send it to you.
Taking a break from swapping for a while, but still interested in pre 1799 Spanish coins, I will make time for that!

Looking for pre 1783 coins
As I mainly focus on US coins, I am working on albums for all denominations. Not everything is complete yet, but...

i completed Jefferson nickels with proofs 1938-2005. I am waiting for more pages for the dansco to be released with the years written to continue.
I almost finished Lincoln cents with proof 1958-2009. Missing a couple proofs and the 1970 small date.
and almost finished the JFK half dollar with proof/ silver proofs 1964-2011. Missing most of the silver proof from 1992-2011.

I will be focusing on finishing those albums now.
Quote: "neilithic"
Quote: "cncote10"​I collect older silver commemorative coins mostly Europe and the US. I completed Austria recently (2, 25, 50, 100 schilling) and this year I want to focus more on the old US halves and a German States 2 and 3 mark type set.
​​I got my first US commemorative half dollar last year, it was the Columbus one, there's one that is on my hit list for this year though, this one

​I'm up to 8 though I don't have Columbus... that's a beauty! I'd like to get the two for my home state (Connecticut plus the Bridgeport half) I hope you get that Oregon trail piece!
I collect world coins by type, with primary focus on Europe and its colonies between 1900 and 1950 (plus or minus a few years on occassion). My fascination: Europe at its unstablest and the end of the colonial era.

Since I collect mainly for fun and have limited resources, I have excluded all coins with a catalogue value > $125 from my 'to get' list.

So far, I have 6 of my target countries complete:
  • Algeria (3 coins)
  • Croatia (1 coin)
  • Bohemia & Moravia (4 coins)
  • German Democratic Republic (4 coins)
  • Gebiet des Oberbefehlshabers Ost (3 coins)
  • Euzkadi (2 coins)

If I apply my rules strictly, I'm ready with Russian Caucasia, too, since all their coins are over $125 B.

Still 116 countries to go. Closest to completion, with only one coin to go:
  • Saarland (KM 3)
  • Israel (KM 8)
  • New Caledonia (KM 1)
  • St. Pierre & Miquelon (KM2)
  • Tonkin (KM 1)

Feel free to drop me a note if you think you can help!
I completed my Canadian Cents by date shortly after joining Numista. Still trying to get all VF's or better, leaving pretty much the expensive ones; 1858 and 1922 - 25. Certainly doable this year but, I'm a pretty frugal shopper.

I won't make 300 countries this year but I should get to 200 after starting with 20 about 18 months ago.

Lastly, Canadian Colonial Tokens. Recently swapped with Neil (including my 1st Blacksmith token and an Imitation Tiffin) and just seeing all the different sizes, metals, designs, and history has really peaked my interest. I'm even a co-referee for these now. Definitely a long term and expensive goal.
It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble.  It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so.  Mark Twain
Quote: "neilithic"​I collect by type, no varieties, just one of each KM number. The 10 areas I decided to concentrate on are New Zealand, New Zealand trade tokens, Australia, Fiji, Vatican City, Panama, USA, Canada, UK, and Malaysia historic coins (i.e. Malaya, British Borneo, Sarawak, Straits Settlements, etc)

​So far I have 2 groups completed, Panama and Fiji. I hope to work on the others this year but focus on Vatican City and British North Borneo (a nice small one to complete)

​What collections have you got complete?

​What collections do you plan on focusing on completing?
​Do you mean series or a complete country?
Countries aren't that easy to complete because they're strucking new coins all the time.
Former, no more existing, countries are easier to complete.
Cents are money too!
I completed a set of coins last year.
It is the Marshall Islands $50 coins, commemorating space travel. Each coin is .999 silver and follows the history of space flight. There are 26 coins in the collection, but only 24 spaces in the box, which is strange. I bought part of the set with the box, then slowly built up the remainder of the set, although the last two coins were difficult to find, but persistence paid off. Good old eBay.
Another collection I am trying to put together is a sterling silver collection that commemorates Queen Elizabeth II & Prince Philip's Golden Wedding.
Although I have many of them, that were issued by many countries across the Commonwealth, I am unable to obtain a complete list from anywhere, so may never know if I have them all, or still have some missing.
I'm just a collector of coins, not a slave to it, unless I am in a coin shop.
For all you banknote collectors. Link to my swap list.
https://colnect.com/en/banknotes/list/swap_list/COINMAN1
Quote: "Dutchgalego"Do you mean series or a complete country?
​Countries aren't that easy to complete because they're strucking new coins all the time.
​Former, no more existing, countries are easier to complete.
​I mean completing whatever it is you collect. I collect by type and pre-1945 coins only. So when I say I've completed Fiji and Panama, I mean I have one of each type up to 1945.

But you can share anything that you've completed, like state quarters, UK commemorative 50p coins, etc
Completed sets:
- US modern (1981-date) commemorative proof halves and $1s - only need to keep it up to date as new ones come out; typically, 3-5 coins/year, which isn't too bad compared to the amount of numismatic spam we see from many other countries
- US 50 state quarters (D and P mints)
- US territories quarters (D mint) - still missing a couple more Ps
- Soviet Union, 1961-1991 and 1991-1992 (Government Bank) circulating coins by type (minus circulating commemorative roubles)

Some sets that I'm pretty close to completing (mostly due to how few types they include):
- Japan circulating coins 1948-date (minus circulating commemoratives) - 19/20 types; only missing 500 Yen from the Heisei era
- Palestine - 8/10 types; missing 5 and 10 Mils in bronze
- French Oceania - 3/4 types

Currently focusing on:
- USSR 1924-1957 - 24/50 types
- Japan circulating decimal coinage 1870-1948 (except gold and the silver "trade dollar" yen) - 33/50-ish types

Some countries, even though I have a lot of types from, I will probably never complete simply due to how many types they've issued and are continuing to issue, even ignoring all the NCLTs *cough*Canada*cough*
HoH
Collection series that I have intentionally completed:
* US circulating types of the 20th century, except for gold and for ongoing type series like the National Park quarters.
* US 50 state quarters (I have every type, and I'm just missing three D mints from the territories).
* UK base metal predecimal typeset of the 20th century.
* Canadian small cent types (and I'm only missing one large cent type).

I have "accidentally" completed the typeset of circulating coins of Bohemia & Moravia (there are only four types). There might be others that I didn't even realize as well.
Well, today I did complete my Beatrix Potter 50p collection lol:

Phil :D
I completed former USSR nations, now I am trying to complete Europe and 300 coins.
​​I got my first US commemorative half dollar last year, it was the Columbus one, there's one that is on my hit list for this year though, this one

​Hey Neil,

It's funny how those US commemoratives grow on you eh?

https://en.numista.com/forum/topic27849.html
I have all coins from Slovakia 1993-2008, by type ( 8 types).
Also Portugal 1986-2001 without commemoratives (7 types total). It is listed as a separate period in ucoin.net, although not here in Numista.
ūūūūū
Quote: "Sanjuro2020"​=1emHey Neil,

​It's funny how those US commemoratives grow on you eh?

https://en.numista.com/forum/topic27849.html
​Yeah, I didn't used to like commemoratives, mainly because they put out so many these days that they're meaningless. But they have started to creep into my collection. They've got to be silver, older than 1945 and with a decent design though.

I've got a couple from New Zealand and Australia, one from the US, a couple from the Vatican, and maybe one or two more.
​​
​​It's funny how those US commemoratives grow on you eh?
​​
​​https://en.numista.com/forum/topic27849.html
​​Yeah, I didn't used to like commemoratives, mainly because they put out so many these days that they're meaningless. But they have started to creep into my collection. They've got to be silver, older than 1945 and with a decent design though.

​I've got a couple from New Zealand and Australia, one from the US, a couple from the Vatican, and maybe one or two more.

​Can't argue with that. I'm focusing on the early US Half dollar commems between 1892-1954. The Columbian was my first as well. My goal is to complete the 50 coin type set which includes the Isabella Quarter and the Lafayette Dollar.
Quote: "Sanjuro2020"

​​​
​​​It's funny how those US commemoratives grow on you eh?
​​​
​​​https://en.numista.com/forum/topic27849.html
​​​Yeah, I didn't used to like commemoratives, mainly because they put out so many these days that they're meaningless. But they have started to creep into my collection. They've got to be silver, older than 1945 and with a decent design though.
​​
​​I've got a couple from New Zealand and Australia, one from the US, a couple from the Vatican, and maybe one or two more.

​​Can't argue with that. I'm focusing on the early US Half dollar commems between 1892-1954. The Columbian was my first as well. My goal is to complete the 50 coin type set which includes the Isabella Quarter and the Lafayette Dollar.
​that's my goal as well... it's going to be a life long pursuit I reckon
I just completed (accidentally, from coins picked out of a bulk bin!) the type set of the German Papiermark, including the 3 mark without obverse legend and the rather scarce zinc 10 pfennig! Very chuffed about that! I had previously completed the Rentenmark type set (lucky find with the 50 Rentenpfennig), also. Small sets, but satisfying to complete.
Pre-war (preferably silver) commemoratives, any country is tolerable, but I'm looking to complete Austria's 1928-37 2 schillings, the Polish, Czechoslovak, Hungarian and Italian silver commemoratives from between the wars.

Also remarkable circulating coin sets from strange parts of the world, Kiau Chau, German New Guinea, etc.

Over 50 incomplete projects simultaneously ongoing as I type!
Having looked any collection that is nearing completion, I have found two areas that are close.
I have only one 2 Zlote coin missing. Stag Beetle.
The other is USA, commemorative silver dollars. I think I need 4 or 5 to be up to the end of 2016. Really love the quality and designs of these coins. I realise that it will never be complete as it is on-going
I'm just a collector of coins, not a slave to it, unless I am in a coin shop.
For all you banknote collectors. Link to my swap list.
https://colnect.com/en/banknotes/list/swap_list/COINMAN1
Thanks to Fluke and Phil I'll soon have completed the UK circulation coins of George VI (excluding Maundy and gold)
Quote: "neilithic"​Thanks to Fluke and Phil I'll soon have completed the UK circulation coins of George VI (excluding Maundy and gold)
​Gold didn't circulate in the UK past 1925.
What I meant was I would have everything for George VI except Maundy and gold.
Quote: "neilithic"​What I meant was I would have everything for George VI except Maundy and gold.
​Got it. Makes sense, Maundy coins weren't meant to circulate either. I don't think the George VI copper-nickel crown circulated either, for that matter (and the silver ones are debatable as I understand it).
I only collect up to 1945 so I don't have the cu-ni crown
Having recently found a free online copy of (most of) the Kleshchinov-Grishin catalog of wire money, I discovered, to my surprise, that I already have all the KG types of post-reform kopeks of Ivan IV as Grand Prince (i.e. from 1535-1547).
Which is to say, the four types from KG 73 to KG 76; the one kopek type listed on Numista that is attributed to this period (this one, KG 77) is actually somewhat later (as should be obvious from the legend, which mentions the post-1547 title "tsar").

I guess that's one part of my ongoing kopek type set that definitely doesn't need any additions anymore (another is 1926-2014, the small-size Soviet and Russian kopeks - I don't count patterns).
I'm also only missing a few minor varieties (mostly those I didn't realize were their own types) between 1810 and 1917; but I really need to upgrade many of those - most of that part of the set was acquired between 2009 and 2011, when I cared more about getting any example at all and less about quality, and many of those coins in my set are really ugly (and most can be significantly upgraded for $1-2, or perhaps even cheaper).

For the round coins of 1700-1809, I'm pretty much resigned that some types are just that rare.
I still think the 1724 and 1762 kopeks are probably better described as patterns (not sure about the 1713-4 and 1718 round silver kopeks), and I was lucky enough to get a really worn (and proportionally non-expensive) example of the 1727-8 Moscow kopek a few years back, but that still leaves the huge cloud kopek of 1755-7 (which I only have overstruck as 2 kopek) and the ring kopek of 1804-7 (which I don't have at all), both of which are $50+ coins.
And of course until recently I was satisfied with one type for Peter I copper kopeks (though they come up in bargain bins often enough that I might be able to get some other types anyway).
Note that all the "missing" types I'm talking about, except for two of the Peter I coppers, have Numista rarity of 100 - i.e. nobody else on Numista claims to have them either. (The Moscow kopek has 90, the two Peter I coppers have 92 and 97, and the "common" Peter I variety that I do own has 81.)

As for the wire kopeks of 1533-1717... well the 1533-5 (pre-reform) types are all sorts of very rare, and I already mentioned 1535-47.
After that, collecting by KG type rapidly becomes unfeasible because of sheer variety (and the occasional rare type); my current goal is to get at least one coin from each tsar, but due to some rather brief (and popular) reigns from the Time of Troubles (1605-12) I'm not very successful on that one either (still looking for False Dmitry and especially Vladislav for anything remotely resembling reasonable prices, and my only Vasily coin is a Swedish Novgorod issue from 1615-7 that I was lucky enough to find in a bargain bin).
One long-term goal here is a date set - at least one dated kopek from each year they were made. Most of them are pretty uncommon, though (the earlier bunch of dated kopeks was basically the Time of Troubles - including the brief reigns - and the Peter I coins just plain don't show the date all that often because they're so tiny).

You might have noticed that I left out 1918-25. This is because I'm still not sure whether the reeded and plain edge varieties of the 1924-5 large Soviet kopek are one type or two (I have the former but not the latter).

...Um, sorry for the wall of text. If that's any consolation, the original version of this post (eaten by my browser) was even longer.
Well it's not really complete but probably as complete as I'm going to get it ...

I don't imagine for one minute that I will ever be able to afford any of the Gold pieces but it would be nice if one day I could get a good deal on one of the 5s. crowns :love:
Just because you can't see it ... doesn't mean it isn't there - Anon.

Coin catalogue referee for England, United Kingdom & pre-Union South Africa.
Banknote catalogue referee for England & United Kingdom.

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 23:47.