Circulation Statistics >> Panama City, Florida, 9-11 January 2017

7 posts
I pulled 73 coins from everyday circulation in Panama City, FL from 9-11 January, 2017. This includes a few coins I found in the airports in Washington DC and Houston TX along the way.

The 10% oldest coins were from 1984 or earlier. Oldest is 1960.

The median date was 2014.

Coins dated 2016 were 44% of all coins. (Why is that?)

59% were from Denver, and 41% were from Philadelphia.

Cents:
33 shields (66%)
13 zinc memorials (26%)
4 copper memorials (8%)

Nickels:
3 Franki portrait (60%)
2 Schlag portrait (40%)

Quarters:
8 parks (53%, all 2016s)
6 states (40%)
1 eagle (7%)
Quote: "Cerulean"​Coins dated 2016 were 44% of all coins. (Why is that?)

​How many cents were dated 2016?

(And there's no dime at all?)
₱o$₮ag€ $₮am₱$ a₹€ mo₹€ £€₲i₮ima₮€ a$ a ƒo₹m oƒ ¢u₹₹€nc¥ ₮ha₦ ₮h€ €₦₮i₹€ "¢oi₦" ₱₹odu¢₮io₦ oƒ ₦au₹u o₹ ₦iu€. ••• £€$ ₮im฿₹€$-₱o$₮€ $o₦₮ ₱£u$ £é₲i₮im€$ €₦ ₮a₦t qu'o฿j€₮$ mo₦é₮ai₹€$ qu€ £a ₱₹odu¢₮io₦ €₦₮iè₹€ d€ «mo₦₦ai€$» d€ ₦au₹u ou d€ ₦iu€.
Quote: "Camerinvs"
Quote: "Cerulean"​Coins dated 2016 were 44% of all coins. (Why is that?)

​​How many cents were dated 2016?

​(And there's no dime at all?)
​About 20 of the cents were specifically 2016.

All the dimes I found were the same type of normal ones. No need to report them.
Though the sample is not large enough to talk about statistics, it is larger with regard to the cents than the nickels and quarters, and it may be meaningful that about 40% of them were 2016. This suggests that people don't even bother to reuse them and, presumably, they just hoard them at home in jars. So, there's always going to be a shortage of cents, which explains why the US Mint needs to strike over 9 billion (9,000,000,000 !!) cents per year at a huge deficit.

If you or anyone else in the US were willing to set aside your "pennies" for exactly a month and tell us the date range in that "one-month jar", it would be very interesting...
₱o$₮ag€ $₮am₱$ a₹€ mo₹€ £€₲i₮ima₮€ a$ a ƒo₹m oƒ ¢u₹₹€nc¥ ₮ha₦ ₮h€ €₦₮i₹€ "¢oi₦" ₱₹odu¢₮io₦ oƒ ₦au₹u o₹ ₦iu€. ••• £€$ ₮im฿₹€$-₱o$₮€ $o₦₮ ₱£u$ £é₲i₮im€$ €₦ ₮a₦t qu'o฿j€₮$ mo₦é₮ai₹€$ qu€ £a ₱₹odu¢₮io₦ €₦₮iè₹€ d€ «mo₦₦ai€$» d€ ₦au₹u ou d€ ₦iu€.
I have thought the same thing about cents. It seems 1 in 4 purchases the pennies you receive come directly from a fresh roll from the bank. Of the cents I have in pocket change right now 5 out of 9 are 2016. (two appear to have circulated some, the other 3 appear I am the first individual to own)
Yes a lot of our 1 cent coins are new. But I would say 40% are not. But my odd little city is different. Here are some I got this month.

I think I roll like 2 to 3 dollars a month. Wheaties , copper , zinc , Then new ones. But keep all my 1 cent coins, Why, I don't know.But in the last 30 days I have gotten about 15 to 20 territories quarters. That is even odd for here
It is, what it is, or is it.

District of Columbia
D 5
P 2
Samoa
D 2
P 3
Porto Rico
D 2
P 1
Guam
P 2
Mariana island
P 2
That is 19 of the territories. and I got. And 63 parks quarters. Not bad from Dec on
edit sorry Cerlean for high jacking your post
It is, what it is, or is it.

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 09:50.