I Phone and Android app

6 posts

This message aims at: suggesting an idea to improve Numista

Upvotes: 4
Downvotes: 0
Not too sure if this has been discussed. I went through about 6 pages of the forum conversations and I couldnt see any discussion about it. Is there any plan to make this brilliant site into an app. I think that it would be a great addition.
It has phone view version, and I am not sure what would app could do more? Notifs? You can get them on email easily.
Catalogue administrator
A responsive website is not the same thing like an application that might be more easy to use being developed around mobile accessibilities. On some mobile phones a responsive website is not always enough. For example, I've never made a swap on Numista using my mobile phone simply because I think it's a pain. On the other hand a mobile application it's justified just if there is a major interest in this area. Probably most of us use Numista at home where we already have a PC and rarely at work and on the road.
I would use constantly an app version of this website with the catalogue alone, especially when I am out hunting for coins! Coin info like years, mintages, main varieties and rarity would be nice.
Logging in and showing me which coins and years I already have would be ideal.
Apart from being extremely helpful I guess that such an app would also attract many new users who are after cataloguing and looking up coins alone, even if not swapping.
My initial purpose when I joined numista was to look up coins and catalogue my collection, and eventually got into swapping.
I can ask Xavier about it. Do not expect anything...
Catalogue administrator
For me, the website works perfectly on my phone. I honestly don't see any major benefits one would get having an app designed specifically for a phone, well, a smartphone to be correct. I don't think anyone wants full Numista database to be downloaded to their device. As data resides on Numista servers, you need data plan to "use" it be it in the app or on the website. It will take enormous time to create these apps, even one app. But as there are 2 major platforms, ANDROID and that iPhony thingy, if there is only one app available each group of users will "demand" an app for their platform of choice. A website adopted for mobile devices is the way to go and Numista does that if not perfectly than pretty close. I'd rather see time and effort that would be spent on these apps spent on improving/adding more useful Numista features.
Status changed to Rejected (Xavier, 9-Feb-2019, 17:01)

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 16:29.