Menu

Hello!! I need help with this green spots

Emiliano01
Hello, some months ago I received a large collection with silver coins, most of them in excellent conditions..

But they were stored in one of those German albums which make green spots!!! 

I have already removed them from the pages, but I want to know if although I move them to a capsule, the green spots will grow more??

These are two examples:

This one is not easy to spot, the spots are not very visible
apuking
Thats PVC damage.
try to have it removed with Acetone.
Pre 1900 Quality Coins, Medals and Tokens only.
Steve27
In addition to soaking those coins in acetone, I would also soak any other coins which came out of that album as well. In case you're not familiar with using acetone, you need to use a glass jar/container (acetone will dissolve plastic).
Emiliano01
Quote: "Steve27"​In addition to soaking those coins in acetone, I would also soak any other coins which came out of that album as well. In case you're not familiar with using acetone, you need to use a glass jar/container (acetone will dissolve plastic).
​Hello Steve27, first i rubbed of with a cotton rag all i could without damaging the coin, i just have to soak them in acetone? For how many time? The album came with many pre-1950's coins in excelent grade wich are worth some money, copper and silver, will the acetone change the patina or destroy it??

The same has happened to a proof coin, should i treat it the same??

Thank you!!
apuking
Acetone should not harm your coins patina
Pre 1900 Quality Coins, Medals and Tokens only.
Emiliano01
Quote: "apuking"​Acetone should not harm your coins patina
​Thank you Apuking, i will try with two cheap coins, it would be a shame to gave them a dark tone for a UNC coin
Steve27
Quote: "Emiliano01"
Quote: "Steve27"​In addition to soaking those coins in acetone, I would also soak any other coins which came out of that album as well. In case you're not familiar with using acetone, you need to use a glass jar/container (acetone will dissolve plastic).
​​Hello Steve27, first i rubbed of with a cotton rag all i could without damaging the coin, i just have to soak them in acetone? For how many time? The album came with many pre-1950's coins in excelent grade wich are worth some money, copper and silver, will the acetone change the patina or destroy it??

​The same has happened to a proof coin, should i treat it the same??

​Thank you!!
​Acetone is safer on coins than water. The biggest problem you may have is damage caused by the PVC, which cannot be fixed.

Dato Mikeladze
​Where  your advise  was  15 years ago... when I used acetone  in plastic jar to clean 1762 Angola 5 macutas...   and I killed my coin  :(

thanks god that there are  people who  are not   lazy to   give  advises.
thanks !
 best
D
Numista referee for  Belgian Congo, Congo free state, East Africa, Egypt, Georgia, Katanga, Kenya, Libya, Ruanda-Burundi, Ruanda-Urundi, Seychelles, South Sudan, Sudan
Emiliano01
Today i will try it on a 1 peso coin 1957 in UNC condition

These are some examples of the coins that will need the acetone treatment (among almost 100 coins)

50 centavos (revolutionary)  1915 Zapatista issue in Morelos KM#703 NUMISTA Rarity Index: 95

5 Pesos (Southeastern Railroad) 1950 KM#466 NUMISTA Rarity Index: 59

1 Peso 1872 KM#408 NUMISTA Rarity Index: 53

1 Onza 1985 (Silver Bullion) KM#494 NUMISTA Rarity Index:25           

500 Pesos (Commemorative issue: 75th anniversary of the revolution) 1985 PROOF KM# 511 NRI: 84

I really hope this works, thank you!!!

GSDykes
I agree with the above advice - soak in acetone all of the coins (including proofs). The green seems to be PVC damage, however most of the coins you pictured have some copper mixed in. The green may be corrosion damage via the copper content. If so the acetone may not remove it.  Copper may respond to a mild acid (not hydrochloric).  I would try using plain old ketchup (a tomato paste). Just soak the coin in ketchup for about 3 minutes and then gently clean. Experiment with a low value coin. But FIRST try the acetone.
Gary in Washington State
Mr. G. S. Dykes
ANA #3179303
WBCC #578
Emiliano01
Quote: "GSDykes"​I agree with the above advice - soak in acetone all of the coins (including proofs). The green seems to be PVC damage, however most of the coins you pictured have some copper mixed in. The green may be corrosion damage via the copper content. If so the acetone may not remove it.  Copper may respond to a mild acid (not hydrochloric).  I would try using plain old ketchup (a tomato paste). Just soak the coin in ketchup for about 3 minutes and then gently clean. Experiment with a low value coin. But FIRST try the acetone.
​Gary in Washington State
​I will use "Pure acetone" wich i can buy in a drugstore, then damage is not so bad, so i hope no other methods should be used, i once tried the ketchup method with bronze, and results where a pink coin, not very nice to sight, i will update this thread with the results.

Thank you!

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 08:55PM.