Canadian providence coins?

7 posts
Can anyone tell me where or if I can find this?

the obverse reads:
province du bas canada
un sou
the reverse:
bank token half penny 1837
concordia salus (in the circle)
city bank (on the ribbon)

I know it says token, but I'm sure I seen a coin that was similar on one coin page (maybe Lower Canada, before they were merged) but I can't find it now.
I believe this is what you are looking for...

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces2540.html
Numista referee for coins from Netherlands and United Arab Emirates, and for exonumia from United States.
Thats it. Thank you.

anybody have an idea what its worth?
I also have one of these, as well as one of these:
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces15316.html

I see that they both say "token", but can anyone explain what these Canadian province things are? Were they never intended for use as coins?
Yes, they were used as currency. Why they are called tokens ? That I truly don't know, I never even wondered about that...
Si tu cognes ta tête contre une cruche et que ça sonne creux, ce n'est pas forcément la cruche... lollll mon proverbe préféré !
I could be wrong, but I think these were issued by independant banks instead of the government. As such, they would be labeled tokens to avoid conflict from the government.
This is my theory, and it is the best explaination that I can think of (but again I could be wrong).
Maybe someone eles can enlighten us farther
Quote: ctuckerI could be wrong, but I think these were issued by independant banks instead of the government. As such, they would be labeled tokens to avoid conflict from the government.
This is my theory, and it is the best explaination that I can think of (but again I could be wrong).
Maybe someone eles can enlighten us farther
 this is correct, they were issued by Banks during hard times for the Gov.

Here is a quote from a dealer, and its true for mine, "for some reason they almost always come holed or heavily worn, I once heard that they are frequently holed because people used to nail them to walls. I have no idea if that is true or not"

Here is an article on them.
Taking a break from swapping for a while, but still interested in pre 1799 Spanish coins, I will make time for that!

Looking for pre 1783 coins

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 13:07.