Menu

Help me please with Russian 1 kopek 1957

5 posts
How can I know if is it Rare or not? There are twos in catalog and boths are same .. help me someone please ...thnx

Sorry to disappoint you, but you have a more common Y# 119, Schön# 68.

The two types of coins differ by the number of ribbons on wreath. The Y# 112, Schön# 61 has 8 on the left-hand side and 7 on the right-hand side ribbons (16 total including the bottom one) on wreath; while Y# 119, Schön# 68 has 7 ribbons on each side of the wreath (15 total including the bottom one).

Sincerely,
chaosharvard
Quote: "chaosharvard"​Sorry to disappoint you, but you have a more common Y# 119, Schön# 68.

​The two types of coins differ by the number of ribbons on wreath. The Y# 112, Schön# 61 has 8 on the left-hand side and 7 on the right-hand side ribbons (16 total including the bottom one) on wreath; while Y# 119, Schön# 68 has 7 ribbons on each side of the wreath (15 total including the bottom one).

​Sincerely,
​chaosharvard
​oh waw thank you very much good to know .. so i have that one with 15 ribbons .. thank you
Specifically, the ribbons correspond to the constituent republics of the Soviet Union, and every time there was a reorganization that changed the number of those republics, the ribbon count also changed.

The last such change was in 1956/57 (Karelia integrated into Russia, IIRC), which happened to occur the year before the big coinage reform (which is why the 1957 coins are a one-year type). There were no more big reorganizations prior to 1991, which is why the 1961-1991 coinage has the same types all the way.

I agree that the 11-16-15 ribbon types pretty much look all the same at a glance - especially the 16 and 15 (the earlier 7 ribbon coins are a bit more obvious, due to the very wide ribbons, but still quite similar).
Quote: "January First-of-May"​Specifically, the ribbons correspond to the constituent republics of the Soviet Union, and every time there was a reorganization that changed the number of those republics, the ribbon count also changed.

​The last such change was in 1956/57 (Karelia integrated into Russia, IIRC), which happened to occur the year before the big coinage reform (which is why the 1957 coins are a one-year type). There were no more big reorganizations prior to 1991, which is why the 1961-1991 coinage has the same types all the way.

​I agree that the 11-16-15 ribbon types pretty much look all the same at a glance - especially the 16 and 15 (the earlier 7 ribbon coins are a bit more obvious, due to the very wide ribbons, but still quite similar).
​thank you .. still something new for my coins knowledge ... hehe
Topic locked (Numista Robot, 24-Jan-2019, 12:08AM)

Used time zone is UTC+2:00.
Current time is 05:21PM.