Great Britain 1825 1 Farthing (5 with no upright stroke) [solved]

7 posts
OK I know nothing about Farthings so would this description be correct?
I believe the Farthing would grade EF.

Those who believe they can do something and those who believe they can't are both right.
- Henry Ford
I forgot I posted this back in January.
Those who believe they can do something and those who believe they can't are both right.
- Henry Ford
Here is a link to the 1825 page of my favorite Farthing website.

http://aboutfarthings.co.uk/Farthing%20-%201825.html
Referee for Pre-Euro Ireland
Quote: "muygrandeoso"​Here is a link to the 1825 page of my favorite Farthing website.

http://aboutfarthings.co.uk/Farthing%20-%201825.html
That is a nice site - very informative. I don't see anything there to indicate my 5 is of anything. Thanks Ed​
- Henry Ford
Hey Ed could that be a 3 and not a 5? I know there was a 1823 farthing.
It is, what it is, or is it.
I just received the same coin in similar condition from our Forum President Neil, so I have an in hand specimen to compare. I've graded my example VF+ but yours is ever so slightly better so I'd guess it warrants a place in the EF ranks, -EF to be precise.

Modern (in numismatic terms) coin dies are composite affairs and the date / exergue field the most commonly retooled. Every year in fact :) It's particularly noticeable on coins prior to about 1850. The last two digits are often noticeably misaligned or of a slightly different size / font. No point throwing out a perfectly good die with several thousand strikes left on it when you can just rework the date.

I would suggest that the poorly engraved "5" is due to the master engravers being busy creating the wonderful main designs and that the simpler, more mundane tasks such as date changes were given to the less skilled apprentices or in the case of provincial mints, whoever wasn't busy.
Non illegitimis carborundum est.  Excellent advice for all coins.
Make Numismatics Great Again!  
Thanks Phil - that sounds about right. I know many members collect these Farthings and this one I came across just looked different. Thanks for the logical reasoning for the misfit 5. Ed
- Henry Ford

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 10:19.