Menu

Things are not always what they look like [solved]

edduns
Straits Settlements 1900 5 Cents

Most members know I like error coins and keep an eye out for them. Well I seen this coin and he did say there was no patina and he thought it was cleaned. The pictures he posted caught my eye so I bought it for $3.00. When I received the coin I no longer seen the errors (face of Victoria). (The 5 extra metal was there and I cleaned the black on it) that caught my eye.

The picture on the left is mine and on the right is his. I believe he used a lot of Photo Shop.

Raising tax money is all about plucking the most feathers off of the goose with the least amount of squawking," The lottery is the best way to do that."
MonaSeaclaid
I'm not sure about the errors but I'm definitely seeing some differences there. For example on yours I see a scar on Victoria's eye that I just can't find in the seller photos. There are a few other things like that too.
I wrote something clever here.
edduns
Quote: "MonaSeaclaid"​I'm not sure about the errors but I'm definitely seeing some differences there. For example on yours I see a scar on Victoria's eye that I just can't find in the seller photos. There are a few other things like that too.
I believe it has to do with the lighting he shot with and all the Photo Shop garbage he did to the coin.
I believe it is the same coin because of the damage to the 5 - hard to find another one like that.​
Raising tax money is all about plucking the most feathers off of the goose with the least amount of squawking," The lottery is the best way to do that."
MonaSeaclaid
I'm saying that I'm inclined to agree. There's something weird going on here, photoshop seems like the most likely explanation.

That 5 is definitely still very interesting, and I still think the coin is very nice, but it has to be disappointing to have dealt with such a shady character. I'm sorry it's not the coin you expected and wanted.
I wrote something clever here.

Used time zone is UTC+2:00.
Current time is 08:17PM.