Advanced Expert Canada Penny Collector Needed for Questions!

7 posts
Hi,

I have some questions about two checklists that I am using to put together both Canada Large Cents and Canada Small Cents. Right now, I am attempting to complete my Canada Small Cent Collection. Is there an expert on this Forum that could confirm the existence of coins on my Small Cent checklist that I cannot find or help me fix the checklist to eliminate any listing errors. I need someone who has every Canada penny ever minted or very close to having them all. I would like to see photos of coins that I am missing, and discuss how to identify them with an expert who has spent hours researching Canada pennies and putting a collection together. Does anyone fit that description on this coin Forum?

I am not collecting Canada pennies on a date by date bases, but rather attempting to get all Mint strike variations too. I am also collecting most or the errors or varieties in the same way. Below are some hard questions that this person could help me with.

Do you have a list of every penny ever minted in Canada, and all the varieties in all of the various mint strike types. For instance, I am collecting Business Strikes in Gem BU Red taken from bank rolls, Proof-Like pennies cut from regular mint sets, Specimen Strike pennies popped out of deluxe double dollar and double penny sets and other similar type sets, and Proof strikes taken from Proof sets starting in 1981.

I am not going to be able to collect everything, and certainly not going to be putting together a Gem BU Red Large Cent collection, but I will be getting whatever I can from 1937 onward minus some real high end extremely rare and costly pennies, but I still need someone who knows what exists and what does not exists because they have either seen them or own them. I would like to see photos whenever possible when a penny exists that I cannot find for sale.

For all pennies dating from 1964-1965, 1967, 1969 to 1995, how do you tell the difference between a penny that came from a PL Set and one that came from a Specimen Set if both mint strike types have mirror finishes? For PL pennies, I purchased only coins cut from PL sets and still sealed in cellophane, but for Specimen, I had to get them in huge lots in flips. These are popped out of sets, and not cut from sets. I just need an easy diagnostic to tell the difference between them, so I can confirm them as rarer Specimen and not PL strikes being sold as Specimen Strikes.

That is enough for now, but I do have more questions that only a true Canada penny expert can answer. Please answer my questions above if you are that person. I am at a point that I need help from someone who knows their stuff very well.

Thanks.
Hello,

I don't consider myself an "expert" by any means but, I do have every Canadian Cent by date (1858 - 2012).

My only real suggestion is to get the Charlton Standard Catalogue, Canadian Coins.

Finishes
Being a date collector, I am not concerned with the finish. The catalogue has a good description of the many different finishes and where one might find them (sets, singles, etc.)

Varieties
They appear to cover every possibility including "ONLY ONE CERTIFIED" and of course, the 1936 Dot of which only 3 in Specimen condition have been authenticated despite the supposedly official mintage of approximately 700,000.

Grading
I think these tables will be helpful as they show pricing for MS, SP, PL, and PR by variety. But, if you can tell the difference between a MS-65 (Red/C) vs. a MS-65 (Red/NC), then my hat is off to you.

Also, since you are only working on Cents, you can probably acquire an older catalogue (post 2012 of course) and save yourself some money.

Hoping this is helpful.

Kind Regards, Peter
It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble.  It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so.  Mark Twain
I seen one cheap on eBay, and was thinking of getting it. I was at the coin show the other day, and they only had the second part of the new book. The pennies are in the first part, but most people collect Canada Dollars, so they did not have it. Living in the United States has made this collection very difficult, but also rewarding at times as I have found great deals on pennies highly valued in Canada, but overlooked here.

I like the your coin section on this Forum. I do not have a digital camera that can take clear photos of coins, but I do have a scanner. The photos would not be as nice as others have posted, but I will start posting photos of all my Canada pennies once I get some time.

Thanks.
You might find this link useful
http://www.coinsandcanada.com/coins.php
I collect coins and tokens which circulated in Africa from 18th century to 2000. I sell about 7000 illustrated world coins from http://www.avscoins.com.
For the 67" pennies the specimen ones have WAY more polished fields than the PL ones, that's frankly the only way i know to check... look up a 67 proof dollar and a 67 PL dollar you will see what i mean.
I collect anything: If it's Italian or Italian states i collect it even more!
Quote: "pennyhunter"​...I do have more questions that only a true Canada penny expert can answer. Please answer my questions above if you are that person.

​I don't think you can easily find such a person or even most of the information in one place. As far as I know nobody managed to put all info in one place yet and there is quite a discrepancy on what really exists (or doesn't) - especially when it comes to endless and mixed-up finish variations and errors/mint varieties. Canadian catalog (Charlton) doesn't list all the variants, too and it definitely doesn't give you any tell-tale signs on how to tell the difference.
So, the only way for you is to became such expert yourself...;)
There is a time for everything - Il y a un temps pour tout - Всему есть свое время - Для всього свій час, і година своя кожній справі під небом
Again I refer you to Colonial Acres retail website. Within that site you will find a listing for every year of Canadian penny and a large amount of varieties and the different finishes that they are available in for each specific year. They even give you a Canadian retail value!
https://www.colonialacres.com/category-s/355.htm
You also need to buy both Carlton catalogs since the second contains the info on the specimen and proof coins.

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 22:54.