Menu

1974 Virgin Islands 1 dollar wrong weight!

Nas
Hello :)
i have this coin and wonder what wrong.
weight should be 24.9 g . and mine 22.0 g!

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces3397.html

Any thoughts or help with this would be greatly appreciated thanks.

aaronmgd
silly question - Is your scale calibrated?
Courtesy is the one coin you can never have too much of or be stingy with.

Coin collecting is the only hobby where you can spend all your money and still have some left.
Nas
Quote: "aaronmgd"​silly question - Is your scale calibrated?
​yes it is. 100%
glykan
One possible explanation is that your coin is not 0.925 silver KM#6a (which according to Krause should weight 25.7 g) but copper-nickel KM#6. Though Krause doesn't bother to give the weight of the copper-nickel version, I've seen it before with other crown-sized modern coins - the non-silver versions are significantly lighter.
Look at the color of the coin (it's difficult to judge by your picture) - silver versions are usually more whitish-silverish whereas copper-nickel versions are usually a bit darker with "nickelish" color to it.
aaronmgd
Very possible numista has it wrong...
Courtesy is the one coin you can never have too much of or be stingy with.

Coin collecting is the only hobby where you can spend all your money and still have some left.
Nas
Quote: "glykan"​One possible explanation is that your coin is not 0.925 silver KM#6a (which according to Krause should weight 25.7 g) but copper-nickel KM#6. Though Krause doesn't bother to give the weight of the copper-nickel version, I've seen it before with other crown-sized modern coins - the non-silver versions are significantly lighter.
​Look at the color of the coin (it's difficult to judge by your picture) - silver versions are usually more whitish-silverish whereas copper-nickel versions are usually a bit darker with "nickelish" color to it.
​thanks glykan for info. I believe my coin is copper nickel . i bought last year from ebay . and its looks like not silver .
Nas
Quote: "aaronmgd"​Very possible numista has it wrong...
​thanks aaronmgd. I had weight with two different scales. And same weight !
Essor Prof
​I've just checked several older editions of Krause but there isn't any edition where the weight of the copper-nickel dollar is mentioned. I also can't find it anywhere on the internet. So I don't know where the weight of this coin in our catalog comes from, it might indeed be wrong.
I only have a silver dollar, not a copper nickel one so I can't check it, but as you can see here (https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces3397.html) Andrey78 has one on his swap list. You can send him a message and ask if he can weigh his coin.
Nas
Quote: "Essor Prof"
​​I've just checked several older editions of Krause but there isn't any edition where the weight of the copper-nickel dollar is mentioned. I also can't find it anywhere on the internet. So I don't know where the weight of this coin in our catalog comes from, it might indeed be wrong.
​I only have a silver dollar, not a copper nickel one so I can't check it, but as you can see here (https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces3397.html) Andrey78 has one on his swap list. You can send him a message and ask if he can weigh his coin.
​thanks @Essor prof. i haven't noticed someone here have the same coin.
I will send pm to andrey78 and will see.

Used time zone is UTC+2:00.
Current time is 01:23PM.