Additions to your collection - the May 2017 edition

78 posts

» Quick access to the last post

Hello all,

I just won this very nice "Ships Colonies & Commerce" token on eBay (dealer's pics):

It is in a very decent grade, though not the highest, and I love the dark patina. So I have both American flag varieties: with W&B NY (this one) and without.

I looked for it in the catalogue but couldn't find it.
₱o$₮ag€ $₮am₱$ a₹€ mo₹€ £€₲i₮ima₮€ a$ a ƒo₹m oƒ ¢u₹₹€nc¥ ₮ha₦ ₮h€ €₦₮i₹€ "¢oi₦" ₱₹odu¢₮io₦ oƒ ₦au₹u o₹ ₦iu€. ••• £€$ ₮im฿₹€$-₱o$₮€ $o₦₮ ₱£u$ £é₲i₮im€$ €₦ ₮a₦t qu'o฿j€₮$ mo₦é₮ai₹€$ qu€ £a ₱₹odu¢₮io₦ €₦₮iè₹€ d€ «mo₦₦ai€$» d€ ₦au₹u ou d€ ₦iu€.
I don't usually participate in this thread but I like this coin very much.

Quote: "Tovarich"​I don't usually participate in this thread but I like this coin very much.

​Well done! Nice coin. I've posted the same coin in April's edition of the post, feel free to check it out :)
ROMAE AETERNAE
Beautiful. I'm buying up some aussie silver at the moment, but it's not really an addition to my collection, just building up some silver either for re-sale or trading later on if I can be bothered
Quote: "Camerinvs"​Hello all,

​I just won this very nice "Ships Colonies & Commerce" token on eBay (dealer's pics):

​It is in a very decent grade, though not the highest, and I love the dark patina. So I have both American flag varieties: with W&B NY (this one) and without.

​I looked for it in the catalogue but couldn't find it.
​Very nice. In catalog here https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces82399.html
It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble.  It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so.  Mark Twain
Hi Peter,

Oh! I see. They were all grouped together. Thanks!

In my opinion, however, we should restore the American flag tokens to Lower Canada, where they belong. It was rather unwise on the part of the Charlton editors to move them to PEI just because it's easier to find them that way. #HistoricalAccuracyMatters

Here is how it was presented in the 1978 Charlton catalogue:

Don't look at the values!! :o

Note that images for #125 and 126 are inverted.
₱o$₮ag€ $₮am₱$ a₹€ mo₹€ £€₲i₮ima₮€ a$ a ƒo₹m oƒ ¢u₹₹€nc¥ ₮ha₦ ₮h€ €₦₮i₹€ "¢oi₦" ₱₹odu¢₮io₦ oƒ ₦au₹u o₹ ₦iu€. ••• £€$ ₮im฿₹€$-₱o$₮€ $o₦₮ ₱£u$ £é₲i₮im€$ €₦ ₮a₦t qu'o฿j€₮$ mo₦é₮ai₹€$ qu€ £a ₱₹odu¢₮io₦ €₦₮iè₹€ d€ «mo₦₦ai€$» d€ ₦au₹u ou d€ ₦iu€.
Quote: "druzhynets"
Quote: "Tovarich"​I don't usually participate in this thread but I like this coin very much.
​​
​​
​​Well done! Nice coin. I've posted the same coin in April's edition of the post, feel free to check it out :)
​Yours has a tad more detail it looks like, Very nice. Looks like you have KM 11 and I have 11a. I guess 11a is slightly thicker? Since it shows a slightly different weight. Identical otherwise. Well done for both of us!
And now this:

:love:

The Devins & Bolton countermark is on a 1749 British ½penny. The two Newfoundland 10¢ are quite scarce, especially the 1876H (mintage 10,000 !!).
Quote: "Tovarich"
Quote: "druzhynets"

​​​
​​​
​​​Well done! Nice coin. I've posted the same coin in April's edition of the post, feel free to check it out :)
​​Yours has a tad more detail it looks like, Very nice. Looks like you have KM 11 and I have 11a. I guess 11a is slightly thicker? Since it shows a slightly different weight. Identical otherwise. Well done for both of us!

Oh yes, we have two different KM types indeed! Mine weighs 15 g, while yours weighs 20 g. Fantastic coins. How much did it cost to buy one?
ROMAE AETERNAE
I bought that for 96$ US. It happened to be the rarer of the 2 years for 11a so it's about twice as expensive as the 1937 would be.
Do we post things we have gotten recently? (as in May I suppose =) ) Apologies I have not labeled most of them!

In that case, Orders of missing countries arrived today! I love the animals so much! Very biased towards them! It wasn't even intentional that they were ALL animal
coins. I spread them out and had a chuckle when I realized it! When I get all 200+ of the modern countries and territories I might go back and attempt to switch over as many of my featured coins to animals as possible. Minus whatever country that never used animals but I bet you'd be hard pressed to find somewhere modern that has never utilized a type of animal/fish/bug whatever on a coin!

Quote: "Tovarich"​I bought that for 96$ US. It happened to be the rarer of the 2 years for 11a so it's about twice as expensive as the 1937 would be.
​Well, 11a is in my wish list ;)
ROMAE AETERNAE
Quote: "Cricket"Minus whatever country that never used animals but I bet you'd be hard pressed to find somewhere modern that has never utilized a type of animal/fish/bug whatever on a coin!
That would be Sweden. :P I don't think Sweden ever had any anmals at all on its coins. Just the King's head or his monogram on the obverse, and the denomination on the reverse.
Coin referee for: AZE, FRO, GRL, US-HI, KOR, KGZ, MLI, MHL, MMR, PRK, UZB, SML, TAT, TWN, TJK
Banknote referee for: AGO, AZE, BLR, ECS, GEO, HTI, KAZ, KGZ, KOR, MNG, MRT, PMR, PRK, ROK, SWE, TJK, TKM, TUR, UZB, WSM, ZWE
Quote: "ngdawa"
Quote: "Cricket"Minus whatever country that never used animals but I bet you'd be hard pressed to find somewhere modern that has never utilized a type of animal/fish/bug whatever on a coin!
​That would be Sweden. :P I don't think Sweden ever had any anmals at all on its coins. Just the King's head or his monogram on the obverse, and the denomination on the reverse.
​The most animal'ish coin from Sweden will be the silver 1 and 2 krona coins from Oscar II with two heraldic lions holding the shield ... that also contains 2 lions ... that's 4 in total (a group of random male lions seems to be called a "coalition")
this might be the easiest one to obtain: https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces5049.html
Just call me Bram

Oh! And do read my profile page before you open a swap ...
Ah yeah, I didn't think about the CoA. z)
Coin referee for: AZE, FRO, GRL, US-HI, KOR, KGZ, MLI, MHL, MMR, PRK, UZB, SML, TAT, TWN, TJK
Banknote referee for: AGO, AZE, BLR, ECS, GEO, HTI, KAZ, KGZ, KOR, MNG, MRT, PMR, PRK, ROK, SWE, TJK, TKM, TUR, UZB, WSM, ZWE
Two additions so far this month ...

'18th Century Copper Token Halfpenny Spalding' [1794]

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces40571.html

'Belle médaille bronze université des annales. Art Nouveau. Attribuée 1909. 41mm'

I got it as there is a beehive on the reverse.
Quote: "ngdawa"
​That would be Sweden. :P I don't think Sweden ever had any anmals at all on its coins. Just the King's head or his monogram on the obverse, and the denomination on the reverse.
​Ah! Interesting! I am such a weird collector. Everyone else is super professional and has a hard core system worked out like "Pre 1940 coins" "Coins from New Zealand" "Every year ever of this penny" And I'm over here like "Ohhh Bunny rabbits and kitty cats d'awwwww !" (8
The mystery world coin lot :wiz:

These two were my absolute favourites from the lot.

½ Stiver - George III
10 Centimes - Léopold I​

I've been searching for the 10c coin for a while now and this was certainly a very nice surprise.
Numista referee for Finland
Quote: "Hopeakettu"The mystery world coin lot :wiz:

​These two were my absolute favourites from the lot.

½ Stiver - George III
10 Centimes - Léopold I​

​I've been searching for the 10c coin for a while now and this was certainly a very nice surprise.
​That half stiver is a real steal too!
It's been a good few weeks for coins

Henry VI Calais half penny, I think the reverse on this coin is beautiful

Edward III Groat, unfortunately it has been roughly cleaned so its much shinier than it looks in the photos, particularly the obverse

Henry I Cut Half Penny. My oldest English coin, almost 1000 years old.

Alexander III 1st coinage Penny. This is a coin that I've wanted for several years, glad to finally get one.

Henry VIII (possibly posthumous) Groat.

Not really a coin but I thought I'd include it. A lead Bulla of Pope Innocent IV. Would have originally been attached to a Papal Bull.
A new addition to my collection! It's not a coin, but I have a feeling I will be adding coins soon, and I today visited an underground shopping centre with no less than 15 coin shops! I'm so blown away! :8D

My plan wasn't to buy anything, but I had to fill a gap in my South Korean banknkte collection. :)

South Korea, 1 Won, 1962
Someone gifted this coin among other coins to me at our recent coin club meet. I am particularly in love with the strike and the motif!

Outings administrator
Thanks to Doc_Man I got these new additions

Bohemia

Siberia

Matt
Few bits & bobs

Five more additions this week ...

'Rare 1796 Campbells snuff shop halfpenny token'

'Scarce Irish 1795 Conder token 'Dublin Halfpenny' "God Grant Peace"'

'One ECU 1992 - Wales'

'One ECU 1992 - Northern Ireland'

I now have all five - I already have the England, Scotland, United Kingdom 1 ECU.

'"Far Famed" Cake & Biscuit Co., Queen Victoria 60 Years on the Throne 1897'
After I won those first two above, later I added the next three won afterwards. Tonight there
was a seller who had many coin sets for sale - I lost out on a few but won these four ...

'UNC Bermuda 5 coin set with Authenticity Certificate in a protective blister'

'UNC Eritrea 6 coin set with Authenticity Certificate in a protective blister'
[no image of reverse]

'UNC Greenland 8 coin set with Authenticity Certificate in a protective blister'

'UNC Malawi 9 coin set with Authenticity Certificate in a protective blister'

It was a nightmare bidding as sometimes there was less than a minute between listings,
and I only saw them tonight so could not place them on a Watch list or bid earlier. 8.
Hey ZacUK, may I ask you what you paid for these sets? I bought 5 similar sets some time ago, not on an auction but on a coin fair for 4 € per set.

Nice orientation error for the 2 cents!

I've seen these sets before, but never bought any. The Greenlandic set is fantasy coins though, since they use the Danish coins (and banknotes).
Quote: "Essor Prof"​Hey ZacUK, may I ask you what you paid for these sets?
Greenland £5.61 / Bermuda £2.20 / Malawi £7.11 / Eritrea £4.31
are those I won. Not sure how much in Euros.
I missed out on four others, as got outbid, with these winning prices ...
Bahamas £3.43 / Seychelles £5.73 / Comoros £5.73 / Iceland £8.50
You have some nice sets too. :)
I've been taking it easy this month after overspending in the first quarter, but I picked up some US junk silver at the LCS today. Just for my amusement, I'm working on Whitman folders of silver dimes and quarters, purchased entirely out of the 90% junk silver buckets at melt price (today's price: $12 per $1 of face value). The selection and quality varies, but today I got 19 Mercury dimes, about half of which were new and half were upgrades. I only have 11 holes left in my Mercury dime folder (and about half of those are probably unlikely to show up in a junk bucket). Not too bad for just paying the silver spot price, IMO.

You can't really tell from this picture, but the three in front, plus the 1947-S Roosevelt, are in a really nice lustrous AU grade.

Few coins I have bought yesterday in really nice grade, Swiss Shooting Festival X#S13 envelope sealed grade aUNC.
My wife was nice enough to buy me both sets of Canadian 2017 coins as an early birthday present.

Just so you know, I am using this picture without permission. I know how much Numista frowns on this, but it's easier than using my own picture.
For some reason I got the itch this morning and picked this Gothic Florin.

Matt
I've acquired most of these charming colonial France Libre roosters this month.
Jamais l'or n'a perdu la plus petite occasion de se montrer stupide. -Balzac

ROMAE AETERNAE
Got a very lucky find yesterday:

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces9130.html

To short the story of how I got it, I was at the right place at the right time.

I consider it a little historical relic, as it's Portuguese but related to our history; the coin is from the time of D. João VI, the prince regent that transferred himself and his court from Lisbon to Rio de Janeiro to escape the Napoleonic invasion (his name is on all Brazilian history books).
More exactly is from the time he was proclaimed king of Portugal and reigned from Brazil (1816-1821, when he returned to Portugal), shortly before our independence (1822) proclaimed by his son D. Pedro I (who chose to stay during his father's depart).

The date is erased but the copper is slightly brighter where the numbers should be, so I figured the date as 1819, which makes it almost 200 years old.
First trip of 2017 to the local "antique" market was a success. Picked up a decent PE10-31 to add to my Canadian Colonials.

I'll buy Colonials all day long for $5 in this grade.

Best part of the day was spending 3 hours with daughter!!!
It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble.  It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so.  Mark Twain
A nice evening with eight nice additions ...

'1797 Lothian Edinburgh Conder Halfpenny D&H 7'

'ALFRED / BRITON's RULE Evasion Halfpenny'

'1811 Isle of Man Bank Halfpenny Token'

'1813 Phoenix iron works Penny token'

'British King George III token – No date (1760?)'

'Queen Anna Medalet Or Token'

'19th Century Speed the Plough Canada Copper Halfpenny 1/2d Token Coin' [two of]

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces1130.html
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces73607.html
Quote: "ZacUK"​​'1797 Lothian Edinburgh Conder Halfpenny D&H 7'
​Absolutely beautiful. I wish you and Mark would stop posting pics of these Conders. I just love themz|

Nice Canadian Colonials too!!!
Thanks! Shame that I missed out on these two below though -
and the colonial pair I got for £0.01 as I was the only bidder! :)

Quote: "Peter M. Graham"​First trip of 2017 to the local "antique" market was a success. Picked up a decent PE10-31 to add to my Canadian Colonials.

​I'll buy Colonials all day long for $5 in this grade.

​Best part of the day was spending 3 hours with daughter!!!
​$5? Great find!

EDIT: Last night I ordered a few more varieties of those SHIPS COLONIES & COMMERCE tokens. Pictures to come.
Today 19th May 2017 is one year since I joined Numista! :wiz:
Five additions this week ...

'25 World coins majority Silver. Early dates nice grades 16 countries'

'1794 whale fishery Halfpenny Token - Payable at I. Fowler London'

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces23486.html

'The International Industrial Exhibition Medal Crystal Palace 1851' [London, 51mm]

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces111824.html

'1795 Glamorgan Jestyn Ap Gwrgan Tywysog Morganwg Prince Morgan Half Penny Token'

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces111881.html

'Victorian antique medallion Holborn Restaurant bronze/bronzed' [1897]

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces109969.html
I already have one, but I like them - and it is huge; 69mm across and 11mm thick.

EDIT: May 23rd - the 25 World coins arrived, and an alphabetical list of them is ...
Australia 3 Pence 1912 [silver]
Australia 6 Pence 1963 [silver]
Canada 10 Cents 1943 [silver]
Denmark 10 Ore 1917 [silver]
Ecuador 1 Decimo 1916 PHILA [silver]
Germany 5 ReichsPfennig 1938B with Swastika
Iceland 10 Aurar 1966
Iceland 25 Aurar 1965
Malaya 10 Cents 1941 [silver]
Netherlands 10 Cents 1939, 41 x5 [silver]
New Zealand 3 Pence 1955
Poland 10 Groszy 1923
Rhodesia 3 Pence 1968
Rhodesia, Southern 3 Pence 1932 [silver]
Rhodesia, Southern 3 Pence 1952
South Africa 3 Pence 1943, 45 [silver]
Sweden 25 Ore 1953 [silver]
Switzerland 1/2 Franken 1961 [silver]
United Kingdom 3 Pence 1933 [silver]
So of the 25 coins there were 18 silver. :)
Quote: "Camerinvs"
Quote: "Peter M. Graham"​First trip of 2017 to the local "antique" market was a success. Picked up a decent PE10-31 to add to my Canadian Colonials.
​​
​​
​​I'll buy Colonials all day long for $5 in this grade.
​​
​​Best part of the day was spending 3 hours with daughter!!!
​​$5? Great find!

​EDIT: Last night I ordered a few more varieties of those SHIPS COLONIES & COMMERCE tokens. Pictures to come.
​Today 19th May 2017 is one year since I joined Numista! :wiz:
​I'm wasting my time with all the variants I have there's no way I'll ever be able to have them all !
Here's what I got

An Aspron Trachy Nomisma of John II Comnenus. Nice and large with a 32mm diameter.

A Fractional dinar of Islamic Spain, from an unknown issuer sometime in the 11th century.

A Ghorid heavy dinar minted in Ghazna in AH604 under Mu'izz al-Din Muhammad. This one weighs about 11 grams and is about 30mm wide.
Buying gold and electrum coins 700bc-1950ad
Muenzenhamster is a healthy part of our community and should not be censored
Quote: "Mark240590"
​​I'm wasting my time with all the variants I have there's no way I'll ever be able to have them all !
​I will be happy with only a few major varieties; some of the differences are pretty trivial.

Sometimes, it's the opposite and you want more varieties than what is listed in the catalogue. For instance the Charlton catalogue used to list quite a few more varieties of the Tiffin tokens than they do now. Compare any recent editions with the 1978 one:

So, I have more varieties of Tiffins than are listed in recent editions of the Charlton because they seem important enough.
I got some nice coins from Jersey and Guernsey

​​​I'm wasting my time with all the variants I have there's no way I'll ever be able to have them all !
​​I will be happy with only a few major varieties; some of the differences are pretty trivial.

​Sometimes, it's the opposite and you want more varieties than what is listed in the catalogue. For instance the Charlton catalogue used to list quite a few more varieties of the Tiffin tokens than they do now. Compare any recent editions with the 1978 one:

​So, I have more varieties of Tiffins than are listed in recent editions of the Charlton because they seem important enough.
​yeah good call keeping those ! I have a lot of the trivial differences but some of them are worth keeping. My prized pieces include a blacksmith one :)
Got these proofs from Panama at the local coin club, common coins...

After a weekend in Taiwan I added a few more years to my Taiwanese collection :)

Quote: "ngdawa"​After a weekend in Taiwan I added a few more years to my Taiwanese collection :)

​I went from 17 to 45 coins! :8D
I got my first gold coin:

A Napoleon 20 Francs from the Hundred Days.

I am very very happy with it. It's just amazing to think that it could have been struck just days prior to Waterloo.
Quote: "cmaclean"​I got my first gold coin:

​A Napoleon 20 Francs from the Hundred Days.

​I am very very happy with it. It's just amazing to think that it could have been struck just days prior to Waterloo.
​Very nice! I've wanted to get something gold from Napoleon, but I can never seem to pull the trigger.
Buying gold and electrum coins 700bc-1950ad
Muenzenhamster is a healthy part of our community and should not be censored
Among several other acquisitions:

They all circulated primarily in Lower Canada.

very rare and expensive Egypt 20 para of Mahmud II, bought recently here in Tbilisi at our local flea market for $7  :)  :)
Hello,

This morning just arrived this US civil war token, a bit worn but a very nice complement to my sail boats collection.
It was advertised as a Canadian tokens when I spotted it :) It is the 26 mm version. Fuld 258-446a.

An opportunity to discover those civil war tokens, a world for collectors, too poorly represented in our catalogue (this one will be in soon). US fellow collectors ??...
Quand l'Histoire et la Géographie se croisent sur nos pièces de monnaie ...
Referee for Austria-Habsburg, Austrian Netherlands, Austrian States, Bohemia, Silesia.
Traducteur, demandez en cas de besoin ! Translator, ask if you need !
It happens quite often that US or UK tokens are described as "Canadian" by dealers. In some cases I think it's because they hope an unsuspecting collector will think it's a rare type and pay a premium for it. Some years ago I saw a rather common Conder token (as I came to realize) described in eBay as "Canadian?" At first I was like "Wow! What's this??" but quickly realized it was a dealer's trick to sell at higher price...
Quote: "Camerinvs"​Among several other acquisitions:

​They all circulated primarily in Lower Canada.
​I haven't made the"plunge" into the Bouquet Sou (middle) yet. They are difficult to find in a good grade such as yours.
Quote: "Ecapoe"​Hello,

​This morning just arrived this US civil war token, a bit worn but a very nice complement to my sail boats collection.
​It was advertised as a Canadian tokens when I spotted it :) It is the 26 mm version. Fuld 258-446a.

​An opportunity to discover those civil war tokens, a world for collectors, too poorly represented in our catalogue (this one will be in soon). US fellow collectors ??...
​Oh jeez. Another great series I want. Really nice.
Quote: "Peter M. Graham"
Quote: "Camerinvs"​Among several other acquisitions:
​​
​​
​​
​​They all circulated primarily in Lower Canada.
​​I haven't made the"plunge" into the Bouquet Sou (middle) yet. They are difficult to find in a good grade such as yours.
​I got this one for about $5 and was happily surprised no-one outbid me. I have not looked at the Bouquet series in detail either. I only have a few of them and actually need to update my checklist in order not to buy duplicates ─ I already have a couple of those which will soon be available for swapping.
Purchased today - 1/10 Penny 1952, British West Africa

Pictures can be used here.
This just came in:

Yet another bouquet sou and a Devins & Bolton countermark. Can you find out over which coin? The dealer suspected it was over a Nova Scotia thistle token, but he was wrong. Here is a rotated photo of the obverse and a detail on the reverse:

A few gems that I picked up this month:

Macedonian Kingdom: Alexander III ' the Great' (336-323 BCE) AR Tetradrachm, Odessus (Price 1181a; Muller 419)

Obv: Head of Herakles right, wearing lion's skin headdress
Rev: Zeus Aëtophoros seated left, holding sceptre; AΛEΞANΔPOY to right, BAΣIΛEΩΣ in exergue, monogram to left, monogram below throne

Roman Egypt, Alexandria: Nero (54-68 CE) BI Tetradrachm, RY14 (Köln 203-204; Dattari (Savio) 244; Milne 298-299; Emmett 129)

Obv: NEΡΩ KΛAV KAIΣ ΣEB ΓΕΡ AV; radiate head of Nero left, wearing aegis; LI∆ to left
Rev: ΠΟΣEIΔWN IΣΘMIΟΣ; bust of Poseidon right, wearing taenia, slight drapery on left shoulder; trident behind, star to right

Fatimid: al-Mustansir (427-487 AH / 1036-1094 CE) AV Dinar, Misr, 453AH (Nicol 1932; Album 719A)

Quote: "Quant.Geek"​A few gems that I picked up this month:

Macedonian Kingdom: Alexander III ' the Great' (336-323 BCE) AR Tetradrachm, Odessus (Price 1181a; Muller 419)

​Obv: Head of Herakles right, wearing lion's skin headdress
​Rev: Zeus Aëtophoros seated left, holding sceptre; AΛEΞANΔPOY to right, BAΣIΛEΩΣ in exergue, monogram to left, monogram below throne

Roman Egypt, Alexandria: Nero (54-68 CE) BI Tetradrachm, RY14 (Köln 203-204; Dattari (Savio) 244; Milne 298-299; Emmett 129)

​Obv: NEΡΩ KΛAV KAIΣ ΣEB ΓΕΡ AV; radiate head of Nero left, wearing aegis; LI∆ to left
​Rev: ΠΟΣEIΔWN IΣΘMIΟΣ; bust of Poseidon right, wearing taenia, slight drapery on left shoulder; trident behind, star to right

Fatimid: al-Mustansir (427-487 AH / 1036-1094 CE) AV Dinar, Misr, 453AH (Nicol 1932; Album 719A)

​Stunning. Methinks someone is cornering the market for next years MPCC:O.
Yet a new arrival, this time an F D countermarked halfpenny-size coin or blank from Trinidad (1860s-1870s):

It was very poorly described by the dealer ... so nobody else bid on it and I got it for 99¢ + postage!
Quote: "Peter M. Graham"
Quote: "Quant.Geek"​A few gems that I picked up this month:
​​
​​Macedonian Kingdom: Alexander III ' the Great' (336-323 BCE) AR Tetradrachm, Odessus (Price 1181a; Muller 419)
​​
​​Obv: Head of Herakles right, wearing lion's skin headdress
​​Rev: Zeus Aëtophoros seated left, holding sceptre; AΛEΞANΔPOY to right, BAΣIΛEΩΣ in exergue, monogram to left, monogram below throne
​​
​​
​​
​​
​​Roman Egypt, Alexandria: Nero (54-68 CE) BI Tetradrachm, RY14 (Köln 203-204; Dattari (Savio) 244; Milne 298-299; Emmett 129)
​​
​​Obv: NEΡΩ KΛAV KAIΣ ΣEB ΓΕΡ AV; radiate head of Nero left, wearing aegis; LI∆ to left
​​Rev: ΠΟΣEIΔWN IΣΘMIΟΣ; bust of Poseidon right, wearing taenia, slight drapery on left shoulder; trident behind, star to right
​​
​​
​​
​​
​​Fatimid: al-Mustansir (427-487 AH / 1036-1094 CE) AV Dinar, Misr, 453AH (Nicol 1932; Album 719A)
​​
​​
​​Stunning. Methinks someone is cornering the market for next years MPCC:O.
​Hmmmm... That is not a bad idea ;)
One should start a new post:

Coins you can't play "heads or tails" with

:D
Order Of Malta compliments of Phil

Matt
Four additions, from same seller so saving on postage ...

'Gibraltar. 1952 - 1977. Elizabeth II 25 Pence. Cased'

'St Helena. 1952 - 1977. Elizabeth II Silver Jubilee 25 Pence. Cased'

'Elizabeth II. 1953 - 1993. 40th Anniversary of Coronation £5 Crown'

'Chichester & Portsmouth Halfpenny 1794. John Howard. F.R.S. Philanthropist'

Also the third item I got for quite a bit less than the £5 face value. :)
Been out for a few hours and just got back, expecting to see the few items I had
bid on would have been outbid, but I won all of them; hooray ...

'1758 PAX IN BELLO Medal/Medallion'

'Plymouth, Burrator Reservoir Opened 1898, white metal Medal, 44mm'

'Netherlands - 1683 Annexation of Leyden Harbour towpath medal by Smeltzing'

'Italy - Ca. 1700 Church of S. MARIA - LAVRET in Rome Pilgrimage medal'
Hello all,

I just won this superb and rather scarce short, choppy wave variety of the SHIPS COLONIES & COMMERCE tokens. It is listed under Prince Edward Island in Charlton (PE10-6) but actually circulated in Lower Canada. See, above, May 3rd post with the Charlton 1978 description, # 125 (with pic wrongly numbered 126).

Quote: "Camerinvs"​One should start a new post:

Coins you can't play "heads or tails" with

:D
​Recently got an example of this Romanian type - definitely a candidate for that category.
Quote: "Camerinvs"​Hello all,

​I just won this superb and rather scarce short, choppy wave variety of the SHIPS COLONIES & COMMERCE tokens. It is listed under Prince Edward Island in Charlton (PE10-6) but actually circulated in Lower Canada. See, above, May 3rd post with the Charlton 1978 description, # 125 (with pic wrongly numbered 126).

So you were the £70 winner of this !! ​
​So you were the £70 winner of this !! ​
​Did you bid on it as well?? I'm working from a somewhat older Charlton catalogue (6th edition 2006) where it is listed at CDN $115 in VF and $150 in XF. So, I put $151 as a maximum bid, hoping of course to get it at a lower price...

I won another one last week from the same dealer (posted above, about a week ago). I should receive it this week. I think that's about it for me with the PE10 series. I'm not going to try to get every variety.
Picked up these fragmentary cuneiform tablets. Couldn't help myself, but I gave the seller a low ball offer price which I thought he would refuse, but to my surprise, he accepted it! Once it arrives, I'll take better pictures and send them off to CDLI for attributions and cataloging. Also, picked up another Roman Stylus, but this time it is in Silver...

​​So you were the £70 winner of this !! ​
​​Did you bid on it as well?? I'm working from a somewhat older Charlton catalogue (6th edition 2006) where it is listed at CDN $115 in VF and $150 in XF. So, I put $151 as a maximum bid, hoping of course to get it at a lower price...

​I won another one last week from the same dealer (posted above, about a week ago). I should receive it this week. I think that's about it for me with the PE10 series. I'm not going to try to get every variety.
​nah I put it in my watch list but never bothered to bid on it seen it ended this morning when I woke up. I think I'm gunna sell off some of my PE10 varieties. That seller is a great guy I've had a few conversations with him via email.
Quote: "Quant.Geek"​Picked up these fragmentary cuneiform tablets. Couldn't help myself, but I gave the seller a low ball offer price which I thought he would refuse, but to my surprise, he accepted it! Once it arrives, I'll take better pictures and send them off to CDLI for attributions and cataloging. Also, picked up another Roman Stylus, but this time it is in Silver...

​Those are some real historical treasures there.

Really beautiful:love:.
If you like coins, medals and tokens with ship motives follow my new instagram account with regular updates @numisnautiker
From time to time I sell some coins on Ebay make sure to follow me @apuking on Ebay.
Some of my Newfoundland purchases have just come in:

The 5¢ are low grade, but they are scarce and quite expensive. For the 1882 and 1894 50¢ I was (as for the rest) the only bidder and paid much less than the prices on the 2X2 holders. Actually, I paid so much less that I didn't wait for the seller to give me a total with combined shipping. So, I paid right away, but he gave me an 1882 5¢, which is also quite scarce, to compensate for the extra shipping!
The last six items I won in May have now arrived ...

'Declaration of the Congress of Vienna medal 1815' [Mudie Series No.32 of 40]

'The British Army enters Madrid medallion1812 / Salamanca 1812' [Mudie Series No.21 of 40]

'GB bakers token 1795' [PAYABLE AT I + DENNIS LONDON]

'Toy Money One penny Half Penny Half Sovereign 3 Pence Coins'

'Bronze medal by Daniel Dupuis France Agriculture Art Nouveau 1911 commemoration'

'1800's Various Copper Coins - Napoleon, Victoria, British, French, India' [Total 41]

EDIT: Making an alphabetical list for my reference of the 1800's coins ...
France 5 Centimes 1855A, 1899
France 10 Centimes 1853W, 1854A [2], 1855K, 1856A, 1856BB, 1857W
France 10 Centimes 1864BB [2], 1914, 1916 ★
​Guernsey 4 Doubles 1830
Guernsey 8 Doubles 1864
India, British 1/4 Anna 1887
India, British 1/2 Anna 1862
Italy 5 Centesimi 1861M
Italy 10 Centesimi 1863, 1866M
Jersey 1/24 Shilling 1877
Jersey 1/13 Shilling 1870
Jersey 1/12 Shilling 1888
United Kingdom 1822 1/4 Penny 21.5mm
United Kingdom 1875H 1/4 Penny
United Kingdom 1827 1/2 Penny 28mm
United Kingdom 1797 1 Penny 36mm 'cartwheel' [x3] worn
United Kingdom 1858 1 Penny 34mm
5 others damaged or worn. Not a bad lot really. :)

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 16:32.