Genuine French 5 Francs?

12 posts

» Quick access to the last post

For the most part it appears authentic. There are three things that cautions me from saying that it is real.

1). The extra metal on the edge.
2). The denticles are not even all the way around the edge.
3). The condition of the coin for it's age.
? Format  Format  Format ?   ?
Do not argue with ignorant people .. !! They will drag you down to their level, then pulverize you with experience ...
It makes two of us - I completely agree with derf and would be very cautious about this coin.
There is a time for everything - Il y a un temps pour tout - Всему есть свое время - Для всього свій час, і година своя кожній справі під небом
try some of the many silver tests (ping, ring, ice, neodymium....)
a coin in that quality is difficlut to find
http://www.ebay.fr/itm/470607-France-Ceres-5-Francs-1849-Paris-SUP-Argent-KM-761-1-/322497873095?hash=item4b165f04c7:g:y2kAAOSw~y9ZA2NL
http://www.ebay.fr/itm/470606-France-Ceres-5-Francs-1849-Paris-SUP-Argent-KM-761-1-/192171604488?hash=item2cbe51fa08:g:CWUAAOSwrhBZA2NM

Beware: if a coin is valuable, the chinese are making copies
here is the catalog value (= not the real buying/selling price)
https://www.ngccoin.com/price-guide/world/france-5-francs-km-761.1-1849-1851-cuid-1169345-duid-1250089
Non est totum quod splendet ut aurum
Rijkdom bestaat niet uit het hebben van veel bezittingen, maar in het hebben van weinig behoeften
May be worth asking French forum :)
"Authentique ou copie ?"
And if it is an auction, and you have no weight, says it, they'll ask !
"je ne connais pas le poids".
Good luck !
Quand l'Histoire et la Géographie se croisent sur nos pièces de monnaie ...
Referee for Austria-Habsburg, Austrian Netherlands, Austrian States, Bohemia, Silesia.
Traducteur, demandez en cas de besoin ! Translator, ask if you need !
Look at the bottom left of the obverse. The inconsistent denticles, where it gets thin, is an instant indicator for a fake
Kenny

- Verifying your Asian and British-territorial coins everyday with the best quality photos and the best information.

Check out my Facebook, Kenneth Gucyski.
may we see the edge?
does it say, in relief on the surface, <<DIEU PROTÊGE LA FRANCE>> ?
Jamais l'or n'a perdu la plus petite occasion de se montrer stupide. -Balzac
Thank you all for your responses, I shall update with relevant pictures and measurements when I receive the coin.
Okay so it weighs in at 25.03g, which seems accurate and its diameter is approximately 37.2mm so a tad over but not necessarily any indicator of authenticity? The edge is indeed in relief with the words *** Dieu protege le france. In all, these signs are good. What does everyone think?
Quote: "KennyG"​Look at the bottom left of the obverse. The inconsistent denticles, where it gets thin, is an instant indicator for a fake
​If you look at the Numista page for the coin the denticles are uneven in the exact same place!
Quote: "Ecapoe"​May be worth asking French forum :)
​"Authentique ou copie ?"
​And if it is an auction, and you have no weight, says it, they'll ask !
​"je ne connais pas le poids".
​Good luck !
;)
There are a few specialized collectors of 5 francs out there ...
Quand l'Histoire et la Géographie se croisent sur nos pièces de monnaie ...
Referee for Austria-Habsburg, Austrian Netherlands, Austrian States, Bohemia, Silesia.
Traducteur, demandez en cas de besoin ! Translator, ask if you need !
Quote: "Ecapoe"
Quote: "Ecapoe"​May be worth asking French forum :)
​​"Authentique ou copie ?"
​​And if it is an auction, and you have no weight, says it, they'll ask !
​​"je ne connais pas le poids".
​​Good luck !
​​;)
​There are a few specialized collectors of 5 francs out there ...
​Thanks,

I'll ask

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 18:56.