Umayyad Dirham [solved]

8 posts
I think this is an Umayyad Dirham that I picked up at a coin show recently. I could not find something similar in the catalog. Can anyone read the legends to help narrow it down or identify it?Thanks, Mike
Your coin is actually a couple of centuries later than the Umayyads. It's an AE fals struck by the Samanid emir Mansur bin Nuh at Bukhara in Central Asia in the year 355 (AD 966).
Hi, I wonder how to find out the year of the coin?

much thanks
Quote: "LCW1991"​Hi, I wonder how to find out the year of the coin?

​much thanks
​On earlier Islamic coins, the date is written out in words using the Arabic Kufic script. On this coin, the obverse margin translates "in the name of Allah was struck this fals of Bukhara [in the] year five and fifty and three hundred".
Thank you very much! I was really hoping that that there was enough contrast in the photo for the margins to be readable. There was a lot of glare from the light when I took the photo. I will mark this one as solved.

I have another fals - Ummayad, perhaps. I was just going to classify it in the general 660-750 time frame. It has fairly legible writing in the margins as well. Would you mind if I posted it in a separate thread? See if perhaps you could catch a date or mint name...
By the way... weight on this is 2.1 gram and diameter is 20mm. Smaller than the one in the Numista catalog. Perhaps a different type?
I will be happy to look if want to post the other one. Regarding weight, it seems to be quite variable at this time and place, suggesting these coins were probably tariffed well above their intrinsic value. The coin in the numista catalog is the same mint as yours but dated 364.
Quote: "dltcoins"
Quote: "LCW1991"​Hi, I wonder how to find out the year of the coin?
​​
​​much thanks
​​On earlier Islamic coins, the date is written out in words using the Arabic Kufic script. On this coin, the obverse margin translates "in the name of Allah was struck this fals of Bukhara [in the] year five and fifty and three hundred".
​nice info. Thanks very much!

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 16:12.