Menu

What you "like"

worldcoinjohn
Dear numismatic friends:

What led me into world coin collecting was two things. Back in the day, (25 yrs ago) world coins could easily be had for at least 50% below current cat. value. Some for much less (this is beginning to change). Of course there are always exceptions. This was true for a majority of World coins. Then of course some couldn't be touched for full book or more. The other reason was the variety. It's endless.

Coin collectors have always said "buy what you like". I agree with this. I might not like the coins you like but that doesn't matter. You're not doing this for me. So if the coins you collect don't appeal to me don't let it offend you. In like manner if the coins I collect don't appeal to you, be kind not critical, to me about that. If we cultivate a relationship based on our hobby and I can find coins that you like and you can find coins that I like at favorable prices, then we can build an inventory of "trading stock" and serve one another.

I've also noticed that over the course of time my taste in coins has expanded. To me coins are historical artifacts and works of art first and investments second. Many times I might buy coins as pure investments, to resell (or trade) in the short term to buy (or acquire) coins I want for my collection. Ultimately I intend to keep my collection and pass then down to my kids and enjoy them while I'm alive.

"Buy what you like" but listen to your fellow collectors, if they have an opinion to express and your knowledge and interest will grow, and you'll get more enjoyment out of your numismatic pursuits. Thank you for letting me share. Many Blessings - Johnny
radrick007
Hello Johnny and welcome to Numista. From reading your post, I'm sure you will find many like-minded collectors here and will fit right in. I wish you well in your pursuit of our shared hobby and who knows, we might even be able to work out a trade one day :)
Just because you can't see it ... doesn't mean it isn't there - Anon

Catalogue referee for Celtic Britain, England, United Kingdom
MonaSeaclaid
Welcome to Numista!
As radrick007 said, I think you'll find many collectors who feel the same way. Myself included. This is a great community for sharing, learning and expanding. Hope to see you around the forums!
I wrote something clever here.
Frenchlover
Quote: "worldcoinjohn"​Ultimately I intend to keep my collection and pass then down to my kids and enjoy them while I'm alive.

​My daughter warned me "don't bother me with your old f...ing washers"
Numista referee for Ascension Island, Falkland Islands, Saint Helena, Saint Helena & Ascension, South Georgia & S. Sandwich Islands, Tristan da Cunha
radrick007
Quote: "Frenchlover"
Quote: "worldcoinjohn"​Ultimately I intend to keep my collection and pass then down to my kids and enjoy them while I'm alive.

​​My daughter warned me "don't bother me with your old f...ing washers"
​Haha! Yes, quite similar with my daughter. Initially, she seemed to show an interest but later on boys came on the scene and all of a sudden coins are not cool!
Just because you can't see it ... doesn't mean it isn't there - Anon

Catalogue referee for Celtic Britain, England, United Kingdom
MonaSeaclaid
At least she was honest! Ahaha.

I'm sure you'll find someone to appreciate them. Or maybe she'll grow an interest later on.
Pcoetzee5
Many years ago I collected coins, but sold my collection due to stupidity. Back then I only collected South Africa coins. The few international coins I had, I gave my son. He then grew the collection quite a bit, including South African coins.

While he was at university, he asked me if I could help him again, as he did not have the time, party was more important. So I again took over the collection.

A lot of water under the bridge, being older and having a bit more money than back then, I have been able to grow my collection significantly. Or shall I say, grow HIS colection significantly.

He still lives in South Africa and makes sure I have loads of coins for swaps.

So I know the feeling of collecting what I "LIKE", vs what I can afford. Interestingly enough, what I "LIKE" changed as my budget became bigger.

Happy collecting
Ex-South African now living in Germany
neilithic
I would love to collect everything I like, but unfortunately a lot of coins that I like are well out of my budget. I will have to stick to buying what I like and what I can afford ;)
druzhynets Numista team
Our hobby is a constant compromise between price and necessity. Most of the coins I really 'like' cost a fortune, but I still find a lot of joy in some cheap and nice coins and sets. The hobby is so universal, we have more than 105,000 of coins listed here on Numista (!) and thousands more exist! There's always something interesting out there. For example, I like this coin very much, despite it's cheap and is not a part of my area of collecting:

Coins are small things that make us happy. Don't be prisoner of your area of interest or price tag, collect what you like! :`
Catalog master referee
Pcoetzee5
I have to agree with Druzhnets, I have to date not found an affordable coin I did not like. One of my most momorable coins I found was only 0,20€, but it filled a gap in my collection, completing a series I worked on for years.

One day, when I am all grown up, ...
Ex-South African now living in Germany
MonaSeaclaid
Some of my most treasured coins are "worthless" to most. I especially love ones that most people call filler. I love having one that's an F or XF for sure, but the AG has a better story to tell I'm sure.
iknw07554
I have only been a collector for a few years starting out from coins my Dad left me. There is ,as many contributors have said a bit of a battle between cost and availability.

I like crown size coins and bi metallic coins and often wonder if I should let my other coins go to build up the ones I like, and then I think I might regret it afterwards. What do you all think?

One thing I learned early on , was you can’t collect everything you like. So I concentrate on series so that there is a target you can complete.

This is great site and I have learned much from friends here
Sjoelund
Hi,

I like them all, if I don't already have it (same year, mint, alloy etc).

Don't buy any except on flea markets and bulk coins.....

Exchange a lot thanks to my some 15.000 doubles!

When I go, the collection will also be dead, my 2 girls are not interested (yet).

Doesn't matter, I had and still have my fun with the coins....

Life goes on!

Ole
Globetrotter
Coin variants in English:
https://sites.google.com/site/coinvarietiescollection/home
In French on Cobra's site (not the same)
http://monnaiesetvarietes.esy.es/
Peter M. Graham
Quote: "iknw07554"​I like crown size coins and bi metallic coins and often wonder if I should let my other coins go to build up the ones I like, and then I think I might regret it afterwards. What do you all think?

​Much like yourself I was given a hand-me-down collection, mostly Canadian. It took me about 1 year to decide that they could all go except for the Cents. I don't regret this decision in the least.
We were so busy deciding whether we could, we never asked ourselves whether we should!

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 11:50AM.