What about this coin?

12 posts

» Quick access to the last post

Hello everyone.
Does anyone know anything about this coin? It is a coin of Germany of 2 Euro of the year 2010 but with the map of Europe retired in 2006-2007.
Thank you
please show us the picture
The Chinese must be counterfeitting bi-metallic coins because there are many details that are very very crude on that.
I would be careful calling it a fake. In 2007 the Stuttgart Mint made a mistake in the maps.

Email them and ask, they should be able to answer.
Ex-South African now living in Germany
Quote: "gabilife79"
​Hi, it looks like a coin with an error, called mule coin.
They are quite valuable. Look mule coins on eBay.
Pretty interesting coin, but probably a fake:
- the map does not have the fine dotted structure that is usual on the countries, so "crude" is a proper description
- also the islands (Sardinia, Sicily, ... even Ireland) hardly have any shape. They are just a blob of metal.
- also Bretagne (west coast of France) and the east coast of Spain have the wrong shape

wouldn't give much for this coin ... definitely not €2 ... but it reminds me to keep my eyes open
Just call me Bram

Oh! And do read my profile page before you open a swap ...
I guess, too, that's a fake coin, because the edge on obverse and reverse (in German called "Randstab") is too wide.

Did you weigh it?
Yeah it looks a bit like the old fake French bimetallic 10 francs. What's written on the edge?
Hi again. Weight and edge legend are correct but the distance between last letter with eagle is incorrect. I think definitely is a counterfeit.
I also think it's a counterfeit. If these show up more (the old UK 1 Pound fakes were commonplace) the ECB might be forced to update the design of the 2 Euro and possibly the 1 Euro as well, just like the UK and Canada did.

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 13:34.