World coins chat: Reckheim

10 posts

» Quick access to the last post

In those days when all German states of the Holy Roman Empire are raised to the grade of "Numista Sections", I would like to dust off an old county that got the right for coinage: Reckheim
which fully deserves his rank of "Numista Section".

It is a plea for Reckheim to finally reach its rank of "Section" in the Holy Numista Circle

In order to introduce the County of Reckheim, lets quote the « General dictionary of Hiftorical and Critical » of Bayle :

Reckheim, with its magnificent castle

More recently, wiki reports Reckheim as part of the Westphalian circle.

Reckheim was a county belonging to the "Circle of Wesphalia" which got the right for coinage.
And we’ll discover that they have made extensive use of this right.

There are very few coins of Reckheim on Numista

The first coin is a Duit that you might identify as from Frisia

But the genuine Duit from Frisia is slightly different …

The second is a Liard "FERDIN ET ELISABETH" looking like a Spanish Netherlands coin

When the genuine Liard from Albert and Elizabeth was … slightly different

You’ve understood :D

This Holy Roman Empire county was specialized in counterfeiting currencies of its neighbors (Spanish Netherlands, United Provinces, Liege)
And when you get one on these coins, it’s not so easy to find out from where it comes. In this case, the « Coin identification forum » was helpfull

All the voluminous coinage of Reckheim is described in the reference web site : « Coinage of Reckheim »

There is no reason to spread out Reckheim coinage in the lists of all neighbouring countries in Numista.
In order to get an historical understanding of these coins, it might be wise to gather them in a HRE german state named:
The County of Reckheim
Referee of south atlantic islands
It will be added in future. Rekem in Dutch

The list you provided shows a few States which are in numismatics usually not stated under Germany States Thorn, Lorraine, Liege, Cambrai for example.

At the biggest Numismatic houses you will not find Reckheim listed under German States. It will usually either be listed under Low Countries, Netherlands or Belgium.

this might be also interesting for you.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_of_Lynden
https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pays_mosan
If you like coins, medals and tokens with ship motives follow my new instagram account with regular updates @numisnautiker
From time to time I sell some coins on Ebay make sure to follow me @apuking on Ebay.
We need a clear distinction between German states and Low countries feudal (will be renamed from Belgium Feudal)
for these cases.
Catalogue administrator
All low countries but Liege were listed under the Burgundian Circle ( Burgundian Netherlands, then Habsburg Netherlands) but Reckheim was part of the Wesphalian Circle same as Aachen.
but the territory was in Nowadays Netherlands and the ruling families were all Dutch nobility from Geldern.

We will not create a single entity HRE as that is opposite to our country system, else we would also have to create a listing for British Empire.
If you like coins, medals and tokens with ship motives follow my new instagram account with regular updates @numisnautiker
From time to time I sell some coins on Ebay make sure to follow me @apuking on Ebay.
All of Netherlands was once part of the HRE

Silesia, Bohemia and Austria are also not under our country listing German States
Quote: "apuking"​All of Netherlands was once part of the HRE
​Sure and then part of France on 1812 :D

More seriously, we should consider the map after the creation of the Dutch Republic beginning with the treaty of Nonsuch on 1585.

Low countries were not under HRE rule afterwards.
In the opposite, it's clear that Reckheim was still under HRE rule well after 1700 ...

Furthermore, heraldry-wiki stipulates:

The arms [of Reckheim] are derived from the arms of the fammily Aspremont-Lijnden. Rekem was a free estate, later a barony and finally a county, directly governed by the Holy Roman Empire, but held in loan by different vassals. The oldest known Lord of Reken was mentioned in the 12th century. Many different families ruled the estate, which became a possession of Herman van Aspremont-Lijnden in 1590. Later, Ernst van Lijnden became the first Count of Rekem.
Nice topic!

Reckheim appears on this map:

In case you have trouble finding it, it is just north of Maastricht at the river Meuse (Maas). Reckheim consisted of 3 villages and was bought from the Prince-Bishopric of Liege - also part of HRE - by Hermann von Lynden, who was an important figure in Liege.

Reckheim was a mini-state with an oversized castle and a mainly rural population of 1,500. Despite the Dutch Revolt and other conflicts passing by Reckheim remained independent until the Napoleonic Wars.

Currently the village of Rekem is situated in Belgium, right at the Maas that forms the border with the Netherlands. The population speaks Dutch. Rekem is so small that it is part of the larger municipality of Lanaken. Both are served by the city of Maastricht which lies just over the border (which is purely administrative these days).
I also have a Duit from Reckheim, it looks extremely familiar to Duit coinage from Utrecht but it's actually from Reckheim. I'll try to make a picture of it later.
"For by telling them of many things without teaching them you will make them seem to know much, while for the most part they know nothing"
-Plato

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 15:45.