Swindler detected again [solved]

24 posts

» Quick access to the last post

Shame
Might be a youngster, did a check on the address and a male and female name popped up with the same last name. Their voter records are online and so is the male's phone number.
That might be a long time ago, but I once saw his profile and came back to the usual catalogue, now I saw a few days ago that he unsibscribed his account with so many bad ratings. It's just excess of him.
Why isn't there a catalogue of known swindlers so people can check they're not sending their coins in good faith to a sinister scumbag ?
https://en.numista.com/echanges/profil.php?id=88982

Two bad feedbacks out of 2 and 15 swaps on the road. That looks very very bad.

But please people, don't forget the golden rule. Let people without feedbacks send first and you'll avoid a lot of trouble. A newcomer who refuses to send first, or specifically asks the other swapper to send first (like he asks Ciusek), is always suspicious.
Got a swap request from him and turned it down. I have not been around long enough to see the same person come back as a different profile, thanks for the heads up!
Quote: "Mark240590"​Why isn't there a catalogue of known swindlers so people can check they're not sending their coins in good faith to a sinister scumbag ?
Nobody would bother reading it!

This is going to continue until Numista bites the bullet and requires all non-casual accounts to have a complete address associated with them at the time of signing up. ​ It's not very difficult to prevent the creation of another account with the same address as an old one. When you click "confirm" at the conclusion of a swap, the system automatically sends the address on record to your swap partner. If you are asked to send the coins to a different address, then unless there is a reasonable explanation it should be a huge red flag. (As an unintended side benefit it would save a whole lotta typing and reduce the risk of lost parcels because of a typo.)

It would solve the problem of scammers reappearing with a new account every month as their addresses would already be in the database. That Russian jerkoff is on what.... account number 13 or 14 now?
Non illegitimis carborundum est.  Excellent advice for all coins.
Make Numismatics Great Again!  
That's a good idea but what to do with multiple genuine users residing at the same household? Preventing same person from creating an account multiple times can be done in several different ways.

Probably most commonly used - email validation, which is of course not very reliable.

More reliable options would include integration with 3rd party service, i.e. PayPal but that means every user that wants to participate in swaps would need to have a valid PayPal account. And I still know plenty people who don't own one.

In the end, an assessment of benefit/limitation tradeoff would be required. But if someone wants to cheat the system, they will always find a way to do it.
just experienced it myself.
There should be a separate topic "warnings" in the forum, and cheaters should be reported and reported there.
This guy immediately seemed suspicious, because after accepting the exchange he immediately asked me to send the coin first when I did not agree it was written that he has a lot of work and can not now send coins to me ...
But the problem remained
I gave him a negative opinion, because there is no way to warn other collectors against such a scammer.
And what did that give me? That I got from this cheater also a negative rating. And for that I wanted to help others to decipher cheaters.
No one cares.
Moderator seeing what happens should close the fraudster account and its unfair rating for canceling me. Unfortunately, nobody has done this and people see me negative.
Too bad, more probably I will not warn people because it bounces on me.
Think about it .....
If you guys send me a private message about such things, I can at least add a warning to their page!

Phil is great at this, if some others do it too, it can really help :)
There's only so much you can do to prevent people from getting scammed as well. If they're not going to check someone's profile for warnings and feedback then what can you do? I'm not sure I want my personal address sitting in databanks like that. Measures like that only end up punishing the innocent.
Understood Mona, hence the "non casual" bit. I reckon I should have been more specific - for people who just want to use the forum and catalog their coins there's no need to add an address to the account but the swap engine should be disabled.

There's no privacy issue in the case of people wanting to swap, if you don't want to divulge your address then you really can't make swaps anyway.
Non illegitimis carborundum est.  Excellent advice for all coins.
Make Numismatics Great Again!  
Quote: "pnightingale"... if you don't want to divulge your address then you really can't make swaps anyway.

​I'd even say get a POBox if you want to protect your address but still want to swap. I've sent a few swap package to POBox addresses in my time here.
Quote: "ciusek"​ just experienced it myself.
​There should be a separate topic "warnings" in the forum, and cheaters should be reported and reported there.
​This guy immediately seemed suspicious, because after accepting the exchange he immediately asked me to send the coin first when I did not agree it was written that he has a lot of work and can not now send coins to me ...
​But the problem remained
​I gave him a negative opinion, because there is no way to warn other collectors against such a scammer.
​And what did that give me? That I got from this cheater also a negative rating. And for that I wanted to help others to decipher cheaters.
​No one cares.
​Moderator seeing what happens should close the fraudster account and its unfair rating for canceling me. Unfortunately, nobody has done this and people see me negative.
​Too bad, more probably I will not warn people because it bounces on me.
​Think about it .....
There was a time when this would have gotten fixed for you, who is the moderator that handles this now? ​Hopefully he will fix this?
Taking a break from swapping for a while, but still interested in pre 1799 Spanish coins, I will make time for that!

Looking for pre 1783 coins
Quote: "Damian"​Oggy with all my respect . I dont understand why you deleted the address of this SOB he doesn't deserve respect. The only tool we have to expose these persons is making public their information for other members while all of you find a solution. Regarding to the coment of Monaseaclaid inocents dont need to be punished but this not the case . I checked his address with other members and is the same address and name he used in his previous account
​This was discussed multiple times - agree or disagree, but it does not comply with Numista rules. :°
Quote: "smoked_caramel"
Quote: "Damian"​Oggy with all my respect . I dont understand why you deleted the address of this SOB he doesn't deserve respect. The only tool we have to expose these persons is making public their information for other members while all of you find a solution. Regarding to the coment of Monaseaclaid inocents dont need to be punished but this not the case . I checked his address with other members and is the same address and name he used in his previous account
​​This was discussed multiple times - agree or disagree, but it does not comply with Numista rules. :°
​stop the world i want to get off
I wasn't talking about this scammer's address in my comment, I was talking about mine.

But that said I agree with oggy's decision to remove the address from public view. It's against the rules of the forum for a reason. You don't have to respect this person but posting a personal address on a public forum is not the answer.
Taking a break from swapping for a while, but still interested in pre 1799 Spanish coins, I will make time for that!

Looking for pre 1783 coins
It's about protecting Numista from litigation, not protecting the scammers. Xaviers' house, his rules.
Quote: "oggy"​It's about protecting Numista from litigation, not protecting the scammers. Xaviers' house, his rules
​In such case you should ask me to edit or delete my comment. For me was very irrespectful you deleted partially my comment without previous notice. I know Xavier's rules . I have been using this site more than you . But there is a need to make something to stop people that have licence to kill. Finally zI would like to close the disscusion. Have great day all
Quote: "Damian"
Quote: "oggy"​It's about protecting Numista from litigation, not protecting the scammers. Xaviers' house, his rules
​​In such case you should ask me to edit or delete my comment. For me was very irrespectful you deleted partially my comment without previous notice. I know Xavier's rules . I have been using this site more than you . But there is a need to make something to stop people that have licence to kill. Finally zI would like to close the disscusion. Have great day all

Then you know you shouldn't have posted it in the first place and that it would likely be removed.
Quote: "Mark240590"​Why isn't there a catalogue of known swindlers so people can check they're not sending their coins in good faith to a sinister scumbag ?
Sorry but ​HAHAHAAHHHHHaAAHAHAHA

The last time I posted a list Xavier, bam7777 and some others gave me a ban for "revealing private data".

They didnt care that some honest user were badly cheated and hid behind of some faggot french laws which were peculiarly never provided. Their main concern was to protect the scammers identity. Everybody will confirm this here.
Main Referee for Hutt-River
They even sent a snitch to spy on alternative platforms that we don't share scammer knowledge.
Main Referee for Hutt-River

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 14:33.