Menu

CSIP - Links to the engravers

» Quick access to the last post

Indomini16
Hi all,

As I started a topic to request the addition of link between numista coin pages and Wikipedia engraver pages on the french forum, I thought it could be usefull to have this kind of topic also on the english side of the forum :-)

I will start with my first request :
Please can you add a link between William Maving Gardner and this coin.

&
Matthew Dent for this coin

Thanks in advance
Always look on the bright side of life!
pejounet Numista team, Moderator
Quote: "Indomini16" William Maving Gardner and this coin
​​&
Matthew Dent for this coin
​Done. Also sent requests to referee to harmonize name format for all related files.

PS: Thanks for starting both threads ;)
Sapientiae plerumque stultitia est comes.
Si c'est un grand plaisir d'être reconnu par ses amis, c'est peut-être encore plus flatteur d'être reconnu par ses adversaires.
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
radrick007
Sorry to be devil's advocate here but I'm not sure I agree with inconsistency in naming of engravers - one has 3 names and the other has 2 - and the subject title of the William Maving Gardner page is actually "William Gardner". I am also slightly uncomfortable with using Wikipedia as an approved reference source. When refereeing the UK catalogue for example, our primary references are Krause, Spink and The Royal Mint (formerly Tower Mint).
Just because you can't see it ... doesn't mean it isn't there - Anon

Catalogue referee for Celtic Britain, England & United Kingdom
Jarcek Numista team
It is just some info about the engraver, which is shown when user hovers over the name.
Catalogue administrator, Referee for Kingdom of Bohemia.
Quote: "radrick007"​Sorry to be devil's advocate here but I'm not sure I agree with inconsistency in naming of engravers - one has 3 names and the other has 2 - and the subject title of the William Maving Gardner page is actually "William Gardner". I am also slightly uncomfortable with using Wikipedia as an approved reference source. When refereeing the UK catalogue for example, our primary references are Krause, Spink and The Royal Mint (formerly Tower Mint).
​Inconsistency have been taken care of, it's just waiting for you to approve my pending requests to have them all with same format. :D
(Some requests for Falkland Islands, New Zealand and Cyprus have already been cleared by the referee for these.)
This is being done for all engraver i.e. when I add/check an engraver I go through all pages related and make it the same for all. Work in progress so this will take some time to have all inconsistencies cleared but thanks to Indomini16 thread many have been cleared already.

​The point is not to give all info or details about engraver but rather a link to basic info on wikipedia (for the engraver himself, but not the coin) and some short introduction within the popup box. When available, we also have a picture displayed within the popup box.
Si c'est un grand plaisir d'être reconnu par ses amis, c'est peut-être encore plus flatteur d'être reconnu par ses adversaires.
Indomini16
Quote: "radrick007"​Sorry to be devil's advocate here but I'm not sure I agree with inconsistency in naming of engravers - one has 3 names and the other has 2 - and the subject title of the William Maving Gardner page is actually "William Gardner". I am also slightly uncomfortable with using Wikipedia as an approved reference source. When refereeing the UK catalogue for example, our primary references are Krause, Spink and The Royal Mint (formerly Tower Mint).

​Don't be sorry to give your point of view, especially when it's make sense! When I found the Wikipedia page to the engraver I found the name William Maving Gardner. I didn't check the Royal Mint as you mentionned.

But looking at the mint webpage I found "William Gardener" ...
radrick007
Quote: "Indomini16"

​​Don't be sorry to give your point of view, especially when it's make sense! When I found the Wikipedia page to the engraver I found the name William Maving Gardner. I didn't check the Royal Mint as you mentionned.

​But looking at the mint webpage I found "William Gardener" ...
​Well isn't that interesting, just goes to show we all have our faults! I have emailed the RM and will let you know what they say (if they respond!)

I think the point I was trying to make is does it have to be William Maving Gardner or could it just as easily be William Gardner (as indicated in Spink)?

Indomini16
For me doesn't matter at all as far as the link to the engraver pages is keep as a "small" fun history point :-)
radrick007
Don't get me wrong, I am all in favour of the link, I think it is a great idea and adds another interesting piece of info to each coin listing.

I would just like to see a standard adopted of [first name, last name], like when you open the listing for the 20 pence you see the two engravers are Arnold Machin and William Gardner - is it possible to keep the name in this format and still make the link work?

There will obviously be certain exceptions to this standard, for example I don't think we would get away with George Gray since he is much better known as George Edward Kruger Gray.

Quote: "radrick007"
Quote: "Indomini16"
Quote: "radrick007"​​
​​But looking at the mint webpage I found "William Gardener" ...
I have emailed the RM and will let you know what they say (if they respond!)

Looks like Royal Mint (RM) and Royal Mint Museum (RMM) do not even agree on the spelling RM stating "Gardner" for the 20 pence coin. :O
Quotedoes it have to be William Maving Gardner or could it just as easily be William GardnerI have emailed the RM and will let you know what they say (if they respond!)
I don't have any preference be it 2, 3 or 4 names; format was just limited to 3 names with full writing of each. I guess the best would be to create all common possibilities within database for each engraver (info will be the same, just copy-paste). For instance, same info for:
  1. W. Gardner
  2. William Gardner
  3. W. M. Gardner
  4. William M. Gardner
  5. William Maving Gardner
Or
  1. George Gray
  2. G. E. K. Gray
  3. George E. K. Gray
  4. George Edward K. Gray
  5. George E. Kruger Gray
  6. George Edward Kruger Gray

Will check that tomorrow.
radrick007
Thank you pejounet, the other benefit of aligning the engraver names would be to match with the initials showing on the respective design. While you are looking into this, could you also please investigate the possibility of modifying the link for Edgar Bertram MacKennal so that it reads 'Bertram MacKennal' which would tie in with his initials on the coin 'B.M.' (obviously the link would still give his full title of 'Sir Edgar Bertram MacKennal')

Quote: "pejounet"
  1. W. Gardner
  2. William Gardner
  3. W. M. Gardner
  4. William M. Gardner
  5. William Maving Gardner​​
  1. George Gray
  2. G. E. K. Gray
  3. George E. K. Gray
  4. George Edward K. Gray
  5. George E. Kruger Gray
  6. George Edward Kruger Gray​
​Done for these two.
Quote: "radrick007"​Thank you pejounet, the other benefit of aligning the engraver names would be to match with the initials showing on the respective design. While you are looking into this, could you also please investigate the possibility of modifying the link for Edgar Bertram MacKennal so that it reads 'Bertram MacKennal' which would tie in with his initials on the coin 'B.M.' (obviously the link would still give his full title of 'Sir Edgar Bertram MacKennal')
​Done for him with the following ones:
  1. Edgar Bertram MacKennal
  2. E. B. MacKennal
  3. E. Bertram MacKennal
  4. Edgar B. MacKennal
  5. Edgar MacKennal
  6. Bertram MacKennal
radrick007
Excellent, thanks very much for your help, I'll go through and update the catalogue.

nthn
Maybe IRB should link to Ian Rank-Bradley?
Referee for Cayman Islands, Turks and Caicos Islands, Italian states, Niue, Order of Malta, Pitcairn Islands, Samoa, American Samoa, Sarawak, Tibet and Zambia. All of my swap list is for sale.
Quote: "nthn"​Maybe IRB should link to Ian Rank-Bradley?
I also thought about such cases but to date in order to avoid/minimize conflicts within database and people that would have the same initials, I will always stick to these 3 rules:
  1. Engraver must contain at least one name in full i.e. no initials only format;
  2. Initials are always followed by a dot ".";
  3. Always have a space between initials and words even between two initials (except when compound name with dash like Rank-Broadley).

For him I did:
  1. Ian Rank-Broadley
  2. Ian R.-Broadley
  3. Ian Rank-B.
  4. I. Rank-Broadley
  5. I. R.-Broadley
  6. I. Rank-B.
  7. Ian Rank Broadley
  8. Ian R. Broadley
  9. Ian Rank B.
  10. I. Rank Broadley
  11. I. R. Broadley
  12. I. Rank B.
nthn
John Flanagan, also as J. Flanagan

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Flanagan_(sculptor)
Referee for Cayman Islands, Turks and Caicos Islands, Italian states, Niue, Order of Malta, Pitcairn Islands, Samoa, American Samoa, Sarawak, Tibet and Zambia. All of my swap list is for sale.
nthn
William Leslie Bowles

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Leslie_Bowles
nthn
Glenna Goodacre

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glenna_Goodacre

Thomas D. Rogers

http://www.tdrogers.com/
radrick007
QuoteWell isn't that interesting, just goes to show we all have our faults! I have emailed the RM and will let you know what they say (if they respond!)
​It may come as no surprise to most that I have not yet received a reply from the RM.

I have sent another email pointing out to them that the family of the late Mr Gardner may be quite upset that his role in the Royal Mint's history has been incorrectly recorded. We'll see if that makes any difference ...

Quote: "nthn"​John Flanagan, also as J. Flanagan

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Flanagan_(sculptor)
​Done.
Quote: "nthn"​William Leslie Bowles

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Leslie_Bowles
​Done.
Quote: "nthn"​Glenna Goodacre

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glenna_Goodacre

​Thomas D. Rogers

http://www.tdrogers.com/
​Glenna Goodacre - Done.

Thomas D. Rogers - Any clue what the D. stands for? Daniel? :.
nthn
No, I looked and didn't find anything. Here is the wikipedia article for him: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_D._Rogers
Quote: "nthn"​No, I looked and didn't find anything. Here is the wikipedia article for him: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_D._Rogers
​I didn't find on my side. :. Will keep it as is with D. only until I figure out what's the exact name associated.
If anybody else has a clue, feel free to share with us :D
nthn
Anthony C Paguet

http://uspatterns.com/anthonycpaquet.html
Quote: "nthn"​Anthony C. Paquet

​Added.
nthn
Can you also add the name without the middle initial?
Quote: "nthn"​Can you also add the name without the middle initial?
​Done.
nthn
Also William Barber

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Barber_(engraver)
Quote: "nthn"​Also William Barber

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Barber_(engraver)
Added.
nthn
George Edgar Kruger Gray

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Kruger_Gray
nthn
Add

George Edgar Kruger Gray

George Kruger Gray

George K. Gray

to George Edward Kruger Gray (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Kruger_Gray)
radrick007
Quote: "nthn"​Add

​George Edgar Kruger Gray

​George Kruger Gray

​George K. Gray

​to George Edward Kruger Gray (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Kruger_Gray)
​Please don't add Edgar as this is an error

Quote: "radrick007"
Quote: "nthn"​Add
​​
​​George Edgar Kruger Gray
​​
​​George Kruger Gray
​​
​​George K. Gray
​​
​​to George Edward Kruger Gray (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Kruger_Gray)
​​Please don't add Edgar as this is an error
​Except the Edgar one, others are already added.
Indomini16
Hi !
Can you add Alphonse Michaux for this coin by example.
Thanks in advance !
Quote: "Indomini16"​Hi !
​Can you add Alphonse Michaux for this coin by example.
​Thanks in advance !
Added.
Indomini16
Another one :
William Henry James Blakemore for this coin by example.
Thanks in advance !
Quote: "Indomini16"​Another one :
William Henry James Blakemore for this coin by example.
​Thanks in advance !
​Added, but in this case having 2 engravers within the field related block the database link. Will check if this can be solved.
SquareRootLolly
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Yam

For Hong Kong coins.
Reason has always existed, but not always in a reasonable form.
Quote: "SquareRootLolly"https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Yam

​For Hong Kong coins.
Added.
nthn
Raymond Joly (Raymond Charles Joly-Clare)

http://www.worldofcoins.eu/forum/index.php?topic=7241.0
Quote: "nthn"​Raymond Joly (Raymond Charles Joly-Clare)

http://www.worldofcoins.eu/forum/index.php?topic=7241.0
​He's already in the database, see this coin for instance.
hoffman12
I have some additional engravers:

Helmut Andexlinger
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helmut_Andexlinger

Georgios Stamatopoulos
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgios_Stamatopoulos

Miljenko Licul
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miljenko_Licul

Kuzma Kovačić
https://hr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kuzma_Kovačić
Numista referee for Liechtenstein, Ragusa and Saint Barthelemy
Indomini16
Hi,

Alex Colville for this coin.

Thanks on behalf of the french side ;-)
Quote: "Indomini16"​Hi,

Alex Colville for this coin.

​Thanks on behalf of the french side ;-)
​Done from the French side ;)
Indomini16
Jānis Strupulis and Gunārs Lūsis for this coin please :-)
Quote: "Indomini16"Jānis Strupulis and Gunārs Lūsis for this coin please :-)
​Done.
PS: "Engraver" field now supports multiple linking with database (i.e. several engravers). Latvia coin is a good example.
Indomini16
Lyndall Bass for this coin please :-)
SquareRootLolly
https://fr.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adolf_J%C3%A4ger
SquareRootLolly
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Vincze

Thanks,
SRL
Quote: "Indomini16"Lyndall Bass for this coin please :-)
​Done. :)
Quote: "SquareRootLolly"https://fr.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adolf_J%C3%A4ger
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Vincze

​Done for Vincze.
Jäger already exists.
zegeri
Excuse me, but I think I have lost something. Is there any post or announcement about this feature? I didn't know it. How does it work?
Referee for Spain, Hispania (ancient), Suebi Kingdom and Visigothic Kingdom
Quote: "zegeri"​Excuse me, but I think I have lost something. Is there any post or announcement about this feature? I didn't know it. How does it work?
​Hi,
this features exists for a long time but I'm not able to tell you when exactly (I'm going to check if I can find approx. time). The only recent update (few weeks ago) was the support of multiple engravers within the same field.

On each coin page you have the field "Engraver" to input name of the engraver. If the corresponding engraver is in Numista database then the name will be underlined on the page and when hovering a popup box will appear with a short intro about the said engraver. There might also be a picture of him/her.

At right of the underlined name, the arrow icon opens external link with more details about the engraver (mostly Wikipedia links, but it could be another link as long as it presents reliable information; for instance Anthony C. Paquet on this page).

To add an engraver to the database, anybody can just post the name and link here in this thread or this one in French (both started thanks to Indomini16).
zegeri
Thank you, pejounet. I think the engravers of the countries I'm referee, haven't got pages in Wikipedia in English or French.
Referee for Spain, Hispania (ancient), Suebi Kingdom and Visigothic Kingdom
Quote: "zegeri"​Thank you, pejounet. I think the engravers of the countries I'm referee, haven't got pages in Wikipedia in English or French.
​If you have other links than Wikipedia, you can send them and we can have a look.
SquareRootLolly
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otakar_%C5%A0paniel
SquareRootLolly
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacques-Jean_Barre
Quote: "SquareRootLolly"https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otakar_%C5%A0paniel
​Already existing.
Quote: "SquareRootLolly"https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacques-Jean_Barre
​​Already existing under both naming (Jean-Jacques and Jacques-Jean).
el182592
Hi,

More info about Willem Vis (1936-2007) as coin engraver can be found in this Dutch-document :

https://penningmakers.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/11-willem-vis-2007-6-2.pdf

Hoping it will sone be put into the catalog.
But not registered in WikiPedia!
With regards.
Bert.
Netherlands.
Quote: "el182592"​Hi,

​More info about Willem Vis (1936-2007) as coin engraver can be found in this Dutch-document :

https://penningmakers.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/11-willem-vis-2007-6-2.pdf

​Hoping it will sone be put into the catalog.
​But not registered in WikiPedia!
​Hi,
unfortunately I can't add this, current format accepts French and English content only.
adanieluy
List of engravers from EAC (Empresa de Acuñaciones de Cuba=Cuban Minthouse, 1977-2000)

Alberto Gonzalez Pereztol
Alejandro Ramos Figueredo
Belisario Alvarez Collado
Calixto García
Carlos Estrada Alonso
Carlos Estrada de Zayas
Carlos Zaldívar Colina
Carmen Menéndez Allende
E. Cepero
Elena Delgado Alvarez
Forjan Castell
Francisco Puen Avila
Gianna Díaz Suárez
Irene Sierra Carreño
Jorge Fornés Ramos
Jorge Martin Macera
Jorge Rodriguez Arteaga
Leopoldo Yáñez Quesada
Luis Alvarez
Luis Rodríguez Garcia-Casariego
Marcial Yáñez Quesada
María Vilar Alemán
Rafael Artiles Silva
Rigoberto Peláez Alcázar
Ryneel Castellanos Cuesta
Valcambi
Virginia Acebo Toledo
(source: La Moneda de Cuba, José María Aledón)

Additionally, I noticed Barber is showing as Charles E. Barber and Charles Edward Barber.
Barber, US engraver, who designed and engraved first Cuban coins, obverse is still on use on most Cuban coins.
There are 10 types of people, those who understand binary, and those who doesn't.

Catalog Referee for Uruguay, Cuba, Bolivia and Puerto Rico coins.
adanieluy
List of engravers on Uruguayan coins:

Albert-Désiré Barre
Agustín Jouve
Agustín Rivero
Begoña Castellanos
Bernabé Michelena
Carlos Carrizo
Carlos Saavedra
Dalibor Schmidt
Dieter Busse
Enrique Ramán
Ernest Tasset
Ernesto Leborgne
Francisco Matto
Francisco Orellana
Garbiñe López
Garcilaso Rollán
Henri-Auguste Patey
Jorge Nicastro
José Carasola
José Grau
Juan Habegger
Lucien Bazor
Lucien Mège
Luis José Díaz Salas
Luis Marchan
Manuel Espínola Gómez
Mária Poldaufová
Michael Rizzello
Miguel Angel Bía
Miguel Battegazzore
Moriyasu Kohakura
Pedro Urzúa
Pierre Turin
Pierre-Alexandre Morlon
René Thénot
Robert Evans
Roman Lugár
Stefan Novotny
Stuart Devlin
Thomas Paget
(Source: http://www.monedasuruguay.com/temas.htm)
There are 10 types of people, those who understand binary, and those who doesn't.

Catalog Referee for Uruguay, Cuba, Bolivia and Puerto Rico coins.
CassTaylor
Hello,

I'm a bit late to this party, but please add Elizabeth Haddon-Cave; she designed many of Hong Kong's commemorative coins in the 1970s, 80s and 90s; I couldn't find a Wikipedia page for her (this is her husband's, who was also a colonial administrator of Hong Kong, which mentions her work engraving coins) though, unfortunately.

It would still be nice to have her name "Elizabeth Haddon-Cave" added to the list, since there are a few variant spellings in the Hong Kong catalogue at the moment, like "Lady Haddon-Cave" for example.
une Franglaise; ♪ je brosse ma chevelure ♫
Indomini16
Hi,

Please can you add a link to wikipedia for 4 engravers:
Robert-Ralph Carmichael who design this coin for Canada by example
Ludwig Oswald Wenckebach for this coin
Gabriel Hayes for this coin
Richard Guyatt for this coin

Thanks in advance :-)
Jarcek Numista team
Hello all!

Xavier should soon implement Ticket system for various tasks done by admins.

You will be able to create tickets for changes in engravers and then watch the progress on its solving.

This will bring gradual end to various "endless" forum threads and should allow some work load overview.

​Any questions? Let me know!

Best regards,
Jarek
Catalogue administrator, Referee for Kingdom of Bohemia.
apuking
Please link

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces153570.html
with this person
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karl_Schwenzer

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces156403.html
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arnold_Hartig

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces150859.html
https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernest_Wijnants

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces150561.html
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces150562.html
https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gustave_Fischweiler

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces151370.html
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Friedrich_Loos

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces143733.html
https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theodoor_Victor_van_Berckel

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces131227.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guillaume_Dupr%C3%A9

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces129602.html
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces139014.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean_Mauger

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces129558.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean-Pierre_Montagny

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces96336.html
https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%89mile_Rogat

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces129692.html
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces150367.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fr%C3%A9d%C3%A9ric-Charles-Victor_de_Vernon

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces142774.html
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heinrich_Kautsch

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces136648.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jules-Cl%C3%A9ment_Chaplain
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean_Mauger

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces117863.html
https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alphonse_Desaide

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces148244.html
https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis-Alexandre_Bott%C3%A9e

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces154360.html
https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raoul_B%C3%A9nard

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces131229.html
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces150273.html
https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pierre_Turin

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces154354.html
https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcel_Renard

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces154351.html
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces154356.html

Thank you,

Paul
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raymond_Delamarre
If you like coins, medals and tokens with ship motives follow my new instagram account with regular updates @numisnautiker

» Top of the page

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 08:23AM.