Menu

Latest Spink

AngHol
If anyone has the latest edition of Spink, I'd really love to see the 1642-44 Triple Unite section just to see the varieties they list, please.
radrick007
I have the 2017 Spink, will check it and come back to you ...

... well, there's quite a lot, is there something specific you were looking for?

For the benefit of others, 1642-44 was the first two years of the English Civil War, the only time when the Triple Unite was struck, and it was the highest value hammered coin to be produced (60 shillings or 3 pounds).

There were none struck at the Parliament-controlled Tower Mint, there is one type recorded as being produced at the Shrewsbury mint in 1642 but the rest were struck at Oxford (8 types listed in Spink).

Does this help?
Just because you can't see it ... doesn't mean it isn't there - Anon

Catalogue referee for Celtic Britain, England, United Kingdom
AngHol
Quote: "radrick007"​I have the 2017 Spink, will check it and come back to you ...

​... well, there's quite a lot, is there something specific you were looking for?

​For the benefit of others, 1642-44 was the first two years of the English Civil War, the only time when the Triple Unite was struck, and it was the highest value hammered coin to be produced (60 shillings or 3 pounds).

​There were none struck at the Parliament-controlled Tower Mint, there is one type recorded as being produced at the Shrewsbury mint in 1642 but the rest were struck at Oxford (8 types listed in Spink).

​Does this help?
Thanks Rick, I'd love to know about the Oxon types and their price guide if possible!
radrick007
Do you have one, are you planning on buying one or are you just curious?!

Wasn't sure how well a hardback would scan but it seems to have come out ok:

Just because you can't see it ... doesn't mean it isn't there - Anon

Catalogue referee for Celtic Britain, England, United Kingdom
AngHol
Quote: "radrick007"​Do you have one, are you planning on buying one or are you just curious?!

​Wasn't sure how well a hardback would scan but it seems to have come out ok:

Thanks again, I'm thinking about getting one as an investment piece but mostly curiosity got the better of me. If I find one at a reasonable price I truly think that it is a worthwhile investment.
oggy Numista team, Moderator
Terrible investment idea in my opinion. What if coins crash like stamps do? What if somebody finds a hoard? What if the day you auction it off the top few buyers aren't attending, or have already just bought a slightly superior one?

It's illiquid, inflexible, and subject to way too many whims in my opinion.

Used time zone is UTC+2:00.
Current time is 07:09PM.