Russian wire money

8 posts
Could anybody help me to identify and value this ten Russian wire money coins?
Means: year, emperor, anything else ...?

THANX FOR ANY HELP
please make pictures of each coin. Now t is difficult to identify.
I recently bought some of these coins.
It seems that they have a horse with a knight, holding a spear.
Or am I wrong?
I also would like to know the value, just to check I paid the righr price...
Non est totum quod splendet ut aurum
Rijkdom bestaat niet uit het hebben van veel bezittingen, maar in het hebben van weinig behoeften
yes thats rigt, there SHOULD be a rider with spear... And is qute difficult to read the text (even if I can read cyrilic)
Hope some collectors from russia, who know the coins coul d help me /or us/:-)
The 'rider with the spear' is actually Saint George slaying a dragon. Saint George is the patron saint of Moscow.

BTW: the Russian word for 'spear' is копье (kop'jó). The diminutive of this word is копейка (kopéjka). So now you know why till this day, Russians call their money 'little spears'.

This wire money also illustrates the origin for the other Russian word for money, рубль (rouble). It is derived from the verb рубить (roubít') 'to chop': coins were hammered in the end of a silver wire and then chopped off.
Quote: "ArnoV"​The 'rider with the spear' is actually Saint George slaying a dragon. Saint George is the patron saint of Moscow.

​BTW: the Russian word for 'spear' is копье (kop'jó). The diminutive of this word is копейка (kopéjka). So now you know why till this day, Russians call their money 'little spears'.

​This wire money also illustrates the origin for the other Russian word for money, рубль (rouble). It is derived from the verb рубить (roubít') 'to chop': coins were hammered in the end of a silver wire and then chopped off.
The diminutive form of копьё actually has a slightly different spelling, i.e. копейко (obsolete). In any case, these are just theories, not definitive explanations. Some other theories:
- копейка originates from the verb копить - to save/accumulate (money)
- ruble comes from the same root as rupee, both originating from the ancient Indian rupiam
- рубль comes from рубец (rubets) - the technology of how silver rubles were manufactured involved pouring silver into a form in 2 stages, which left a noticeable seam (рубец) where the 2 halves attached
HoH
Pictures are too small to do a proper identification but to me all of them look like wire kopecks of Pyotr I (aka Peter the Great), circa 1700-1717:
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces113703.html
Depending on the weight, grade, and the readability of the text and date the value can fluctuate from $2 to $10 a piece - this period is the most common one.
There is a time for everything - Il y a un temps pour tout - Всему есть свое время - Для всього свій час, і година своя кожній справі під небом
I cropped your picture:

(not sure about the rotation of the horse

Non est totum quod splendet ut aurum
Rijkdom bestaat niet uit het hebben van veel bezittingen, maar in het hebben van weinig behoeften
Number 5 and 9 have too few readable letters and I can't identify them for sure though the font is very similar to the late Pyotr I period. The rest 8 coins are definitely of Pyotr I. Number 2 seems to be of year 1708 (АΨН under the horse belly) and number 6 and 10 have the partial dates, probably also 1708.
There is a time for everything - Il y a un temps pour tout - Всему есть свое время - Для всього свій час, і година своя кожній справі під небом

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 16:36.